First post, Newbishness, and drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Also, as an rebel player, you have access to the Merman Hunter, which is one of my favorite drake killers in the game.

MHunters also help create ZoC angles that would otherwise be awkward for the rebels.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Very true - especially on the multiplayer map Weldyn Channel (also known as Blitz).
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Carzal

Post by Carzal »

i'm playing another game against the drakes. by carefully managing the time when I attack I'm having some moderate success, although I feel that I'm also just being lucky. I've also been making my army more about fighters and less about shamans.
Thank you for your advice. I'll tell you once I've whupped my friend's drake butt.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Carzal

Post by Carzal »

I whupped his butt. Majorly. With multiple knives. I would up losing the sorceress that I leveled, but I made that up with a champion an avenger and a ranger. Then I moved into finish him off, pincer style.
We were playing Blitz, and I am happy that I finally beat him! Now it`s 2:1 for him, and I gotta even the score.
Thanks,
Carzal
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

Scouts are good for distracting Drake forces from the rest of your army.

Put one in vision range of a drake,make them chase you and then loop back to your army and kill the drake.Repeat when necessary.
Only works on stupid players.
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
Carzal

Drakes

Post by Carzal »

Our game was a slow one. The blitz map is split in two by the water in the center. With both had the majority of our forces on the right, (I was on the top) both entrenched in book positions. On that side we only fought once or twice, and both times I came out slightly better, as I had good positioning in forests and mountains, or I chose the time of day.
The real battle happened on the other side, where we had only a few units. I was able to field more units than him on both sides, and we would often have skirmishes of one person invading the other persons territory when it was to their advantage. I won because I wound up with a champion, a lvl 2 merman, a hero and two rangers, while he wound up with one drake warrior. This was after our 4th or 5th skirmish, and then I just pincered him, gathering strength as I went on.

Ah well. Now I'm turning onto the campaigns once more. I was half-way through Haldric's quest to create wesnoth when I got totaly stuck. It's the one where you have to beat two sets of orcs and one set of undead in almost totaly darkness. My original plan was to rush the undead, and it didn't work out so well. I'm now trying "Under the Burning Suns" on normal (easy). It's very different, and I really like it.
IB

Post by IB »

What %age experience are you playing on?
Carzal

Post by Carzal »

40% experience and default age (we start our heros at lvl 2, and can only recruit lvl 1s)
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Most advice you'll get here will apply to the standard settings of 70% XP, Default Era, 2 GPV (basically just 'apply map settings'), and while it can be useful for other things, it changes a few tactics significantly.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down