How to kill Longbowmen?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Elvish Scientist
Posts: 62
Joined: February 18th, 2005, 11:06 am

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Kollle wrote:I hope you all fall off a bridge and die painfully.
That might work for longbow men as well..

Swift
Posts: 51
Joined: August 29th, 2008, 11:55 am
Location: Norway

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Swift »

I think I can explain his behaviour, ehm... That longbowman was Kollle.
Attachments
incredible.jpg

User avatar
zookeeper
WML Wizard
Posts: 9740
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 10:40 pm
Location: Finland

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by zookeeper »

:D

I want more threads like this.

claudya
Posts: 49
Joined: September 22nd, 2008, 7:50 pm
Location: Jena, Germany

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by claudya »

Eh, really?
You want more threads from people asking "Help, I'm screwed in my game, what to do?"

Wouldn't that be like cheating via mobile phone in an exam??
Last edited by claudya on November 12th, 2008, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobra
Posts: 273
Joined: October 6th, 2008, 1:57 pm
Location: USA, Land of the free, Home of the brave.

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by cobra »

claudya wrote:Eh, really?
You want more threads from people asking "Help I'm screwed in my game, what to do?"

Wouldn't that like cheating via mobile phone in an exam??
:lol2: Yes, it would.

And by the way Swift, never doubt Chuck Norris. :P
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra

User avatar
Wintermute
Inactive Developer
Posts: 840
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm
Location: On IRC as "happygrue" at: #wesnoth-mp

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Wintermute »

zookeeper wrote::D

I want more threads like this.
:lol2:

It does get better and better, doesn't it? :D
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."

User avatar
doofus-01
Art Contributor
Posts: 3843
Joined: January 6th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Location: land of boot-licking, craven prostitutes posing as senators

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by doofus-01 »

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like grrr & Co. had Kollle in a check-mate and were gloating. I'd be a little annoyed if I were Kollle. You really want more of this?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

EDIT: OK, apparently I am being dense. I have no idea what's going on here. I'll just mind my own business in the future.
Last edited by doofus-01 on November 12th, 2008, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kollle
Posts: 73
Joined: December 4th, 2005, 5:16 am
Location: Marooned on an ice floe...

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Kollle »

doofus-01 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like grrr & Co. had Kollle in a check-mate and were gloating. I'd be a little annoyed if I were Kollle. You really want more of this?

Sorry if I'm being dense.
People always want more. Always. :wink:

But yeah. I still move for execution.

Kavalion
Posts: 8
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:11 am

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Kavalion »

Only your red mage can hurt the longbowmen, because the rest of your units are elves.

Valenwood
Posts: 57
Joined: February 19th, 2007, 4:26 am
Location: Sweden

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Valenwood »

grrr wrote:Hello Wesfolks,

we are currently in a 3v3 team game, and the only leader left from the other team is a longbowman. We have rebels, so how are we supposed to kill it? It has no negative resistances (I already checked!) and it can hurt every of our units!
You recruit the Valie unit and charge-hug it :)

User avatar
Eolith
Posts: 138
Joined: August 11th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Eolith »

Kavalion wrote:Only your red mage can hurt the longbowmen, because the rest of your units are elves.
Hold on a minute. I have played as Loyalists before and had my Longbowmen massacred by the elves. And all three leaders fighting against the Longbowman have magic attacks ranged, meaning they have a 70% chance of hitting the Longbowman ranged, while the Longbowman has a 40% chance of hitting the Red Mage and a 70% chance of hitting the Elvish Druid. The two Elvish Fighters by the Red Mage have a 50% chance of hitting the Longbowman who has a 40% chance of hitting them in return. The same is true of the Elvish Ranger, except the Longbowman has a 60% chance of hitting her. The Elvish Shaman, like the Elvish Druid, only has 30% defense in water- and almost no HP. Also, the Longbowman looks like he has only a few HP left, meaning it will only take one, or at the most 2 or 3, hits to kill him. That can be done easily by any other leader in sight (Red Mage, Elvish Druid, Elvish Sorceress). The only unit in any real danger at this point would be the Elvish Shaman who should be pulled out for healing immediately. Other than that, you could swarm the Longbowman with the other units (including level 1s and 2s) until he dies. Trust me, it works- even on mass murderers like Ancient Lichs (who are much harder to beat, let me tell you. Except if you have a Mage of Light and a few White Mages, and you are willing to sacrifice someone, in which case the Mage of Light is unnecessary. Red Mages and Elvish Sorceresses are also good, but that is beside the point.)

One minor tip, never attack with a weak unit you don't want killed if you can help it. Since there is only one unit there that meets that description (despite the Red Mage having about 2/3 health- he can be pulled back and put someone else forward to finish the enemy off) you really do not need to worry.
Swift wrote:I think I can explain his behaviour, ehm... That longbowman was Kollle.
Understandable. Who wants someone else telling his opponents how to kill him? Kollle, don't worry too much. It happens to everyone eventually. And if you are lucky, your leader won't get hit and will advance instead (it happens, although only once in a blue moon- I have gotten about 3 or 4 level 2s that way and 1 level 3). Then you might be able to get on the keep and recruit, assuming you have the money. That might give you a new lease on life- unless you have already lost in which case I am too late. :(
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)

Kollle
Posts: 73
Joined: December 4th, 2005, 5:16 am
Location: Marooned on an ice floe...

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Kollle »

I'm afraid you are all too late; any meaning my life may have once had has been ruthlessly smashed by the cruel makers of this thread. All I can possibly hope for is to wreak a terrible vengeance upon them before my weak and exhausted husk of a body gives out entirely; only then can I find true peace and satisfaction.

But by all means, give me more of these wonderous tips of yours. I will be sure to utilise all of them when I make my final stand.

Swift
Posts: 51
Joined: August 29th, 2008, 11:55 am
Location: Norway

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Swift »

Eolith wrote:
Kavalion wrote:Only your red mage can hurt the longbowmen, because the rest of your units are elves.
Hold on a minute. I have played as Loyalists before and had my Longbowmen massacred by the elves. And all three leaders fighting against the Longbowman have magic attacks ranged, meaning they have a 70% chance of hitting the Longbowman ranged, while the Longbowman has a 40% chance of hitting the Red Mage and a 70% chance of hitting the Elvish Druid. The two Elvish Fighters by the Red Mage have a 50% chance of hitting the Longbowman who has a 40% chance of hitting them in return. The same is true of the Elvish Ranger, except the Longbowman has a 60% chance of hitting her. The Elvish Shaman, like the Elvish Druid, only has 30% defense in water- and almost no HP. Also, the Longbowman looks like he has only a few HP left, meaning it will only take one, or at the most 2 or 3, hits to kill him. That can be done easily by any other leader in sight (Red Mage, Elvish Druid, Elvish Sorceress). The only unit in any real danger at this point would be the Elvish Shaman who should be pulled out for healing immediately. Other than that, you could swarm the Longbowman with the other units (including level 1s and 2s) until he dies. Trust me, it works- even on mass murderers like Ancient Lichs (who are much harder to beat, let me tell you. Except if you have a Mage of Light and a few White Mages, and you are willing to sacrifice someone, in which case the Mage of Light is unnecessary. Red Mages and Elvish Sorceresses are also good, but that is beside the point.)

One minor tip, never attack with a weak unit you don't want killed if you can help it. Since there is only one unit there that meets that description (despite the Red Mage having about 2/3 health- he can be pulled back and put someone else forward to finish the enemy off) you really do not need to worry.
Thanks for the tips, Though we are still trying to play that replay over and over again, with new tactics each time. We've tried the economical tactic (taking over all the villages), we've tried flanking him on all 6 sides, we've tried more desperate moves like, trying to slow him with shaman --> shaman dies (which goes strictly against your minor tip Eolith) --> but buys us more time to regroup. Yet still not managed to win. Even as much I want to give up, I have a feeling we soon might be able to make it!

User avatar
Eolith
Posts: 138
Joined: August 11th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by Eolith »

Swift wrote:Yet still not managed to win.
Do you mean win in one turn, or win period? I think I missed something here.
Kollle wrote: But by all means, give me more of these wonderous tips of yours. I will be sure to utilise all of them when I make my final stand.
Well, if you know enough about coding, you might be able to put a gliche into the game that will turn your leader into the corresponding Undead unit when he dies (Bone Shooter, of course, which is actually a bit weaker when you look at it carefully...)

It looks like your final stand in this one is just about nonexistent, but you will have another chance in another game, I am sure.
I would suggest we play a 1 on 1 because it is easier to give tips when you know that person's playing style, but I am not able to play BfW online, unfortunately. I'll have to download that replay sometime.
Kollle wrote:All I can possibly hope for is to wreak a terrible vengeance upon them before my weak and exhausted husk of a body gives out entirely; only then can I find true peace and satisfaction.


Sounds like an Undead Lord (a.k.a. a Lich or Necromancer), but I know the feeling; I nearly had that happen to me once while playing Drakes vs Undead on Auction X, but a computer player got in his way and my Drake Flameheart leader with about 5 HP managed to escape. He gave up when he saw how many units I was recruiting to send against his Bone Shooters and Dark Sorcerers. The difference here is I was not completely surrounded, otherwise I would have lost. Ah, well, I switched the tables next game.
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)

MDG
Posts: 378
Joined: June 7th, 2007, 11:18 am
Location: UK

Re: How to kill Longbowmen?

Post by MDG »

Eolith, this topic is a joke topic between the various players involved. I don't think they are actually looking for tips or expecting it to be taken too seriously...

Post Reply