How to kill Longbowmen?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

grrr

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by grrr »

Oh yeah? Only a joke? How could you possibly know ... we are deadly serious about this one!!!
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Ah, whether he is joking or not, he sure is hillarious :D how to kill a longbowman? Pro tip: attack it until it dies. No, really, tried it, it works!
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Once again, this issue of unbalancing shows how the autocratic and arrogant Wesnoth "designers" and "developers" continue to put out an unbalanced game. Next to their refusal to include a Lord of the Rings campaign, this is the most egrerious display of power tripping I have seen from the Wesnoth development team.

There are several minor fixes for the unkillable Longbowman. The Mage could have a deterministic hit. One of the teams could use resources to build up a special castle square that would offer 90% defense. One of the leaders could find a magic book that taught them the X-Zone spell, or they could perhaps summon a fat chocobo to fall on the Longbowman's head.

But really, I think the only real solution is to rewrite Wesnoth as a Real Time Strategy, so that the Longbowman can be attacked safely as the player of his side is reading this thread.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Eolith
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Post by Eolith »

Glowing Fish wrote:But really, I think the only real solution is to rewrite Wesnoth as a Real Time Strategy, so that the Longbowman can be attacked safely as the player of his side is reading this thread.
The inability to attack an enemy without their having some way to fight back is a feature in every Real Time Strategy Game I have ever played. Still, the Longbowman can be attacked with relative impunity, since he is almost dead unlike the vast majority of the units around him. Also, there are at least three units nearby with magic attacks, meaning it does not matter what terrain the Longbowman is on, they will still have a 70% chance of hitting him.
Glowing Fish wrote:There are several minor fixes for the unkillable Longbowman. The Mage could have a deterministic hit. One of the teams could use resources to build up a special castle square that would offer 90% defense. One of the leaders could find a magic book that taught them the X-Zone spell, or they could perhaps summon a fat chocobo to fall on the Longbowman's head.
I have seen that kind of thing happen in campaigns, and some survival type scenarios. It takes special coding that not everybody wants to do.
Glowing Fish wrote:Once again, this issue of unbalancing shows how the autocratic and arrogant Wesnoth "designers" and "developers" continue to put out an unbalanced game. Next to their refusal to include a Lord of the Rings campaign, this is the most egrerious display of power tripping I have seen from the Wesnoth development team.
By the way, The Lord of the Rings is copyrighted. Otherwise I would probably be working on a campaign for that now myself.

Also, how much do you know about coding? Some of that stuff can be pretty hard to do (and I should know. I have been working on a campaign and an era to go with it for a while now. Of course, my ancient Win 98 computer is probably part of the problem.)

Oh, and thanks for introducing me to the word "egrerious." I like learning new words.
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

I can't tell if Eolith is double-bluffing or got trolled.

I found it hilarious though glow :lol2:
Eolith
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Post by Eolith »

Good! That means I did something right. :wink:
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)