The best two traits, etc.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wesnothian

The best two traits, etc.

Post by Wesnothian »

First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs in this section.. I was thinking of the ''User'' section (where my two first posts are located) but then I realised this could actually fit in the ''Strategies & Tips'' section as there might come a debate on which traits are better, etc. I'm still unsure tho, let me know if I'm wrong!

On topic, which two traits do you like the most to put on one of your units?
Are there any nice combo's or situations where the two traits can be handy?
Which two traits would you prefer, and why?

When I'm playing as Rebels, I prefer a dextrous trait and a strong trait.
This will improve my Elves already-strong archery and for an extra boost, the melee to defend itself against any Orcish Grunt lurking around there.
If the experience bar setting is default (70) or lower, I sometimes like to see a unit with an intelligent trait
and a strong/loyal trait.. I don't know why the loyal trait but it seems to fit with intelligent for a nice army in my opinion, but those are just the looks that attract me, I can't help it mostly.

Here's another nice combo;
resilient & strong (This will boost your HP alot, and you will have a good chance of making you survive better).

Well that's all for me, do you got any you like?
Oh and by the way, correct me if I'm wrong with anything, I'm still a novice at the game, thankyou.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The best two traits, etc.

Post by Sangel »

It depends upon the unit, and the circumstances I'm anticipating using the unit under. For instance, I like my Elvish Shamans and White Mages to be quick and resilient - that extra movement really helps with getting them where they need to be to heal, and the extra HP is useful for surviving the rare front-row attacks you make to level them up. On the other hand, I quite like Dextrous Shamans as well, because they make superb sorceresses.

If I know I'm going to be fighting in hostile or rough terrain, quick becomes very important, as going from Move 5 to Move 6 is the difference between moving 1 or 2 squares versus 2 or 3 squares.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

The last two games I played, almost every one of my units (all but 3 between the 2 games) got the quick trait, and most of them got strong as their second trait. It made for an interesting game, as the extra point of mobility on almost all my units gave me an advantage in maneuvering, even if I couldn't take hits as well.

I can't really point to traits that I like to get, or dislike getting. In campaigns, I tend to dislike intelligent because most of my units that survive past level 1 hit level 3, regardless of how smart they are. However, in multiplayer, intelligent units, used intelligently, have a much better chance of leveling than their less intelligent friends, and even if they don't level, the threat of them reaching level 2 can be useful.

I tend to prefer useful traits, obviously, and what's useful depends on the unit. So I don't like getting strong mages, because I don't use their melee attack, and quick horsemen tend to suffer more from the lost HP than they gain from the extra move point. Resilient does more for units with a lower default HP than units with a high HP, but it's always useful. Strong is more useful on units with many weaker attacks than on units with fewer high-damage attacks (elf fighter vs grunt, for example - the fighter gets two points of damage more from the trait.)

Overall, I feel that quick has the most visible effect on the game, though (although not always positive for the player that gets it!)

As far as trait combos... getting resilient and quick usually comes out to a difference of 1 or 2 HP, plus an extra move point. Resilient sort of negates the penalty from quick. But generally, if I have enough units of the same type, I'll shuffle them around the field to get them to where their traits are most useful.
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

It really depends on the situation and unit.
As already mentioned in campaign i don't really like intelligent since they reach there maximum level anyway and them being not intelligent most of the times ends me up in just having wasted less xp. on the other hand in multiplayer where u rarely see a lvl2 and extremely rarely lvl3 intelligent is something great to have on a unit.

Except if its an ulfserker ... i prefer them strong and reslilent. a ulfserker that is quick and intelligent is considerable weaker and u nearly have no chance to get the advantage out of the intelligent trait with an ulf. and quick just sucks for its hp decrease and taking place of slot where something useful could be.

in general traits are well balanced in multiplayer. there are just some highly specialiced units on which some trait may be not so good ( like an intelligent ulf or a strong mage .. )

ist it still possible for adpets to get strong? that's also something i dislike as a trait ..
-- ^ --
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It is not possible for adepts to get strong, I just checked.
Trau

Post by Trau »

Ever since I promised myself to stop save-load cheating on campaigns, I have come to appreciate Intelligent much much more :augh: .

Anyways, I value Resilience and for most units and Strong or dextrous, depending on their main mode of attack. Quick has probably saved my butt a great many times, I just haven't acknowledged it...

Fearless is really the only trait I've never particularly liked. Trying to leverage it by attacking at the wrong time of day appears to be a really good way to get your units killed... not that I've toyed around with it a lot.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Honestly, I've given up on not save/loading. I'm not always playing in the most alert of mindsets, so I miss several obvious things to consider (usually fast enemy units off my screen able to come to the party), so I may redo a turn several times.

It doesn't really decrease my enjoyment all that much, cuz I'm not just playing the numbers, I'm really trying to find the best turn-by-turn strategy that I could be doing. I rarely like to lose leveled or even xp'd units, tho I have been known to accept the loss.
revolushn

Post by revolushn »

yeah, I find intelligent is the worst trait. resilient is great if im wanting a defender - someone who a mage can hide behind and 'steal' a couple of kills. But of course it depends on the unit. Quick is great if im in need of money - that extra movement can really, really help when trying to capture a couple of towns. I hate it so much when a units movement finishes one hex away.. Talk about grind my gears. I never save/ load. I go back to the start of the scenario alot. A LOT! but that's different i think. But yeah, intelligence sucks. Waste of a unit. My opinion only of course :)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I do that as well, when i feel I've made a strategical flaw rather than overlooked something obvious.
Trau

Post by Trau »

Hehe. I pump myself up physically and mentally before I play campaigns now.

And my proudest moment was not loading when my my shaman got killed by a lone grunt with one more experience point left before levelling. :wink: ... :annoyed: