That smug orc wins every time

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rothrorn

That smug orc wins every time

Post by Rothrorn »

Another plea for help - I'm getting totally overwhelmed in the smug orc campaign. I have about 4 troll warriors but they just get bogged down and surrounded by assasins and the poison prevents the trolls regeneration. Again, I think the new AI makes this really tough.

Help!
Rothrorn the Wise
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Hmmm.. no response.

Either;
a) no-one else has beat this scenario either, which means its too hard (unlikely)

b) the answer to my problem has been posted before (quite likely - can someone point me in the right direction please)

c) no-one knows what the hell I'm on about (most likely :? )
Rothrorn the Wise
Circon

Post by Circon »

I suppose it's the famous "Shan Taum the Smug" scenario in the Orcish campaign... sorry, never got that far.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Hmmmm. Well, I have beaten it on Easy, and my tactic was fairly simple: Trolls. A bunch of Troll Warriors, several Trolls and plenty of Troll Whelps. I entered the scenario with over 200 gold, so this was no problem for me.

Basically, I lined my forces up on one side of the river and hammered the enemy as they tried to cross. Behind my trolls I also kept some more mobile units - Goblin Knights and such - to reinforce where needed.

Your mileage may vary.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

I tried the troll approach but he just threw endless numbers of assassins at me and although the poison only lasts one turn it prevents their regeneration so eventually my troll warriors get overcome. Maybe its the new improved AI that has made this harder than it was :?:
Rothrorn the Wise
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

I played and won it on easy with not too much trouble.

Some 2nd lvl trolls and wolfriders, two 2nd lvl orcish archers (how are they called?), some welps. And I used the shamans. You only have to hold the river, and that is not too much of a problem, because orcs&trolls have good defense in the hills and mountains and the AI has to attack out of the water.
telly

Post by telly »

I did it second try on medium just by recalling/recruiting as many trolls as possible and 2 orc warlords and rushing Smaug. Just ignored casulties (who cares if trolls die anyway?) and mashed my way through to smaug and then killed him with the warlords. Isn't that difficult if you don't mind losing a few units. You'll end up negative gold and dead trolls though.

Theres an easier way to win though. Ignore any villages and recruit a load of level 1 trolls and a warlord, go up north into the mountains (take your leader and shamans as well). The AI will spend the first couple of turns capturing villages then once they start to get after you just use the trolls as a shield (they'll level up very quickly fighting in the hills and mountains) then use your stronger units to kill Smaug once they reach his castle.
telly

Post by telly »

And concentrate on killing the crossbowman first. Ogres and wolfriders will die when they attack the trolls. You can almost ignore the assassins, poison stops the trolls healing but on their own they do precious little damage, its the orc crossbowmen who actually kill your units and you get 16exp each time you take one out.
lynx

Post by lynx »

my tactic was fairly simple: Trolls. A bunch of Troll Warriors, several Trolls and plenty of Troll Whelps. I entered the scenario with over 200 gold, so this was no problem for me.
That's it.
I beat it on medium by building a wall of troll flesh, completely encircling the starting area. Didn't use all my trolls, so i could exchange them if neccesary...
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it another go.
Rothrorn the Wise
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Well, I did it finally by holding the river - though by turn 17 they broke through it was a desperate holding action to stop them getting at my shamen. By the end my forces were decimated with only a couple of trolls left. Fortunately saving inatrix was relatively easy and I managed to complete it first time (albeit losing my 2 remaing 2nd lvl trolls in the process).

btw losing gruu in the smug orc scenario did not lose me the game - is that a bug?
Rothrorn the Wise
tkilian

Post by tkilian »

I had no problem with the Smug Orc.
Having 6 level 3 trolls makes it pretty easy.
but i finished with no gold, so I started Saving Inarix with only $100.

And I can't get through this at all.

By the time the saurians appear, there is no way to get them north without being ambushed. By the time my troops get south, the 2 enemies have so many troops on the board, i get surrounded.
akeem

Post by akeem »

I got "through" the Inarix scenario a couple of times now (in Warrior mode). I started with Grüü and Plonk moving immediately to the south and orcish grunts (cheap) and wolf riders (fast movement) behind them. Try to move as fast as possible to the south and the saurians to north as fast as possible also. Don't get the saurians into much fighting. Stay a little more to the left to avoid elves, they are too numberous.
You should make it by turn 11 or 12 into the fort.

But for me the scenario never ended, event though I had all four saurians and Inarix in the fort. So I am stuck. Maybe someone can give me a hint what I missed.

akeem
tkilian

Post by tkilian »

take a look at the other post in the forum entitled "Son of black Eye Campaign" . it covers that error
Bablefish

Post by Bablefish »

I played through this senario on hard, I will admit that I took me a while. Considering I beat the senario by KILLING THAT SMUG ORC. By no means was this easy considering that he produces at least 4 units a turn even when you have every town. Hear is how I did it. Troll L3 Wolf rider L3 and assasin L2 up to the north, one newly created unit of each type, down to the south, and all my other units (3 L3 trolls, 3 L3 orcs, 1 L3 wolf rider, 2 L2 Archers, Leader and Shamans) went to the center. The trick is to strech out his units so thin that the center smashed there way to the leader and I killed him with 3 turns left to go.

One trick I found to make life easier is you can use a wolf rider (on any senario) to lead at least 5 enemy units chasing him around.