Questions about walking corpse forms

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TruePurple

Questions about walking corpse forms

Post by TruePurple »

I wasn't sure where to put this. But I have some questions about the different walking corpse form and their soul less upgrades.

If a form doesn't look graphically different, could it still have different stats? Like could a walking corpse of human have +20 arcane resistance to regular form WC? If it were a elf, would it have -10 arcane resistance? If it were a assassin could it have extra physical weaknesses? Etc. In short, is it -40 arcane resistance to that units regular resistance or are the walking corpse forms more generalized?

Would someone please list the stats of various walking corpse forms? Especially resistances which are invisible and so difficult to determine.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Code: Select all

[unit]
    {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie smallfoot 4 18}
    [movement_costs]
        deep_water=4
    [/movement_costs]
    [variation]
        variation_name=bat
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-drake fly 5 15}
        [movement_costs]
            cave=1
            fungus=1
        [/movement_costs]
        [defense]
            cave=50
            fungus=50
        [/defense]
        [resistance]
            cold=70
        [/resistance]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=drake
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-drake drakefoot 4 23}
        [movement_costs]
            deep_water=4
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=dwarf
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-dwarf dwarvishfoot 3 21}
        [movement_costs]
            deep_water=3
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=gryphon
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-drake fly 5 21}
        [defense]
            mountains=40
        [/defense]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=mounted
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-mounted mounted 5 21}
        [movement_costs]
            deep_water=4
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=saurian
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-saurian lizard 4 16}
        [movement_costs]
            deep_water=4
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=swimmer
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-swimmer swimmer 4 18}
        [movement_costs]
            forest=4
            hills=4
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=troll
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-troll largefoot 4 21}
        [movement_costs]
            deep_water=4
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
    [variation]
        variation_name=wose
        {UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-wose treefolk 3 26}
        [movement_costs]
            deep_water=3
        [/movement_costs]
    [/variation]
[/unit]
Those are all the differences; for example, a WC'ed drake has 4 move, 23 hp, and the drakefoot movetype. However, all WC's have exactly -%40 arcane resist.

Edit: and no, all units of a given race, regardless of their stats in life, become exactly the same WC.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

I thought mounted units became special mounted WC's.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Samantha wrote:I thought mounted units became special mounted WC's.
above post wrote: [variation]
variation_name=mounted
{UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE zombie-mounted mounted 5 21}
[movement_costs]
deep_water=4
[/movement_costs]
[/variation]
umm, I think you missed this ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

So tree walking corpses don't have any fire weakness? Mounted don't have any pierce weakness? Its just HP and movement?

Except I know they get different defenses. And I only see a few mentions of defenses in that. So clearly not all the details of it are in what you posted for some reason. Like swimmer walking corpses have 60 defense in water and I think 40 or so in castles.(it tells you this via movement) But I see no mention of that under water walking dead listing.

Also i see mention of "[resistance] cold=70" for drake undead?(the only resistance reference I could find) Does that mean the undead version of drakes have a ton of resistance to cold even though their living counterparts are very weak to it?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

TruePurple wrote:Also i see mention of "[resistance] cold=70" for drake undead?(the only resistance reference I could find) Does that mean the undead version of drakes have a ton of resistance to cold even though their living counterparts are very weak to it?
No, that's the bat walking corpse. It just uses the same image as the drake.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
TL

Post by TL »

TruePurple wrote:So tree walking corpses don't have any fire weakness? Mounted don't have any pierce weakness? Its just HP and movement?
Movetype (the second parameter passed along to the UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE macro) actually covers resistances, terrain costs, and terrain defenses. "dwarvishfoot", for example, gives the dwarven walking corpse variation the same defenses, movement costs, and terrain defenses as most dwarves. The individual [movement_costs], [defense], and [resistance] tags are used to create exceptions for specific units. Here, for example, the dwarf variation uses the dwarvishfoot movetype and then overrides the cost of moving through deep water. Also, it's not listed in the excerpt that megane posted, but the definition of the UNIT_BODY_WALKING_CORPSE itself includes a [resistance] tag overriding all walking corpse variations' arcane resistance to flat -40%. So, dwarf walking corpses are identical in movement, terrain defense, and resistance to dwarf fighters/thunderers, except the corpses can walk underwater and have -40% arcane resistance rather than +10% (these two exceptions being essentially universal among the corpse variations).

(As noted, the [resistance] tag with cold=70 belongs to the bat corpse, not the regular drake; since there are only 2 bat units there's not much point to defining a separate bat movetype, so bats use a generic "fly" movetype with a few modifications. cold=70 is just the bats' standard cold resistance, living or dead; the internal designation of cold=70 is equivalent to the helpfile listing of 30% cold resistance, as "takes 70% damage" and "takes 30% less damage than normal" are equivalent statements.)

Incidentally, resistances are not completely invisible: on the unit status bar you can mouseover the name of one of the damage types on the selected unit, and it will give you a tooltip listing the damage modifiers that damage type gets vs. every visible enemy. Unfortunately this tooltip does not work effectively if there exist multiple enemies visible with the same unit type but different resistances (due to special modifications, or variations such as the different WCs), so this isn't much help for examining walking corpse variants unless all the walking corpses you can see are the same type.