Elvish Guide

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kalenz

Elvish Guide

Post by Kalenz »

Hi!
It's my first post, & i want talk u, how play with elvs:
1)elv's very - very strong vs. drakes; elvish - fighter, & elvish - archer very strong vs. all drake, all drake's level.
but elvish tree very afraid drake's fire, & tree not very strong in the battle with all drake.
2)Vs. humans elvish warriors no very strong, but in the night elvs kill humans very fast.
But in the day humans can very fast kill all elv, if elv without leadership. Because, in small maps very need hero with leadership,on a big map - need strong hero(elvish - hero, elvis archer, etc...)
3)Vs. undreads elvish warriors very bad fight, but elvs have a mage, & it save elvish warriors :)
But, dont forget, u must defend mages. Better u must use tree, they are strong, & have good defend.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Elvish Guide

Post by Turuk »

Fixed your title to proper spelling.

If you are going to create a guide to benefit new or inexperienced players with how to play properly as the Rebels faction, you are going to need to use clear, coherent sentences that make use of proper structure and punctuation (capitalization too). Currently your guide verges on unintelligible, and any actual tips and advice is lost.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
AgentTBC

Post by AgentTBC »

I'm betting that English isn't his first language so he's probably doing the best he can.

Well, not using "u" instead of "you" and such obviously.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

AgentTBC wrote:I'm betting that English isn't his first language so he's probably doing the best he can.
Punctuation, capitalization, and the use of sentences are universal.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Kalenz

Post by Kalenz »

Turuk, sank for help)))
Im russian, & have bad english :cry:
Sorry me all, my texts have many warnings...
I very like this forum)
lamperouge

Post by lamperouge »

despite the terrible grammar, I found it to be generally helpful. It was still written in a coherent manner. Perhaps this translation of his guide will make it a bit more acceptable? :wink:
Kalenz-

Although this is my first post, I would like to point out some helpful tips I've discovered while playing elves

- when playing against drakes, elves have a general advantage. The archer is very effective against them because of his pierce attack, especially when backed up by elvish fighters. Wose, however, should not be used because of their slowness and especially their weakness to fire (seeing as most drakes have some sort of fire ranged attack).

-when playing against humans, the elvish warrior is not very strong against the human's powerful melee units. Be sure to only fight either at dawn or at night because of human's 25% bonus during the day. In a small map, be sure to have a stronger leader. I suggest the Elvish Captain because of his 25% leadership bonus to surrounding troops.

-when playing against undead, the elvish warrior is not very effective offensively because of the enemies general resistance to blades and pierce. Mages, however, are very effective in taking out undead units. Be sure to protect your mages, however. They are expensive but not very resilient to damage. Wose are quite effective at absorbing damage for your mages. Be sure to fall back at night

-Lamp
Kalenz

Post by Kalenz »

Am...
Sank, i look my warning, so sorry me again...
I very bad write this text, but i will correct my others posts)))
Now i learn write posts good, and (i talked it) will correct my posts.
Sank for help, Lamperouge)))
U are kind & klever.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Pretty basic information, but all pretty much correct.

Personally though I've found that fighters are not strictly essential in supporting archers against drakes. I haven't played enough elf vs drake fights to know weather this was just a fluke, but I found I could beat drakes easily enough with an archer-based army. Sure, the archers might die more easily, but (correct me if I'm wrong) they do potentially way more damage, and of course they're faster.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think you're wrong.

Fighters may not be essential if your enemy recruits drakes and strictly drakes, however saurians at night can remove archers and are much more easily killed with fighters than archers.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Velensk wrote:I think you're wrong.

Fighters may not be essential if your enemy recruits drakes and strictly drakes, however saurians at night can remove archers and are much more easily killed with fighters than archers.
Alright, I suppose that if your opponent is using a lot of saurians, bringing some fighters is probably wise.

Question: are woses any good vs saurians? I don't play Rebels vs Drakes too much.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

About Elves being "very strong" against Drakes: I think Drakes are actually the hardest faction for Elves to beat. When the Drakes are played well of course. :P

And yes, you absolutely do need fighters, to hold key positions, attack saurians, etc.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
lamperouge

Post by lamperouge »

Doc Paterson wrote:About Elves being "very strong" against Drakes: I think Drakes are actually the hardest faction for Elves to beat. When the Drakes are played well of course. :P
I agree. The fact that drakes can very easily be both lawful and chaotic make the neutral elves almost always have an efficiency disadvantage regarding time of day (BIG disadvantage, that means elves are almost always fighting at 25% disadvantage :(). The general Drake fire resistance makes mages just about useless a large portion of the time. The drake mobility allows for the drake player to make the unit match-ups. Done correctly, the elfish archers will wind up fighting saurians (not good for the archers) and the fighters wind up fighting the drakes (definitely not good for the fighters xD). Scouts get eaten alive especially because they don't have their usual mobility advantage, mages are useless, and wose just get burnt to a cinder by burners and some other drake units... basically elves are left with THREE units to fight drakes with. Only having three units makes your options very limited, meaning the opponent has a much easier time foreseeing what you are going to do...

just a few reasons why I hate playing against drakes when I am using the rebels faction.
Kalenz

Post by Kalenz »

Dont know...
If i play elv's vs. drakes, i very often win...
Drakes attack all my warriors & my units good defend himself...
In all my attack, vs. drake, often i have very good results.
But u can think, if u want, & every warrior, in good hands, can kill many other units.)))
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Kalenz wrote:But u can think, if u want, & every warrior, in good hands, can kill many other units.
Well, uh, yes, any unit in the hands of a capable player can be used to kill many other units. That's what we call leveling. ;)
TL

Post by TL »

In general I've found elves to be relatively easy prey for drakes: unless they get dextrous archers (which account for less than half of all elvish archers, and have to be babysat very carefully since they die quickly outside of forest) their attack strength is rather mediocre (5-4 isn't anything to write home about, even against drakes' poor defense). They can sit in their forests and villages and counterattack when the drakes come a-knocking, but once they leave their cushy 60%+ defense they're drake food.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned shamans yet, as they can really make or break this for the elves. Not only do drakes tend to have slightly smaller armies than usual due to unit costs, but the elvish matchup is one with a strong incentive to split between drakes/saurians (among other things, those magic attacks are important for forcing the hippies out of their forests)--which means at any given time of day, drakes will tend to have a relatively small number of units doing the heavy lifting. If you can kill a drake or two and slow a couple more, you've just negated a huge chunk of their daytime fighting capability, leaving them with a mix of daylight-impaired saurians and half-strength drakes to fight your elves.