The most fearsom player in the world

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TobiasParker

Re: The most fearsom player in the world

Post by TobiasParker »

Exactly.

You see i don't care either way, i will play regardless. However i am very thick skinned, don't expect many new players to feel the same. So lets see if in two years you guys will still get excited at a JW v Elvishking 1v1, because you 'elites' are going to be the only ones around. Oh and me, but i will be playing by myself mostly.
http://www.tm-productions.blogspot.com/ -halo3 Machinima project.
http://www.t-o-m-e.net - Best roguelike ever
Qes

Post by Qes »

@Tobias Parker

Your emotions are getting the better of you - you're starting to use sweeping generalizations to justify the frustration you're feeling. I empathize, I really do. I felt "harshly dealt with" early on as well. But that wasnt because of the Devs, it was because of me. In my zeal and enthusiasm for the game, I ran rampant with ideas, most of the time I knew were going to be shot down. I accepted this, but eventually it got on someone's nerves.

This is part and parcel (idiom - meaning part of, requisite of, for you non-native-English speakers) of interacting with human beings. Most of the internet is based on anonymity. And goes with "John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (tm):

Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Fuckwad"
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/
(Excuse the language, I was quoting verbatim.)

Now, these forums do NOT operate off the same assumptions. Yes, it's on the internet - but people are held responsible for their actions, this is to say - their words and the effort they put in via their contributions.

Therefore, there is such a thing as a reputation here, and an understanding of value according to the rules of this society, as any society would. The more you put into the project, the communally accepted norm, the more valuable your opinions and position becomes.

This is how normal societies function. Ostrazisation and Exultation exist both in frequency in any system in which people are engaged. Societies do not assume equal value among members - no matter what laws or written documents say otherwise. People naturally act and react according to social and societal norms and values. On this forum, value is ascribed by useful contributed effort given to the project as a whole. Everything else doesn't really matter. If you're helping make the game better, not merely whining that it's not better - you will be thanked instead of ignored and chastised.

If you want free respect (which is the shorthand version of what I said), with no effort, simply because you're a "human being" on these 'interwebs' - you're going to be disappointed.

This society's not for everyone. Many people dont like what I just described. That's fine. They can move along to 'better' things. This society doesnt need and influx of new citizens. But it will welcome any who wish to orient themselves to the values laid out.

You should also note, that these values are not invisible. They are laid out over and over and in thread after thread, many of which say "Read this first."

I hope this helps,
-Qes

EDIT: Grammar et al.
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
nataS

Post by nataS »

ChibiDwarf wrote:you won't be able to laugh at me when you have a single Elvish Archer kill 8 of your unit AND your commander(and it wasn't even in forest--it's just in my castle!)
TobiasParker wrote:i had a match the other night where my opponents wose hit 11 hits in a row on plains.
Oh please, that's nothing. I once killed three enemy leaders in a row with a bat. I should mention that I did call it Rambo.

Unfortunately the demo was corrupt so I removed it, but I do have a screenshot:
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

In contrast, both Aethaeryn and Qes won many respect points for continuing in such a rational manner.

@nataS: that's funny seeing a bat with such a ridiculous XP total XD. What were the circumstances tho? Were they all at like 1 hit? That's not so unimaginable then, just really funny ^^
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

maybe i am ignorant, but how didnt it level?
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

TobiasParker wrote:maybe i am ignorant, but how didnt it level?
I assume it harnessed the awesome power of photoshop?
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

Arg, then what was his point? I give up, i am just going to play 2v2 vs newbs on isars forever. This scene is too complicated for me.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

TobiasParker wrote:Arg, then what was his point? I give up, i am just going to play 2v2 vs newbs on isars forever. This scene is too complicated for me.

Ill let you in on a secret thats done me wonders. Keep yer trap shut till you know what your talking about.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

First of all: I am very surprised that this thread wasn't locked. Even for my taste (and i am pretty tolerant), it crossed the border regarding personal attacks and metathreading quite a while ago.
I said it before and i say it again: The magic word for this is spelled "PM". Consider that as a warning that going on like that will quickly lock this thread. ChibiDwarf told you to get out of his thread with this already.

Having said that, i will try to contribute to the topic.

