Worst Trait/Unit Combinatons

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

silent

Re: Worst Trait/Unit Combinatons

Post by silent »

uzy5o wrote:
silent wrote:My least favourite trait has to be quick/intelligent

[...]

It especially annoys me on magi.
IMO quick/intelligent is the best trait on mages, at least in campaigns, because many campaigns have scenarios that involve fighting undead in caves, and 6 move mages are very useful there. Intelligent is because mages take a lot of exp to level, so it saves exp for other units.
Intelligent/resilient I find to be better. Quick/intelligent units are too easily slaughtered, especially in cramped places such as caves. If I wanted the extra movement point, I'd have a silver mage before then, who are generally the best in campaigns due to cold resistance (since most campaigns involves liches), the extra movement point, and the teleporting to wherever the battle needs the tide to be turned quickly.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I like quick on slow units.
for me it is useless on units with speed 6 and more.
intelligent is useless in the later campaigns.
Strong is less usefull on units with less attacks.

Take a human level one pikeman.

I would make him a level 3 royal guard unless he has quick.
then I would make him level 3 pikeman.
But if he has strong I make him royal guard anyway.

If a human rider has quick I tend to make him paladin.

And for the question:
weak, dim and slow are the most useless traits to me. :mrgreen:
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Strong is always useful. It's more useful on units with more attacks. Strong/Resilient are the only trait combinations I bother to make into Grand Knights usually. One of the worst unit/trait combinations in my opinion though is Quick/Intelligent on a horseman, still you can redeem it by making the unit into a paladin quickly. Quick/Intelligent on a cavalryman on the other hand, is irredeemable.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

I think Intelligent is good in two cases - 1: Major units early in a campaign and 2: For minor units later in the campaign.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

quick/intelligent ulf?
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Good one. Strong/resilient ulfs are the best kind, but quick/strong or quick/resilient isn't too bad. Intelligent is wasted on an ulf, though. They shouldn't even be able to get the trait; and intelligent dwarf would go into a different profession :roll:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't know, intelegent is mostly wasted on ulfserkers I agree, but I've had mp games where it has saved my life. An intelegent ulf can level in three kills. If you can keep them alive for the first two, the threat of a 1 kill away from leveling ulfserker is immense.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

In a long campaign, as with any other fighter, it's nice to have him levelling (with full heal and +3 HP each time) faster.
randomdragoon

Post by randomdragoon »

Intelligent ulfserkers are useful on 70% XP. On certain settings intelligent is absolutely useless (as ulfserkers always either get the kill or get killed, so their XP always advances in multiples of 8 (sometimes 4 against a rare level 0))
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

Tet wrote:I like quick on slow units.
for me it is useless on units with speed 6 and more.
intelligent is useless in the later campaigns.
Strong is less usefull on units with less attacks.

Take a human level one pikeman.

I would make him a level 3 royal guard unless he has quick.
then I would make him level 3 pikeman.
But if he has strong I make him royal guard anyway.

If a human rider has quick I tend to make him paladin.

And for the question:
weak, dim and slow are the most useless traits to me. :mrgreen:
I like quick on slow units (dwarves, HI, especially HI) to round out their disadvantage (this also goes for units, especially magi, that aren't fast in water or on snow in the camps where you need to cross water or snow). I also like quick on fast units such as flying units or elvish scouts because it accentuates their advantage in this area (it's also really helpful in fog!).

I too make decisions about how to level my units based on their traits, especially with elvish archers and trappers, which can each level into either a powerful ranged unit with marksman and a somewhat weaker (though still sometimes useful) melee attack, or into a unit with a somewhat weaker (though still strong) ranged attack, but with a strong melee attack that can even equal the unit's ranged attack in usefulness. If my elvish archer is strong, I'll level him into an elvish ranger to make good use of this trait, but if my elvish archer is dextrous, I will make him into an elvish marksman (and try my hardest to make him into a lvl-3 sharpshooter) to make best use of his dexterity (I do love dextrous Elvish Sharpshooters, especially in the forest against units that have 70% defense, such as assassins, both orcish and otherwise).

The weak, slow, and dim traits are very useful...if the goblins belong to your opponent! :P

Actually, the goblin traits are a trade-off; when the goblins were made to use those traits, they were also made stronger to make up for it.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

healthy ulfserkers are probably worse than intelligent ones, IMO.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I like quick on units with skirmish. Theives and saurians die quickly anyways, so the less hp doesn't matter, while having an extra move can be greatly beneficial when ZoC can't mess with you.

I love strong resilient anythings, except elves, where I like strong/dextrous XD
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Ulfs can get 1 or 2 XP from ranged attacks.
silent

Post by silent »

Thrawn wrote:I like quick on units with skirmish. Theives and saurians die quickly anyways, so the less hp doesn't matter, while having an extra move can be greatly beneficial when ZoC can't mess with you.

I love strong resilient anythings, except elves, where I like strong/dextrous XD
I disagree, I hate quick on saurian skirmishers. Intelligent is the best as they get the extra movement point when they upgrade to ambushers.

An intelligent saurian needs only 2 kills and to survive 2 attacks, something which is easily done against rebels and loyalists in multiplayer
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

personally, i hate quick the most of any stat by itself. also, quick/strong mages are rly annoying to get. and worst of all is when the quick trait gets put on about half of ur units so then u have a bunch of units with 5% less hp trying to fight enemy units that probably have at least normal hp.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code