How to survive in level 11?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Guillaume

How to survive in level 11?

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,

I start this level with 178 gold pieces. I've recalled my best units with this small amount of money:

_ 4 Paladins
_ 1 Elvish Avenger
_ 2 Elvish Ranger (with one near to become an Elvish Avenger)
_ 1 Elvish Hero
_ Li'sar
_ Delfador
_ Kalenz
_ Konrad

I've tried many times (at easy level), but it can't live more than 8 turns :x
Ennemies come from everywhere. There are too many and too strong units.

What is the strategy for this level? I can't imagine how difficult it could be in hard level!!!

Guillaume
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I did that level, and playtested it but without level 10 (when I was doing it the Pass level where not submited yet)
Currently the level can be completed :-) I will put an edited version in the CVS. Meanwhile you can edit the scenario file and cut in half the Orcs' money.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that the main problem isn't so much that scenario 11 is difficult in itself, more that it's the third scenario in a row which is difficult, and the 5th scenario in the last 6 that is hard.

Scenario 7 is tough, and will certainly wipe out all your cash. Scenario 8 gives you some breathing room after scenario 7, but you better capitalize on it, because after that it gets difficult: scenario 9 is tough, you won't get much gold from it, and may lose some veteran troops. Scenario 10 is tough again, after you've just been bled in scenario 9. Scenario 11 isn't particularly horrid in itself, but it is tough, and coming after 9 & 10 magnifies its difficulty.

I like scenario 11 the way it is, but perhaps we could add in a new breathing-room scenario in there before it, to give players a chance to recover a little? It's also a little tedious in that scenarios 9, 10, and 11 all require Konrad to move to a certain location.

Anyone got any ideas for a good 'breathing room' type scenario? Perhaps a little side-quest scenario that takes a break from the northward march and quest to get the Sceptre of Fire.

David
Circon

Post by Circon »

Here's one that might fit in fairly well: (I'm trying to write it at home)
"One night while on the northward road, Konrad's scouts were ambushed by Undead."

{DUSK}
{DUSK}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{DAWN}
{DAWN}
{MORNING}
{MORNING}
{MORNING}
{MORNING}

This is sort of a zoom-in on the normal game. Let the map have normal width, double height. Start a Scout and some Horsemen on a keep and 3 castle squares. Give the Scout Recruit ability. They can try to hold their position against undead from the north, or flee south. On turn 7, Konrad and his men appear in the south end.
On turn 11, dawn breaks. Morale improves tremendously. Give the player 100 extra gold this turn to simulate the undead being weakened at dawn, since I guess there's no way to damage all the undead slightly or change the Lawful/Chaotic bonus within a scenario.
Dobob

Post by Dobob »

Circon wrote:I guess there's no way to [...] change the Lawful/Chaotic bonus within a scenario.
It could be done by adding other time periods, like zenith (+50% for lawful) and dark moon (+50% for chaotic). These would be added in the right config file (I think it is config.cfg, but I'm not sure) and be given a new pic (if fmunoz want :D ). Then, if you want to make undead very powerfull or very weak, then you will just have to add the zenith/dark moon time in your scenario. It shouldn't be added to all levels, since in those time, one side get butchered (and can only flee).