Yes, luck is an element of wesnoth and one that you can plan with. However, you will never be able to control luck completely.
I found, that in my games there are certain points where possibilities open to turn the tide. For example it's your favourite time of day starting and there is this mage hiding behind a shielding spearman. Now if your adept get's both hits in, and your skelly makes 1/3, the spearman falls and two other skellies can cut the mage to pieces. Let's assume that in the current situation that would give you an advantage that your opponent will most likely not be able to make up for through the rest of the game.

But yes, the adept has to hit both times, a chance of 50%. Or otherwise the helping skelly will have to make 2/3 against 60% defense. Moreover, if you fail, you are very likely to lose the adept and maybe one of the skellies as well.

It is a good chance, but it has a risk. Sometimes the risk will be lower, sometimes higher. But there will hardly be the perfect plan that won't screw you if it fails (at least for this night, maybe for longer, maybe it even decides the game). Your job in risk management is to draw the line: What is the percentage that i feel comfortable enough with to go for it? 60% or 70%? 50% maybe if nothing all too bad can happen? 40% if my situation starts to get desperate and i have to count on luck?

That is the decision you have to make. Once you did: Don't whine if the RNG doesn't make your wishes happen. Be more conservative next time or simply wait for the next game that will work out your way.

And no, i am not always that relaxed about the RNG in my own games :wink: .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

@Sorrow
How about you stop being an internet tough guy. It isn't very impressive.

To mods/devs: I apologize for prolonging this whole thread. Perhaps one day you will realize the frustrations of the new players of this game who only wish to be a part of the community, yet are continuously shut down and belittled by these forums and in-game.

@Wesnothian
Lets play some games vs eachother.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

All I did was tell you what I did... I didn't even offer advice/opinions till i'd been playing a year at least, just listened/observed the good players.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Cut it guys. Three heads have fallen thus far for too heated discussions in the open. If you really feel like going on use PM, otherwise I'll fall on both of you like a ton of bricks.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
michchar

Post by michchar »

TobiasParker wrote: To mods/devs: I apologize for prolonging this whole thread. Perhaps one day you will realize the frustrations of the new players of this game who only wish to be a part of the community, yet are continuously shut down and belittled by these forums and in-game.
remember, everyone once was new here, you arent the only one. luck is a factor of wesnoth, no matter how good you are, you cant influence it. however, there is enough coins flipped in a game so it is balanced. instead of counting the times the RNG went against you, count how many times it went against others.

Btw i find that on MP the RNG doesnt kill me as badly as it does on a campaign

(both edits)-quote thing wasnt working
Volde

Post by Volde »

TobiasParker wrote:Arg, then what was his point? I give up, i am just going to play 2v2 vs newbs on isars forever. This scene is too complicated for me.
His point was that he also can come up with some results which are hardly possible, provide no "evidance" for that and claim that game is broken/should be fixed. Or atleast thats how i understood it.
Eolith
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Post by Eolith »

What's all this complaining about luck? Hasn't it saved your skin a couple of times? I had a time or two when an Elvish Fighter with 1 HP managed to advance to Hero when completely surrounded by enemy units and then died the next turn anyway. I also had one time playing as Drakes vs Undead (and Northerners, plus two others on Auction X) when my leader was nearly killed on the central castle by the Undead, but he managed to escape since the last Undead unit that could reach him attacked the Orcish Warlord who was fighting both of us instead. I managed to retreat then beat my enemies by sheer weight of numbers (something like 24 level 2s- I was playing AoH vs 1 human and 3 computer players.) I have also had times when luck turned against me and I lost a full health unit that could have made me almost invincible (so to speak) in one turn. Then again, don't you love it when your highly experienced unit with a 30% chance of hitting hits a level 3 just the right number of times to score a kill and advance while not being hit at all despite an 80% chance of dying? I have had that happen, although rarely. Unfortunately, I cannot post any screen shots/replays since BfW no longer works on my computer (files in two games, including BfW, were being corrupted. I will have to reinstall in linux instead of win 98.)

One more word, "luck" is a feature of life. Remember Murphy's law, "When you are prepared for something to happen, it will never happen, but when you are not prepared, it will." (indirect quote). It would seem that Murphy's law is in charge everywhere, just not to the same extent.

P.S. Thanks for ending the off topic discussion. I was getting tired of reading through that in order to find the end and make a reply without missing important information, although I do have some idea of how you feel (from my childhood, that is.)
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)