Island of Anduin

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blades

494?

Post by Blades »

What about 494 exp(Elven Champion, I think I saw it on)
Can that level?

Cya-
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: 494?

Post by Dave »

Blades wrote:What about 494 exp(Elven Champion, I think I saw it on)
Can that level?
This just means it needs 500 experience, but is 'intelligent' which takes experience needs down by 6. So, no.

I will look at fixing it to show them as needing 500 xp too. I might make it show all non-advancing units as needing '-' experience.

David
jake

Post by jake »

I might make it show all non-advancing units as needing '-' experience.
That would make more sense than 500 exp.

I played a game over the network, and the undead walking corpses have around 30 exp but they can't level up... Is this a typo(they don't have 500 exp), or will they be able to advance in another release?
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

does the experience between levels affect the units attack and defense?
as in:
200/500xp attack/defend better than 50/500xp?
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

jake wrote: I played a game over the network, and the undead walking corpses have around 30 exp but they can't level up... Is this a typo(they don't have 500 exp), or will they be able to advance in another release?
Generally if a unit needs less than 500 experience, but doesn't level up when it advances, it means that another level is intended but not implemented yet.
Brassj wrote: does the experience between levels affect the units attack and defense?
as in:
200/500xp attack/defend better than 50/500xp?
It doesn't at the moment, however it has been considered, and may do so in the future.
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

if experience doesn't matter for the highest level unit, like Delfador or elvish outrider, why not just drop the experience. leave it blank. or a -/-
-BrassJ
miyo

Post by miyo »

I would prefer " gained_exp / - ", as in future there might be next level for that unit. Though most 3rd level units are not expected to have 4th level.

- Miyo
Blades

Post by Blades »

This thread has gone really off topic. I finished Gryphon Mountain with what I like to call "Minimally-invasive surgery" I had only two kills: The Mother Gryphon, and the General.(And maybe an ogre, I can't remember real well it was last night.)

I recalled my avenger, my sharpshooter, a champion, and Falenz.
I sent Delfador up the mountain on his lonely way and confronted the mother gryphon without even fighting one of the sleepers. Delfador killed her on the second turn of attacks, and by that point my hit squad of the avenger, the champion and Falenz, had made it to the north west forest area, they waited on the edge of the forest for all of the general's men to head south toward the bait of Konrad, and Li'Sar(I had them run onto the south west part to distract the comp) And a realized a basic flaw in the Comp's AI:

It doesn't defend the objectives you are after. It simply pursues the objectives that it needs to gain to make you lose. Even if you can complete your objective before the comp completes its.

I dunno what should be done to fix this. I'm gonna do the dwarf doors level,(I completed the mountain pass, very easy for the same reason)

Cya-
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Blades wrote:a basic flaw in the Comp's AI:

It doesn't defend the objectives you are after. It simply pursues the objectives that it needs to gain to make you lose. Even if you can complete your objective before the comp completes its.
That's right: at the moment the AI has no concept of defending, only attacking. The reason for this is no more dramatic than that I haven't had time to improve the AI to be as good as I want it yet. I do intend to teach it to defend, but haven't yet.

If anyone would like to volunteer to improve the AI, that'd be great :)

David
Blades

Post by Blades »

I just finished plunging into darkness.
WHAT A HORRIBLE POINT IN THE PLOT FOR IT TO STOP! ARRGH!

Does make your drool to know what happens next though :lol: !

I have to lay down my judgement here:

The Battle for Wesnoth...

:Cricket Chirp:

ROCKS! For a .5 version release the game is playable(If a little easy at points) enjoyable(a big plus) And I encountered no major or minor bugs to speak or think of(Yay macs!) I've also decided I'll stop lolling around the house in my free time and finally sit down and start learning C++(I know a fair amount of C, so that should help)

At the moment all I can offer is to design levels for you. I think I could be especially good at the cave/indoor/dungeon levels as I'm the dungeon master for D&D group and have done many such "levels" in my time. If you e-mail me @ bladesodoom@yahoo.com with instructions on what I need to download/do in order to write levels I'd happily make anything you want/need. Or just point me to the web site pertaining to such materials. I have access to a windows(It's old but it works) so don't think I can only help with mac. Unfortunately I can't help with linux, don't have one :( .

I'd suggest locking the thread at this point before it just spins out of control.
--Michael L. Bricker
a.k.a. Blades
E-m@il: bladesodoom@yahoo.com
AIM: BladesDoom [note the lack of an o. But don't bother as I'm never on.]
StarCraft Alias: ShasO_Blades [A great strategy game, by any standards, it's 5 years old and I still play it regularily]

P.S. I could also help well with desiging and coming up with ideas for things, just not implementing them(I'm pretty good at logic IMHO)

*Thus concludes a lengthy posT*
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Blades wrote:I just finished plunging into darkness.
WHAT A HORRIBLE POINT IN THE PLOT FOR IT TO STOP! ARRGH!
I don't know if anyone is going to believe me, but this isn't intentional :) it's just the scenario that we're up to now.
Blades wrote: I have to lay down my judgement here:

The Battle for Wesnoth...

:Cricket Chirp:

ROCKS!
Glad you like it :)

Blades wrote: For a .5 version release the game is playable(If a little easy at points)
I'm sorry, didn't you asy you were playing on 'easy' difficulty level? And you're telling us it's too easy at some points? :roll:
Blades wrote: At the moment all I can offer is to design levels for you.
That'd be cool -- we need more level designers.

Unfortunately at the moment it does take a little patience to learn how to do a level, as the level editor is rather limited.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to do some work to even get the map editor working well. You can try to get the source and compile it if you want....or you can just edit the maps directly using a text editor.

The best way to see how a scenario is done is by just looking at existing scenarios. All the scenario files are found in data/scenarios/ maps are found in data/maps/ if you need any help on how they work, post a question, and we'll help you out.

You might want to see this: http://www.ventu.info/wesnoth/?WesnothStoryline to get an idea of the overall storyline. Pick a place in the storyilne you want to do a scenario for, and post a scenario proposal here.
Blades wrote: I'd suggest locking the thread at this point before it just spins out of control.
Uhh...imho it's the threads that spin out of control that have the most interesting discussion :)
Blades wrote: P.S. I could also help well with desiging and coming up with ideas for things, just not implementing them(I'm pretty good at logic IMHO)
Sure, if you have any ideas, just post them in Developer's Discussion, and we'll discuss them :) All ideas are welcome, best ideas will make it into the game. Do note that we go by the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle, and in particular aren't interested in making the game interface more complex.

Cheers,

David
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I have just added a binary of the Mac Map Editor to savannah:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/wes ... _0.5.0.dmg

I haven't put this on the binaries page as it is not really the sort of thing for people to download for the hell of it. Took a little fiddling to get it to work (mainly adding a cocoa open file dialog as running from the command line led to strange behaviour and no response to the keyboard!).

I'm not sure if Blades is using the binaries or compiling the sources... but thought that if he is looking at the binaries he might want the editor ;-)

Also... if only looking at the binaries, the data files are in the bundle so opposite click on the application and choose "Show Package Contents" from the menu to see them.

I look forwards to the scenarios :-)
Blades

Hmmmm....

Post by Blades »

I decided to play through using one of the binaries(as they are more stable) before I passed judgement. Now that I have, I will finally get around to putting all the compiling stuff this new iMac I'm on needs. And start running the CVS version.

As long as I don't need to write the scenario files in binary I should pick it up fairly quickly, so I'll look at the stuff you've put up Sith, and get round to actually doing something.

I think the interface is both clean and efficent(both pluses). And I have long been a subscriber of the KISS method(best out there) I will not be able to start anything as I have to write an FCA(a.k.a. really bad a$$ paper that will trash your grade if done even slightly wrong) for friday in two nights(My days off sick had me so laid out I didn't do anything except eat, sleep, and pick up this game when I was cogent)

So I won't be back to post untill saturday, maybe.

Untill then, hang loose, and forget about me!(Well don't, but... Argh, I've no idea what I'm trying to say.)

Cya-
Blades

Post by Blades »

And yes I was playing it on easy. And yes, some points were a little too easy. I belive in a a fairly linear progression of the hardness of levels.
Lvl1=Easy as heck, if not tutoriel.
Lvl2=Almost Easy as heck,
Lvl3=Very easy
Lvl4=Medium-easy
Lvl5=Medium
Lvl6= Medium-hard
etc. etc.

You could even have finer gradients. The only problem is that with an open source project, there is little playtesting for linear progression of the game and making sure there isn't an out of place hard level etc.

I wasn't complaining, merely stating. Overall I think it's a great game with a lot of potential.

I'm off to download and learn the level editor thingy, and all the other stuff I shoudl have on here.

Cya-
Blades

Post by Blades »

I can't get the editor working, so I'm going to just go into the map and scenario files and just find out what ASCII symbols do what map wise.

I should be able to figure it out in a day or so(I gotta write a paper at the moment)
Anything I should know about the map files? Is it reversed?

Cya-