Nice Campaign

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dorgendubal

Nice Campaign

Post by Dorgendubal »

I just finished the whole compaign (without cheating!) ... it was hard.

The best strategy is to keep units alive in order to make them experienced. I noticed that it was better to finish later a scenario with more experienced units than earlier with lot's of gold for the next scenario

White mages are very useful, because they can heal other units!!!

For example, in scenario 3, i put a white mage in a city (in water) with all the mermen i could rescue around him. I used all the other units on land. Result: I lost no unit.

A last word: I LOVE THE ARCH MAGES !!

Thank you for the wonderful game.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I'm glad to hear you liked the game! :)

Your use of the white mage in scenario 3 is a very good tactic. Of course, it's rather difficult to get a white mage by scenario 3!

I must admit I've never been able to actually get an Arch Mage...yet! Of course, I hope you realize, Arch Mages can advance again :-)

There are going to be more scenarios added in upcoming versions, so look out for them. I hope to have around 24 scenarios for the campaign by version 1.0. For Konrad's campaign anyhow. There may be other campaigns too!

David
Dorgendubal

Post by Dorgendubal »

Dave wrote: Your use of the white mage in scenario 3 is a very good tactic. Of course, it's rather difficult to get a white mage by scenario 3!
I got it from scenario 2. However, i had to restart 12 times the scenario 1 and 8 times the scenario 2 in order to loose no unit. I had then precious experimented units for the next scenarii.

For the scenario 7 (princess's revenge), I found a very good strategy. It consists of quickly recall your most powerful & fast units and to catch the south castle in 3-4 turns. I left my mermen (5) in the water around the initial castle in order to slow the ennemy progression. At turn 7, other reinforcements arrive from the south. I lost all my mermen but i lost no other unit. Walking Corpses are very slow and only reach the south castle at turn 11. I just had to fight some Wraights.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

8) It should have took time!!!
I usually just play all the scenarios in a row (not done since 0.3.3 or 0.3.4) and play as best I can ...
Keep playing :-)
I will try to finish a couple of scenarios (just after the plot pics, the character faces, the combat animations ...) that I have half done and send them to david to be redone (and rewritten, my engrish sucks... ;) )
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

That sounds like a great strategy to deal with scenario 7, Dorgendubal!

Finishing the scenario without losing any units other than first level ones is a great achievement.

I like just playing one scenario after another too, like fmunoz. I'm currently trying to play through version 0.4, but am only up to scenario 3 so far.

David
Dorgendubal

Post by Dorgendubal »

I forgot to ask you. What is the goal of scenario 8? I succeeded in killing the ennemy but how can you train Griffons? I killed the main Griffon, the others then disappeared. I saw the eggs, but impossible to train Griffons.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The goal of that scenario is currently to kill the mother gryphon as well as the human general. I believe it says that in the scenario objectives as of version 0.4.

The eggs are currently just there for scenery. I guess we could change it to make it very hard to kill all the gryphons and the aim is simply to steal some eggs.

Scenario 8 is meant to be easy, since we ('we' being fmunoz and I - I designed scenario 7, fmunoz designed scenario 8) figure that most players will have a rather tattered army by the end of scenario 7. Scenario 8 gives you a chance to rebuild a little. If you slaughtered scenario 7, scenario 8 shouldn't give you much trouble at all.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of scenario 9 as of version 0.4. I've barely played scenario 9 myself, and I'd like to know how easy/hard it is.

David
Dorgendubal

Post by Dorgendubal »

I will test it with pleasure.

I think it was good idea to modify scenario 1 and to add renforts. Did you change other scenarii, too ?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dorgendubal wrote: I think it was good idea to modify scenario 1 and to add renforts. Did you change other scenarii, too ?
What do you mean by 'renforts'? I assume 'allies'?

Some other scenarios had minor changes. Now that I think about it I meant to make scenario 3 easier, but forgot to. I did add a trident in there which could help out if one of your mermen got it. I assume you're more interested in scenarios getting harder rather than easier though :-)

Scenario 6 is now harder because the princess doesn't surrender until you 'kill' her. Wraiths are slightly more powerful now - they started off very powerful, so I weakened them, but probably a little too much, so I made them a little more powerful again.

Scenario 9 was made into an actually playable scenario, and you can get gryphon riders in it. (In the version you played, there may have not been a scenario 9 at all, I'm not sure).

Any recommendations for changes to scenarios are welcome. I'm looking at implementing difficulty levels for a soon-to-come version.

David
Dorgendubal

Post by Dorgendubal »

Dave wrote: What do you mean by 'renforts'? I assume 'allies'?
Oops. Wrong translation from french. :oops: Yes I meant 'allies'.
Dave wrote: I assume you're more interested in scenarios getting harder rather than easier though :-)
No no. Harder will mean 'too hard'. I think that the scenario 1, 3 and 7 were too hard.
Dave wrote: Scenario 9 was made into an actually playable scenario, and you can get gryphon riders in it. (In the version you played, there may have not been a scenario 9 at all, I'm not sure).
I played version 0.3.4. There was indeed no scenario9 at all.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dorgendubal wrote: No no. Harder will mean 'too hard'. I think that the scenario 1, 3 and 7 were too hard.
Oh I meant levels other than those three. I certainly wouldn't make levels 1 and 3 any harder, except maybe on the 'hard' difficulty level ;-)

But...do you really think level seven is 'too' hard? I know it is hard, but it's not early in the game any more, and the players should be getting ready for a tough challenge. May I ask how many times you lost to it before you won?

David
Dorgendubal

Post by Dorgendubal »

The first time I played the campaign, I didn't possess enough experimented units and I was not enable to succeed. I tried 5-6 times.

Then, I restarted the whole campaign and tried to get as much experimented units as i could, rather than finishing a scenario as fast as possible. This time, I had more than 10 experimented (level 2 or 3) units, and the scenario 7 was not a problem any more.

The problem in scenario 7 is the wraights. (i read that you re-balanced them => i should test the scenario again). These are very fast, powerful (also against Knights), and they are regenerated if they do dommages.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oh uhh...I actually made wraiths a little more powerful than in 0.3.4. It sounds like that was a mistake :-)

I will make them as weak as in 0.3.4 again. Will look to make them weaker again or the AI recruit them less if they are still too powerful.

BTW would you be at all interested in doing a translation of the game into French? :-)

David
Dorgendubal

Post by Dorgendubal »

Dave wrote: BTW would you be at all interested in doing a translation of the game into French? :-)
I will do it with pleasure. But i don't have much time for the 3 next weeks (diplom these).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Ermmm...actually as it has it, Guillliame already offered to do a French translation in another thread. You can look over/edit his translation though if you want.

David