Guidance for Knalgans and Drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Calden

Guidance for Knalgans and Drakes

Post by Calden »

Hello folks, I just discovered Wesnoth whilst on holiday in Canada. I was searching for a way to pass the time when not off doing holiday things, and found it lurking on the internet.

I was very impressed with how fun such a simple concept can be, and have since downloaded it at home, and begun playing through some of the campaigns.

Currently I'm trying to experiment with the Knalgans and the Drakes, as I've found the Loyalists and the Rebels a little too obvious in their applications to me. They seem to be the two races most suited to new-comers to the game, with their very wide unit selections, and wide arsenals.

Currently finding the Drakes and Knalgans alot of fun, but some tips and tricks would be welcome. I find that I can get too easily drawn into defence with the Knalgans, and not really go anywhere. Is there something I should be doing to remove this problem?

As for the Drakes, I'm getting the hang of their hit-and-run style, whilst using Clashers and the Skirmishers to form a front-line whilst the rest of the army retreats at night. The only thing I'm finding is that often the likes of Gliders, Burners and Fighters will sit on the side-lines, often contributing very little to the actual game, as the Clashers and Skirmishers really do seem to be the most efficient units with the odd Augur to support. Whats the best way to use the other Drake units?

I plan on moving on to get a feel for the Undead and the Northerners next, as so far I've not really got a feel for them, and their style has yet to appeal to me.

I plan on trying out multi-player online at some point, but what is the best version of the game to use? I'm currently using 1.3.4 I think, as I found it on a freeware games website, but I notice that 1.2.? and 1.2.8 seem to be the ones available on the Wesnoth site. Which would be the best to use?
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

Have you seen this guide called 'How to play..'?
It's just above your thread :)
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11161
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Either of the current versions is good for MP play, 1.2 (currently at 1.2.7)has more people, but 1.3 (currently at 1.3.8) is the way things are going to be, so if you plan on staying around for very long you might consider getting used to the future, especially as you've already had some 1.3 experience, and there are a few things different with 1.2, especially with Arcane v. Holy... Knalgans are great fun with their thief+gryphon combo... never underestimate outlaws, footpads are amazing. Hit with your high-damage, low-strike units first, so that if you miss with them you don't wind up spending lots of time wounding a unit that will retreat and heal after having dealt lots of retaliation damage.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down