Princess of Wesnoth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Abraxas

Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Abraxas »

I played this scenario in .7.0, and it was hard. I played it again In .7.8 (I know .7.11 is current, but I don't see that this scenario has been rebalanced since .7.8 ) and it was far too easy. I don't know if the defensive ambushes at the castle have been altered, because she came out to play with my ArchMage and got splattered. [No replay available, but here is the situation she got into (conclusion of her turn):

Code: Select all

Grass | ArchMage | Grass |
   | EFight | Li'Sar | Cavalry |
Delfad | GrandK | Cavalry |
  | Paladin | Sword | Sword |
EV computation said that she should have killed the Archmage (barely), but even if she did, the chance of her not getting pasted by the Grand Knight, Delfador, and the Paladin were vanishingly small. Perhaps she should be passive?
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Dave »

Abraxas wrote:I played this scenario in .7.0, and it was hard. I played it again In .7.8 (I know .7.11 is current, but I don't see that this scenario has been rebalanced since .7.8 ) and it was far too easy
It's intentionally easy, because it's surrounded by difficult scenarios (Elensefar, Crossroads, Valley).
Abraxas wrote: I don't know if the defensive ambushes at the castle have been altered,
There are no more 'defensive ambushes' at the castle.

Abraxas wrote: because she came out to play with my ArchMage and got splattered. [No replay available, but here is the situation she got into (conclusion of her turn):

Code: Select all

Grass | ArchMage | Grass |
   | EFight | Li'Sar | Cavalry |
Delfad | GrandK | Cavalry |
  | Paladin | Sword | Sword |
EV computation said that she should have killed the Archmage (barely), but even if she did, the chance of her not getting pasted by the Grand Knight, Delfador, and the Paladin were vanishingly small. Perhaps she should be passive?
And if she didn't come out of her castle, what were the chances of her not getting pasted anyway by your Arch Mage, Grand Knight, Delfador, and Paladin?

When you're out-numbered 5-to-1 by higher level units, any move you make looks bad. If she could take out one of your most powerful units, she'd be doing very well, I think.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Abraxas

Re: Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Abraxas »

Dave wrote: And if she didn't come out of her castle, what were the chances of her not getting pasted anyway by your Arch Mage, Grand Knight, Delfador, and Paladin?

When you're out-numbered 5-to-1 by higher level units, any move you make looks bad. If she could take out one of your most powerful units, she'd be doing very well, I think.

David
I see what you are saying, and it is wholly my fault, for not being clear, and for not saving a replay. While the situation in that immediate area was very bad for her (5 units , 4 high level among them) the overall situation was a little bit better, I think. (16 units remaining on the field, to my 8)

The point that I was trying to make was that she shouldn't have leapfrogged her own units like she did. While getting 21 turns worth of bonus gold for the Valley of Death is a good thing, I personally think the scenario could do with a little bit more slog, and that perhaps leaders should wait until their command drops below a certain size before joining the fray personally.

Edit:Added a replay to show the behavior I am talking about. Maybe it isn't broken, since I had to take some silly risks to tempt her into moving more than a full move away from the castle.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

her having leapfrogged her own units, rather than rushing out of an empty castle, was in important point you missed. :)

that indeed is very odd.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The AI leader should be alot less likely to do this kind of thing in the later versions.

This scenario specifically wasn't changed at all since 0.7.8, but the AI in general was, to make it use its leader less aggressively.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
grochti

Post by grochti »

I played this scenario in .7.0, and it was hard. I played it again In .7.8 (I know .7.11 is current, but I don't see that this scenario has been rebalanced since .7.8 ) and it was far too easy.
:evil: I can´t win this level anylonger :evil:

I played version 0.7.10 before ,and "Princess of Wesnoth" was pretty easy with lots of gold due to an easy win in "Crossroads". I got stuck at level 11 or 12 and started an new try with 0.8.

Now AI is a bit more clever . I don´t now how to win crossroads without loosing all of my gold. 100 pieces of gold are just not enough to give me a fair chance of winning. I tried to assasinate the Princess about 3 times.
Then I tried to keep my army together an fight the other one head on ,just for getting smashed again and again no matter which units i recruit.

(I have 2 Paladin,2 Elven Sharpshooter,2 Elven Generals,2 White Mages, plus a bunch of level 1 units close to level up)
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

Now there are more forests and in better positions for stopping the enemy attack; if use all your high level elves, and perhaps your white mages on the rearguard to provide healing, you can easily win. Perhaps you should recruit some elven archers or warriors to allow your high level units a rest cure after heavy combats.
I had a pair of shades, 3-4 avengers (at least they leveled to that at the end, perhaps some of them where lvl 2) and 2 elvish "generals" (can't remember their name) as my best units and won quite easily (at least I found this far easier than the previous versions of this scenario).
You can level 3, 4 or more units in this scenario, and it's easy to lose only 1 high level unit, I think, if you use your elves in forests defending the gate and attacking any unit that crosses the river.
On medium difficulty
grochti

Post by grochti »

Thanks SteelIP. After loosing to often for my taste , I decited to cheat by doubling my gold to 200 which made it pretty easy. :roll: