How to fight/handle higher level Units?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lorbi

How to fight/handle higher level Units?

Post by Lorbi »

I run across some difficulties when facing higher level units in Campaigns and also in MP. Is there good way to fight Units of higher level except from outnumbering? I do can bring down a level3 when surrounding him with 6 level one guys and just ignoring that one or two of them dies in the process of killing that guy. But in MP i often cant afford to use half my army to face one guy that by some luck got a level. ( Cause the rest will be overrun )

Same applies for goblins and WC. Never got to use them in a good/reasonable way. Well i can kill that HI with goblins but it will kill 3 or 4 of them while trying what is not worth it.

Is there any special advice how to use units of lower lvl when facing units of higher level ( except for outnumbering the enemy? )
-- ^ --
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Depends on the high level unit. Even if it is generally stronger than low-level units, it is bound to still have some weaknesses: bad resistances against some attacks, no ranged attack, ... Abusing such weaknesses is even more important against high level units.

Another strategy is to ZoC the unit somewhere it can't heal with units that a) can't be killed by a single attack and b) are able to do non-negligible retaliation damage. That way you can wear the unit down slowly without losing a single of your weak units. Move in and attack from all available sides once the unit has few enough HP to kill it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Eliminate support.
Pin them (make it so that they can't run)
Poision them if you can
Hit them with whatever range they are weakest at.
Try to olny put units near them that they can't kill in one turn.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Units with slowing attack are also useful but use them very carefully as they usually have low hp.
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

Leadership is a huge boost, but that requires higher level units of your own. Making use of day and night is also vital (and if you have a Mage of Light, then you can do even better).
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Poison is generally an excellent way to bring them down, without swarming them, especially if you can ZoC them.

Other than that, just swarm them, unless they have an obviously exploitable weakness.
Me1234

Post by Me1234 »

if the enemy unit is a dwarf, then there is going to be a heck of a fight because dwarves have god resistance to almost anykind of attack. i suggest that you poinsen the unit and use mages against it until it dies. if it is undead just burn it down with mages or orc archers witht eh firs arrow. if it is loyalist horsman, then use spearman or archers. it it is anything else other mage loytalist, use archers or spear/axe/clubman if it is mage, cut them down with swords ond such. if it is elves, goodl uck.
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Slow is a good power. Then, force them to fight continuously with that unit. It does not mean trapping them, but rather pinning them. Occupy the other units. Block off villages. Try to level up some unit somewhere else.

Specific races have specific powers (some have poison; others have slow; still others have powerful, high resistance units).
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Kamamura

Post by Kamamura »

Assassinate them with an assassin :P
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Play the first level of Northern Rebirth. Its much easier in the development version, but it's still good training on how to handle being 'outleveled'.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I agree with the last 3 posts. Slow and poison are the most effective ways to deal with higher level units.

Poison, then ZoC with worthless units. Slow if possible. If you do slow the guy, then you can probably risk attacking with units you want to keep, although it can be risky.

In MP, you really have to make sure the enemy does not get to level up. Focus on keeping your troops alive, and killing any unit of theirs that is getting any significant amount of XP.
Grand Marshal Aditya

I thinks Orcs have the tools to take out high level units. They are the best at the trade. First, they can poison, and slow (but of course, you have level up a wolf). Furthermore, they can overwhelm with a large number of cheaper units.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Trau

Post by Trau »

And of course, you should always seek to bring in high levelled units of your own. Try to get as many of your units to level up as possible and keep him from levelling up as often as possible.
Grand Marshal Aditya

Yeah...the disadvantage of a high level unit is that it can be free experience if trapped, and if it is weak in either melee or range. This allows you to exploit that particular weakness.
DDR

Post by DDR »

A good way to solve this problem is by practice. Play the 'devling' race, from EoM, for a while, and you will get better. :D