Rise of Wesnoth - Fallen Lich Point

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

silent

Rise of Wesnoth - Fallen Lich Point

Post by silent »

I'm currently having difficulty in this part of the campaign. I cannot seem to effectively surround the undead while having a few units nearby to dispatch any stray green orcs that come my way

I'm playing it on version 1.4.7 (the latest stable version) on medium difficulty

I'm starting with 100 gold. Is this too little? should I replay some earlier scenarios to try and increase it?

Also, these are the units I have levelled so far if this helps

2 Trappers
1 Lady Jessica at level 3
1 Knight - Sir Ruddry
1 White Mage - Minister Edmond
1 Grand Knight
1 Royal Guard
2 Iron Mauler
1 Shock Trooper
1 Bandit
1 Outlaw
1 Red Mage
1 Silver Mage
1 White Mage
TheGreatRings

Re: Rise of Wesnoth - Fallen Lich Point

Post by TheGreatRings »

silent wrote:I'm currently having difficulty in this part of the campaign. I cannot seem to effectively surround the undead while having a few units nearby to dispatch any stray green orcs that come my way

I'm playing it on version 1.4.7 (the latest stable version) on medium difficulty

I'm starting with 100 gold. Is this too little? should I replay some earlier scenarios to try and increase it?

2 Trappers
1 Knight - Sir Ruddry
1 Grand Knight
1 Royal Guard
2 Iron Mauler
1 Shock Trooper
1 Bandit
1 Outlaw
1 Red Mage
1 Silver Mage
1 White Mage
Dont give up, I beat it with 100 gold I think and about a third that recall list. :D Took me a while though, and a lot of it likely comes down to luck.

Ok, first of all, recruit units that are good against undead. I'd say the 2 iron maulers, the shock trooper, a white mage, and the silver due to speed (teleport). Or it might be good to recall something fast and grab outlying villages. Mages are so slow in snow, which is a huge detriment on this map. In fact, one problem with this map is that most decent anti-undead units just limp along except on the path. So maybe recall a knight instead of the silver and have it grabbing villages while the others fight lich. Then have it join up again to fight orcs.

Of course, you'll need a lot of luck to beat it, so unless you can stand replaying a lot, go back for more gold. In fact, you may want to do that anyway, since you'll need the gold later as well. The senarios don't get much easier after this, trust me.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
silent

Post by silent »

edit: I forgot I also have another knight and Burin

Cannot believe I forgot the best dialogue character so far

edit: never mind I managed to beat it

thanks The great rings. It was possible. But I made the mistake of not getting villages early or defeating the Orc Leaders first
Also that The blue lost most of their units in order to defeat the 2 yetis helped
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

The Great Rings wrote: Ok, first of all, recruit units that are good against undead. I'd say the 2 iron maulers, the shock trooper,
Objection, iron maulers and shock trooper cannot access mountain hexes. It's still good to have them around just not fighting the undead.

Greetz
HomerJ

Edit: Messed up quote
Last edited by HomerJ on February 20th, 2009, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Six years without a signature!
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

HomerJ wrote:Objection, iron maulers and shock trooper cannot access mountain hexes. It's still good to have them around just not fighting the undead.

Greetz
HomerJ
As noted above, a problem with this map is that some (though not perhaps all) of the good anti-undead units have rather limited mobility. However, the shock troopers and iron maulers can attack through the path into the lich's fortress, and can hit undead that move out of their fortress. If you can open a gap in the undead lines, I think the iron mauler can sometimes get in a killing blow on the lich.

And silent, you beat it by going after the orcs first? Is it much easier that way? I always went for the lich first. Sometimes this may have allowed the orcs to gain an insurmountable advantage, but I guess that, given the time limit, I was reluctant to head north, then south, then north again.

Oh, and you're right: the Yetis really help. :D
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
silent

Post by silent »

The Great Rings

Yep It does

If all goes well the yetis should die against the blue orcs forces, but leave him seriously undermanned. You should restart if one has AMLA'd or has high health w/o poison. I took out the green Orc's forces along the way and killed him with sir ruddry, an Iron Mauler, a silver mage and Jessica. I sent Burin, 2 white mages, a red, an Iron Mauler and my highwayman (forgot i advanced my bandit). Because this scenario allows you to hoard more gold from villages than getting an early turn finish bonus, you can afford to delay advancing on the lich, long enough for his -ve gold income to reduce his gold to 0.

This is when you strike the lich. Your higwayman, Burin and the Iron mauler on the path will take the counter attack while your mages strike down the revenants (boneshooters should be hanled by melee units if possible). Afterwards send a small force after the blue while grabbing villages and moving Haldric towards the drain pipe

Note: This was on medium in 1.4.7
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

The Great Rings wrote: If you can open a gap in the undead lines, I think the iron mauler can sometimes get in a killing blow on the lich.
Point taken, for me, I usually use Haldric himself plus Sir Ruddy (usually a paladin at that point).

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I found at that stage with what I had on the map (I did it w/ about 150 gold) I could have taken down a single surviving yeti in about two turns. I did so from 3/4 hitpoints & poisoned.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Spookyspider

Post by Spookyspider »

I did that map just by taking out the both orc forces, which was really easy, by staying in forests and so. I had only two Holy knights (level 3 horseman) and a couple of random 2 level units. When I took the orcs out, I opened the "seal" and moved haldric to the mountain pass. I didn't have any shock trooppers neither those maulers. But Burin did the job well with the lich :)
"I don't read scripts - scripts read me"
mcv

Post by mcv »

I had two Paladins, who killed the lich on the turn it woke up (or possibly one turn later). I also had two shock-troopers, but they were kinda useless in comparison to the Paladins (one of them did manage to do something useful, though).

What I did was: race my main force south, while a handful of mobile or anti-orc units grabbed villages towards the north and held off the orcs. These were Jessica, a Lancer, a Silver Mage (beceause he can quickly teleport south once he's needed there), and later a longbowman and a grand knight.

In the south, I surrounded the northern half of the undead, woke them up, smashed the two front units from all directions, killing them. Jumped the paladins into those two spots and killed the lich.

What I did wrong was keep Prince Haldric in the south for too long. After opening the seal, he should run north if you don't want to wait for ages for him to get there. Wiping out the orcs doesn't end the scenario.

Also, the yetis helped a lot. While poisoned, they still wiped out one orc army, and I got some extra XP from killing two badly damaged yetis.
DEAD-HEAD

Post by DEAD-HEAD »

silent wrote: February 20th, 2009, 6:00 am I'm currently having difficulty in this part of the campaign. I cannot seem to effectively surround the undead while having a few units nearby to dispatch any stray green orcs that come my way

2 Trappers
1 Knight - Sir Ruddry
1 Grand Knight
1 Royal Guard
2 Iron Mauler
1 Shock Trooper
1 Bandit
1 Outlaw
1 Red Mage
1 Silver Mage
1 White Mage
Surround the hexes around his units with heavy infantries(Recruits) and backed by mages and then open seal with Haldric,Jessene and other physical hitters and new horsemen should go up except for a Bandit and after spell Haldric closer his units for leadership and kill two enemies adjacent and then occupy tiles with mages and kill him
gamer&memer
mcv

Post by mcv »

That's some epic thread necromancy! I'd nearly forgotten I ever played this game, and certainly any details about this particular scenario.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

mcv wrote: August 24th, 2019, 11:00 am That's some epic thread necromancy!
Yes. Please check the dates and don't answer questions from ten years ago. It's not that helpful.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide