Hi I need help with "story of the wose."

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Hidden Hippogriff

Hi I need help with "story of the wose."

Post by The Hidden Hippogriff »

HI I'm new and I'm having trouble. I was playing your game "Battle for Wesnoth" in a add-on campaign called "story of the wose," when I ran into a Problem there was narrowing in the path in the level "the tunnel" where it is only one space wide. Even if I go as fast as I can by the time I get to the hole it is clogged up with trolls. My only hope seems to be to use my strongest units "wose" and cycle them. I have taken all of them to the last upgrade. and even if I could get past I am sure I would die. Am I supposed to sit there and wait for an event or help of some kind? I wated and cycled for almost 60 turns. I am using the windows (version 1.2.8) on My eBook g4 (I have a program called parallels that allows me to run windows XP on my mac.) should I load the mac version? I don't want to have to go all the way back.
I have included an image of my problem
Please don't be rude I am not very good at English.
Attachments
Where I'm stuck.jpg
Where I'm stuck.jpg
Wesnothhelpimstuck2.jpg (181.1 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
The Hidden Hippogriff

There are a few hotels to make money at. but no summoning places.
do you think the trolls have some hotels because I can kill about 1 a turn. and they keep on coming.
sorry about the large image.
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

I haven't played that campaign, so I may be wrong about this, but I'd suggest sticking in there.

Check the unit stats, but unless there have been any changes made, your Ancient Woses have 40% resistance against impact damage and Trolls have no impact resistance. Using this and the regeneration, you can rotate your Woses in an out of the front line so that the healthiest ones at the front are hitting and the wounded ones at the rear are healing.

It might also be worth conceding the hex that the lead Ancient Wose is on. This would allow two of your units to attack one of theirs and thereby tilt the battle in your favour. Also, consider using your Magi, depending on their attack and how the Trolls resist against it.

The best advice is just to play through and see what happens, then play it again armed with what you learned in the first run through (unless you've given yourself some form of restricted saving rules).
The Hidden Hippogriff

Dodgy Tactician wrote: Check the unit stats, but unless there have been any changes made, your Ancient Woses have 40% resistance against impact damage and Trolls have no impact resistance. Using this and the regeneration, you can rotate your Woses in an out of the front line so that the healthiest ones at the front are hitting and the wounded ones at the rear are healing.
I can't check the stats they have the other people as black with a question mark.
that was what I meant as "cycling"

It might also be worth conceding the hex that the lead Ancient Wose is on. This would allow two of your units to attack one of theirs and thereby tilt the battle in your favour. Also, consider using your Magi, depending on their attack and how the Trolls resist against it.
Oh thats a good idea then I can level up all my guys!

The best advice is just to play through and see what happens, then play it again armed with what you learned in the first run through (unless you've given yourself some form of restricted saving rules).
nah I dont enjoy doing it beacuase you get sick of the game so much faster but I will anytime.
thanks!
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

I can't check the stats they have the other people as black with a question mark.
Right click on a unit and select "Description" (or mouse over it and press d). It should tell you the chance to hit on all terrain types and resistances/vulnerabilities to each damage type something like this. If you match your attacking damage type to the enemy's vulnerability (eg. Arcane against Trolls unless they are modified in that particular campaign), then you do more damage per hit.

Remember not to throw your Magi away though. They can still be killed quite easily by something as dangerous as a Troll.
The Hidden Hippogriff

Right click on a unit and select "Description" (or mouse over it and press d). It should tell you the chance to hit on all terrain types and resistances/vulnerabilities to each damage type something like this. If you match your attacking damage type to the enemy's vulnerability (eg. Arcane against Trolls unless they are modified in that particular campaign), then you do more damage per hit.

Remember not to throw your Magi away though. They can still be killed quite easily by something as dangerous as a Troll.
Oh I thought you meant the scenario stats where it tell you how much everybody has left.
-edit
i'm at turn 172 screw it i'm going to another campaign.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Back up, take the trolls where it is three hexes wide. After you kill off the L2 trolls you should be able to force your way through the chokepoint.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE