Tips on my Strategy?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sparta

Tips on my Strategy?

Post by Sparta »

This is a replay of my 2vs2.
It is 2 humans vs 2 computers, but before you start to scream at me, The AI has more villages, not that it would make any difference, just dont comment about it, I know it's bad.
I made this map, its a custom map, its unbalanced regarding the terrain, but its perfectly balanced
symmetrically. For this replay, please do not comment on the map, I know it's bad, its just a quick experiment.

Here is the link to my replay: http://www.2shared.com/file/5044702/e87 ... eplay.html
(Just click on "Save to my PC" on the bottom on the website the replay)

I'd like to hear your thoughts on my style of playing, I am playing as the Rebels, and my teammate was playing as the Undead, the 2 Computers we were facing were both Knalgan Alliance. I'd like to know if I made any mistakes regarding my unit placement, recruitment, choice of attacks, choice of retreats, etc. I had no idea what to recruit at the start, so I went with 3 Elvish Fighters for my bulk of my army.

Thanks to all that sheirs their thoughts on my replay.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: 2v2 replays archive

Post by Turuk »

Less using the maximum size and writing in all caps.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

only 1 person downloaded my replay?
I thought this community was nice, looks like i was wrong
MDG

Post by MDG »

Sparta wrote:only 1 person downloaded my replay?
:annoyed: I don't think it's the community...

This would probably have been better in the "Strategies & Tips" section of the forum...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Tips on my Strategy?

Post by Velensk »

I agree with the person above me. Also, rather than link to some website I can't figure out how to download your replay from, just attach it in the forum. If you do this you're far more likely to get responces.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Well I was considering taking some time out of my day to look at it up until this.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Indeed, if you are going to jump to conclusions about the community, do not expect them to help. You also have to remember that the average age on this community tends be higher than in other game forums, and so many of the players are actually gainfully employed. This means that you may have to wait more than 16 hours for someone to respond to your post at times. Even then, I do not see how a lack of responses makes a community not nice, as you are asking them to go to another site, download your replay, watch it in it's entirety, and then come back with notes on how you could improve your strategy. That's not a simple thing to do, nor is it quick.

Unlike many other game forums, this is a very civil place and we want it to stay like that. Be kind and you will experience a very helpful and friendly community. Be not so kind and you will quickly face a lot of sarcasm and rejection.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

lol.
i actually dont even think about wasting my time downloading this replay ;)

there are tons of replays i COULD download and watch (in order to learn something for example), hell i could even join multiplayer server and join a random game and watch it. are there any special reasons why i should bother downloading your stuff, insert it in savegame folder, watch it, invest time to make resonable notes and stuff. not really.

if i would have some spare time, i would most likely join multiplayer server and play a game

if you want tips about your play style go on multiplayer server and play some 2v2 - your team mate will (if he is a a talkative mood) help you and give you some tips.

that all needs your cooperation and also you cannot exspect that everybody will be extremely nice to you.

seriously, giving tips on a random game vs ai is waste of time anyway, read the various how-to-play-hints by JW and others. thats good enough for starters. (for me it was)

and then: play, play, play on multiplayer server
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Commenting while playing it.

Map stinks. Yea you said dont comment. But it can't be avoided because the map has such a huge effect on gameplay. It looks completely one-dimansional so far and no strategy seems to be needed, especially not vs AI..

Undead recruits about ok, but I'd sure get a ghost.
Do elves need so many archers? I dont think so? You should definitely get a shaman or two plus scout at start would have been useful.

Turn 6) Was it necessary to get that bat killed? As for the elven side, big mistake. Never move all your troops THEN attack, its a bad habit. Do the attacks one-by-one. You also meleed with fighter. What for?

Turn 8) I stop commenting here. Chokepoints and halt. No need to watch map any longer sorry.

Seriously, do what Mabuse said. Go to the official server and play some games, you will learn fast.
JW

Post by JW »

Sparta wrote:I thought this community was nice, looks like i was wrong
Look inward my young apprentice.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Sparta wrote:I'd like to hear your thoughts on my style of playing, I am playing as the Rebels, and my teammate was playing as the Undead, the 2 Computers we were facing were both Knalgan Alliance. I'd like to know if I made any mistakes regarding my unit placement, recruitment, choice of attacks, choice of retreats, etc. I had no idea what to recruit at the start, so I went with 3 Elvish Fighters for my bulk of my army.

Thanks to all that sheirs their thoughts on my replay.
Ok, I haven't watched the replay, but just going off this post, some comments:

First, Knalgans vs Rebels is a tough fight, at least I've always found so. You're faster than the dwarves, but they are very hard to kill, especially with most Rebel units.

Second, I would not make fighters the bulk of your army, since they are first and formost melee fighters, and that plays to the strength of most dwarven units. Fighters would be good however for cutting up footpads and poachers, so maybe its not a terrible choice. But you need ranged units. By which I mean mages, or at least archers if mages are too pricy for you.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I'm shutting this thread down before it gets out of control. Nothing good can come from this.

Asking people to comment on a play style, vs. AI, on a strange map is going to garner you nothing useful, and plenty of ridicule.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty