Help in Northern Rebirth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Juan-

Help in Northern Rebirth

Post by Juan- »

I need help, in the chapter the elvish princess i have problems because its hard, i attack and attack, but i only defeat one or two in one turn, and the pc defeat 4 or 5 of my units.
Can you help me? Can you give strategies?
And another problem?
When I level up a Pikeman(the only pikeman I have) the game say me the unit Halberd dont found it, or something like that.
I play this campaign in Battle For Wesnoth 1.2.6.
Please help me
Mnewton1 code acolite...
AI
Developer

Re: Help in Northern Rebirth

Post by AI »

I believe this problem has been fixed already, you're about 20 versions behind.
Current stable version is 1.4, though your savegames will not be compatible.

If you really want to finish with your current version, you can try to at least fix the pikeman leveling problem:
1. Make sure the "compressed saves" option is off (if it was, re-save your last savegame)
2. Open your savegame in notepad
3. Find/replace Halberd with Halberdier

Also, this should be in technical support.
Juan-

Post by Juan- »

I know it.
But anyone answer the last question I do in Technical Support.
Excuse me for the problem.
And thanks for that.
Can you help me with the other questions?Please
Mnewton1 code acolite...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, I haven't played northern rebirth, so I can't help you with that.

If you're really stuck, you could just skip to the next scenario (though you might miss something important and mess up the campaign) by typing :debug, then :n
You could also try "save cheating": saving before you do something important and reloading if you don't like the result.

Of course, that's cheating, but it's your game to play and the campaign might be unplayable in that version.
Felsenherz

Post by Felsenherz »

The Undead Brothers are really usefull to break into the castle. A Croud of Dwarvish Lords to set on the free positions. They have enough HP and with a White Mage behind them their should be no problem to slam the Orks away. Maybe its really difficult to win this scenario if you have not enough money to recall veterans. :shock:
smenze

Post by smenze »

actually that scenario isn't too bad. grab a few troops (at least one or two gryphons is recommended since they can fly to the villages for production and come in handy later) to sit up n of the entrance (hopefully pulling out 1-2 orcs at a time) while you go dispatch the blue leader (southwest) with the majority of your force. once that is done, swing back up to the north and continue pulling a few orcs at a time out. its a little pain staking and you could lose a troop or two, but you have to create a gap in the defense around the outside of the castle. once you get that gap you can do one of two things: level troops up by sitting near the entrance and killing the 2-5 orcs that attack each turn or go in for the fast kill. i set a round or two and upped a few troops (which also pulled one or two of the middle orcs to me). after that the first night fall, i ran my liches into the water and bombed the remaing orcs there and swept in with a gryphon to grab the princess.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

That scenario can be pretty tough. What you need is some high hp dwarves in the front of your assault, dwarven lords if you've developed them. 2 Griffons needed to obtain the villages scattered throughout. You'll also need to get rid of the orc leader OUTSIDE of the castle as quickly as possible. Hint: The orc leader goes to the village to the NE of his keep on the second turn, easily reachable by the drake and several others to dispose of quickly.

ALso, use berserkers, which are recruitable as of that scenario, to bust holes in the orcish crossbowmen. They've a 50% chance of dying or beating the crossbowmen. Just resign yourself to sacrificing them.

The rest, use as a bottleneck at the castle walls. have your troops rotate to the closest villages, and have your white mages always protected. Try to keep the highest level dwarves, hopefully you have lords, in the front lines. After a while, the orc's assault and defenses will peter itself out, making for an easy rescue of the princess.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows