Eastern Flank

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mindsight

Eastern Flank

Post by mindsight »

Hi. I'm fairly new to BFW. I am really enjoying the Northern Rebirth campaign, however...

Eastern Flank has me baffled. I start with 100 gold for Tallin, and about 350 for Krash. I have tried three methods so far.

*One is to huddle in the northern mountains and try to stretch west towards the enemy keeps. I get stopped by a huge wave of hundreds of orcs and trolls. They can't really kill me, but I can't make any progress. After around turn 30, I tanked it to try a new tactic.

*I figured the water would make a terrible defensive stance for the enemy, so I got everyone over to the south eastern mountain island and tried to force the enemy to fight me from the water. I hoped that I would be able to kill far more than they would spawn, but that was not the case. It seemed that if I killed 8 in one turn, eight or nine would be respawned.

*I read on the forum that someone was able to run a secret ops type mission where the drakes were mostly a distraction while Tallin, his instant recalls, and five more elites were rushed towards the keep as quickly as possible. I tried this, taking the drakes south and around while Tallin pushed directly west. The drakes managed to distract about half of the enemy army for about 7-8 turns before they started piling up dead. Meanwhile, Tallin and his crew managed to get just past that southern pointing tip of the north mountain. At that point, all hell broke loose and I could not hold any effective front.

Each strategy has me SWAMPED with orcs and trolls. By the time I get close enough to have any hope, I am outnumbered at least ten to one and it's like running into a wall.

Do these guys ever stop recruiting? Is there a better strategy? I looked on the wiki and what it suggests is hard to visualize.

I'd really like to move forward in the campaign as it was fun and challenging at the same time. I also enjoy the storyline, uprising and all that. Seems a waste of much time at this point. I must have spent close to 12 hours between the three attempts already.

P.S. I am playing on easy :lol: and the only troops I find with the HP high enough to withstand this onslaught are five dwarven lords. They are great in the mountains so I try to use them there but once I have to step off the mountains I am constantly getting annihilated. For the Drakes, I recruit a fair mix of burners and fighters. I find the gladiators and gliders fairly useless (for this scenario, anyway)

HELP!
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Double posting will get you nowhere. Moved to Strategy & Tips.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
mindsight

Post by mindsight »

Yeah, sorry. I posted somewhere else and then thought this was the best place to post my question.

So where should I have posted and does this mean I get no help?
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I moved it to the Strategies & Tips sub-forum where it belongs.
Note that even without moderator privileges you can delete your posts as long as nobody has answered them yet.

I am sure, however, that when someone reads your post, has a suggestion as well as some time to write it down you will get help - just be a little patient.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
mindsight

completed!

Post by mindsight »

I went back and tried the suicide rush again. This time I had Tallin manage to get right next to a keep hex with his killer squad following up behind. The wraith and the sorceress were left behind to grab villages to build up my bank. The Drakes provided support from the mountain to the north, attacking during day and retreating at night. I lucked out as an orc guarding the keep hex left it empty to attack the Drakes. Tallin stepped onto the hex and started recruiting suicide death squads around the enemy leaders. Footpads worked wonders here, as weak as they are. Between mass footpad recruits whittling away and a few fugitives and dwarvish lords, I slowly turned the tides. Casualties were high, but I maintained my main force minus some prized dwarvish lords and fugitives.

After this scenario, the next two were cake. Showdown looked like a similarly difficult challenge but with 2000 plus gold for each recruiting officer, I just slowly broke through the defenses and by turn ten the orcs were in shambles. By the way, Berserkers plus leadership support are just NASTY!
stargazer

Re: Eastern Flank

Post by stargazer »

Currently I play the hardest level of the NR and gradually lose any hope with this scenario. The enemies recruit about 100 level-1 and about 80 level-2 units only with starting gold while I have about 300 gold for Tallin and 200 for drakes, 3 level-3 drakes and 12 level-3 dwarves to recruit above advanced loyal and human units, but it did't help.

Did anyone succeed to pass the hardest level of this scenario and can tell about his resources and strategy?
HomerJ

Re: Eastern Flank

Post by HomerJ »

stargazer wrote: Did anyone succeed to pass the hardest level of this scenario and can tell about his resources and strategy?
Yes. As this is my favorite campaign I have completed it several times on hard, also in some challenges.
The most often applied strategy would be to form a defensive line in the mountains, take over the island asap and just cut everything down until you can advance to a recruiting hex with Krash and Tallin as you have already experienced.
In the thread I linked are replays, but all of them are 1.6, so if you still have that version around, feel free to take a peek.

Edit: Oh by the way, I also managed this scenario (as part of a challenge) without recalls, so you probably don't need an elaborated recall list, however, you would want more gold.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!