Which units you like to build in campaings?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Beholder

Which units you like to build in campaings?

Post by Beholder »

Footpads + Horsemen + Mages here.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Depends entirely on the campaign...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

High HP units are extremely useful(Grand Knights, Iron maulers for loyalists for example). In campaigns you need heavy hitters, but most importantly line holders and high HP units are just that. You also will need healers, of course, but much depends on the campaign. I prefer high HP units instead of better defence but lower HP, because at some point in a long campaign your luck is bound to run out and unless you have high HP units your best units will not only die, but also fail to hold the line
Last edited by santi on October 29th, 2007, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Which Campains?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dwarves, backed up with elven ranged, healing, and leadership support, are a wicked combo. Might be one of the best ones in the game. It's one of the fanplay elements in HttT; allowing the player access to that.
elvish master

Post by elvish master »

Mostly elves but sometimes dwarfes
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

It's fun to play through some campaigns, like HttT, recruiting only a certain type of unit. I.E. Mages+Shamans only on HttT, or Horsemen and Elvish Scouts only on HttT. Mages/Shamans is especially fun, but makes Test of the Clans so damn hard.
If you're really a masochist, play EI without ever recruiting any HI or Mages.
Uprising
Location: The Northweastern Region, The Drums, A Library, or in Class

Post by Uprising »

I really enjoy the shammans, what with their healing ability which increases with leveling up. Also, I enjoy the bowmen, what with their distance effectiveness.
"History repeats itself do to what people do and do not learn."
--Mr. Anderson (A World History teacher)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Do you do these 'mage/shamans' on hard?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jozrael wrote:Do you do these 'mage/shamans' on hard?
Yes, some people have played through HttT on hard, recruiting only shamans (recalling everything). Including me. :D
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Oh snap.
Last edited by Jozrael on December 13th, 2007, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

I prefer Lancers and Silver Magi. Extremely deadly combo.
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

csarmi wrote:I prefer Lancers and Silver Magi. Extremely deadly combo.
...on levels where assassination is viable.

But Silver Magi have lost a bit in the development version since many units have that formerly dealt cold damage now deal arcane damage (i.e. 50% resistance vs. 20% resistance) :-(

Otherwise I agree that Dwarves backed by Healing, Leadership and good ranged units is a killer. You get this combination in Northern Rebirth too.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I like any unit that helps me win. So pretty much everything--I've beat HttT on hard with only using shamans, archers, scouts, fighters...(not at the same time, but of course I beat it for real once)

I try and pick a balance of ranged and healing though <_< I prefer that over people with great melee attacks. AI is too easy to beat, so I can get away with it...

I don't have time to play much anymore though ToT
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Actually, I'm using the lancer + silver mage combo on TRoW now, for mobile warfare. I just overtake the map with my scouts (I use them for their speed, using knights too) then I deal with the separate armies at once (since my troops can cross like half (or for silvers ALL, if towns are taken) the map in like 2 turns. All I need is some backup like 2 healers (mage of light for example), 2 lineholders on each sides and the leaders. Map done in 10 turns :P

And I dont assasinate unless you call "massacring 1/4 of enemy army once, then moving to next front" that.