Defending south on Isar as Drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sorrow

Defending south on Isar as Drakes

Post by Sorrow »

If I leave a guy on that village where the saurian is, he dies 100% no matter what it is. If i don't i lose income horribly. How do you defend that spot.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Your leader kills the clasher, the healthy DA attacks the glider from the village, the skeleton finishes it, the ghost kills the augur from the water hex and the ghoul poisons the burner. That should give you a rather comfortable position.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Baufo wrote:Your leader kills the clasher, the healthy DA attacks the glider from the village, the skeleton finishes it, the ghost kills the augur from the water hex and the ghoul poisons the burner. That should give you a rather comfortable position.
... isn't he talking about defending as drakes from the threat from the undead rather than the other way round?

Anyway, as drakes vs undead at night, perhaps trying to defend is a mistake. Run away and give up your villages. You can always come back later and get them again. That's easy to say, though. On isars you can't run far. If the undead have plenty of units come nighttime, there's probably not much you can do. Best thing to do is kill lots of his units during the day and/or make him retreat right back, so he hasn't got good attacking chances at night.

Is green staring or finishing his turn? Even though it's night you should be able to kill 2 of his units if he's finished his turn. Even so the game looks lost.

In general, what I sometimes do as drakes on Isars is forget about defending my own territory too much and charge over the other side and help my ally kill his opponent. That way the drakes movement is used to good effect, often crippling one opponent. Perhaps also get your ally to come over and grab some good terrain on your side for defensive purposes.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Thats like turn 3 too, first night. I always feel too inept at first 1-3 turns to do anything. But I guess crippling the undead is the only real option. Also nothing happened in that game, he was random so i got a semi-dumb recruit vs him. Then I sorta shuffled my guys around trying to figure out how to defend. Then he hit and killed me horrendously.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

According to the green balls above the green units I assumed it was the beginning of greens turn.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Frostfire

Post by Frostfire »

hmm, well he loaded it from a save since we had to leave soon after that, but I think that he had already attacked with the ghost and the adept off of the village by that point.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

:) Hmm your ally with his heavy troll stratey wont be in much better shape to counterattack. either way. Move first the clasher 1 move back to the hill . Attack the skelelon with two flamers or 1 flamer and 1 augur if enough. Your boss attacks the afterwards the the DA in the village killing him ... depending on luck you keep on attacking the next DA etc. depends on your luck.

PS:Its only turn 6 and its surprising that the enemey was able to penetrate so deep into your lands allready.
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Defend with skirmishers and augurs. Only the adapts will have a good change to hit, and will take return damage. Next turn kill the adapts with skirmishers. Of course this requires a different recruiting strategies. If the first confrontation is at night, you should recruit skirmishers and augurs, especially if your are facing northeners and undead, who both are chaotic.
Secondly, avoid being attacked by 3 units, so put an unit beside the village. You will probably loose it, but you might keep the village.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Sombra wrote:PS:Its only turn 6 and its surprising that the enemey was able to penetrate so deep into your lands allready.
Heh, like I said, I got confused on a good plan and then just did nothing intelligent until I died.
I think my initial recruit was saurian/augur/augur/clasher

Edit: Also I don't know if he is ending or starting, I think starting. I saved replay and had to go really fast, then I loaded and took screenshot as soon s it loaded.