Stuck on Descent into Darkness

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sotergre

Stuck on Descent into Darkness

Post by sotergre »

I may be missing something right in front of my eyes, but I cant for the life of me figure out how i become a lich. I've hit the altar with every 3 hit combination i can think of between the three attacks and with just the shadow blast and I've gone through 300 turns and nothing is happening.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Your character has to die so you have to set it to the attack where your character takes retaliation.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
sotergre

Post by sotergre »

i would, but the problem is, the 'Makeshift Altar' only has one attack, a reflect attack that does 1 damage for 0 attacks, there's no attack i can perform for a retaliation. I guess it must be a bug.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Hit it in melee, it will hit you back with the same damage and kill you. Or at least, it should.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dougster

Post by Dougster »

Its not working for me either. I smacked it with my sword until I destroyed it, but it never did any damage to me. I can't get past this one, unless there is a way to edit the campaign file or something. I'm playing version 1.3.8 in windows fwiw.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm not sure this is relavent but what lvl is your character? You may need to be lvl 3.

EDIT: Note I have nothing to back this up it's just a theory.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dougster

Post by Dougster »

Mine is only level 2.
sotergre

Post by sotergre »

mine's level 2 as well, this might be the problem, i'll go back and level it up and let you know
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

sotergre wrote:mine's level 2 as well, this might be the problem, i'll go back and level it up and let you know
Yes, you need to be level 3.
Then you have to hit the altar with your sword.
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

IMHO that whole hiting the altar thing was pretty dumb, I would rather have seen it as a moveto or just an intro sequence rather than the way it's done now.

*shrug*
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Master Stilgar wrote:IMHO that whole hiting the altar thing was pretty dumb, I would rather have seen it as a moveto or just an intro sequence rather than the way it's done now.

*shrug*
I agree.

I for one can't imagine how Malin would find a piece of rock from nowhere that had those magical properties. It is a really ridiculous coincidence.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

do you still to have lvl3?

because I am at that scenario now and of course the altar did not hit back. But to get at lvl3 I would have to play.. hm, the complete campaign?

Maybe a big fat warning, that you need to lvl your 'hero' would be in order? Or just remove the lvl3 dep?
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Master Stilgar wrote:IMHO that whole hiting the altar thing was pretty dumb, I would rather have seen it as a moveto or just an intro sequence rather than the way it's done now.

*shrug*
I thnik its quite nice...its kind of a decison you take to die....
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Disclaimer: I have never played this campaign.

However, perhaps a good work around would be to have the alter become agro and if the hero isn't dead to strike with a super-powerful magical attack with 100CTH the next round. You could explain it away as "hitting the alter unlocked buried magic."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Although gameplay wize it makes not allot of sense, it makes sense that you would need to be a powerfull dark magician to turn yourself into a lich.