in charge the south player has advantage?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

waterd103

in charge the south player has advantage?

Post by waterd103 »

I'be been playing charge and i have the feeling that the south player has advantage, all it's village are in leader range, except the one in the lower left corner wich is very far from everthing.
I feel it's very easy to defend. I don't get how kalagan could enter a loyalist or rebel defense in this map, when rebels are in the south.
I'm not a great player, so i want opinions.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

North player has the advantage.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

1. Make a list of the advantages that player one might have.

2. Play a good offensive player

3. Don't play 1.2.8, play 1.3.12.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
IB

Post by IB »

Doc Paterson wrote:3. Don't play 1.2.8, play 1.3.12.
Come on Yogi.
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

really ? why should i play 1.3.12? isn't that in beta stage?

PD: i can't even download it (y only have windows)
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

waterd103 wrote:really ? why should i play 1.3.12? isn't that in beta stage?

PD: i can't even download it (y only have windows)
Its the development version. Its changed about 100x so balance discussion about 1.2.8 is completely useless, both the maps and factions have been tweaked (the former significantly).
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

As i understand it, the 1.3.x series is not beta - the game is in a much more advanced condition than that, in that it is basically feature-complete, and no major changes are planned to the engine. It's a development version - the one in which changes can be made to artwork, balance, campaigns etc etc etc and playtested to check for bugs and to confirm that the balancing is successful before they can be released as stable. These changes do not happen as they are made in the stable version - the only changes there are bug fixes and security fixes.

The next stable release (1.4.0) will happen fairly soon (the estimate i heard will be early in the new year sometime, though IIRWIIR applies, of course). This will also be the date of the release of the next dev version, as i understand it.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

I could be mistaken (because I haven't checked every tile), but I think that the version of Weldyn Channel in 1.3.12 has rotational symmetry. Not that I'm a particularly good player, but that should give the north player a slight initiative advantage although the day-night cycle, player skill, village-grabbing speed and intelligence should play a bigger factor.

Maybe an option to randomly select the move order (like randomly selecting the start time) would even it out, since then no-one would know in advance who has the initiative advantage, so no-one can deliberately pick a highly mobile faction knowing that they are moving first.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

A: I don't think that people pick factions based on whether they're going first or not.

B: Especially in Weldyn channel, there are no 'stealable' villages (which have by far the biggest impact). If a player 1 unit does grab a village on player 2's side in a 'steal' (not a major attack), it'll most certainly die to a decently-played player 2 setup.

As for advantageous terrain, that is part of going first =). I don't think FPA is overstated at all on Weldyn Channel, IMO.
Croc Paterson

Post by Croc Paterson »

Dodgy Tactician wrote:I could be mistaken (because I haven't checked every tile), but I think that the version of Weldyn Channel in 1.3.12 has rotational symmetry.
It doesn't, but the more "significant" areas do. If you take a look at the terrain clusters on the very top and bottom of the map, as well as in the northeast and southwest areas, you'll see what I mean.

As for the other points, Jozrael is right on.
"Your face is overpowered." - Neoriceisgood
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

*Checks*

Ah, I see what you mean.