Basic strategy for Flight to Freedom

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friar tuck

Basic strategy for Flight to Freedom

Post by friar tuck »

(There seems to have been data loss on the forum server, so my original post got lost. Here's a shorter version...)

I'm stuck at Flight to Freedom. I've reached Endgame, but starting with 100 Gold there doesn't seem a chance to finish it.

I'm playing the original 1.3 version on medium.

Unfortunately, almost every scenario after "River of Skulls" is a gold drainer. I've been facing the same situation before with "Liberation" (the scenario before Endgame), where to raise my starting gold from 100 to 270, I had to go back all the way to turn 50 of "River of Skulls" and play fanatically resource-aware afterwards. But starting Liberation with 270, I have to recruit so much to survive that in the end of this scenario I'm at a deeply negative gold score and for the life of me I don't see a way around that.

So it seems I need a hugely larger purse at the beginning of Liberation and as I see the previous parts of the campaign, I'll have to go back at least until Blue River which means maybe it's better to reinstall the campaign (there have been some changes and bugfixes in the meantime) and start over.

But as playing resource-fanatic is not entirely my idea of huge fun (River of skulls is tedious at best, I don't want to imagine how many tries I'll need to find the perfect balancing of recruiting), I'm inclined to leave this campaign alone for good.

Unless I'm missing some fundamentally better strategy or anything else that could help me to finish in better condition.

How are other players coping with the last three scenarios of Flight to Frredom?
How much gold did you have at the end of "River of Skulls" and how much did you preserve until the scenario Liberation (or Endgame)?

Thanks in Advance for any help.
MadMax

Re: Basic strategy for Flight to Freedom

Post by MadMax »

friar tuck wrote:(There seems to have been data loss on the forum server, so my original post got lost. Here's a shorter version...)

I'm stuck at Flight to Freedom. I've reached Endgame, but starting with 100 Gold there doesn't seem a chance to finish it.

I'm playing the original 1.3 version on medium.

Unfortunately, almost every scenario after "River of Skulls" is a gold drainer. I've been facing the same situation before with "Liberation" (the scenario before Endgame), where to raise my starting gold from 100 to 270, I had to go back all the way to turn 50 of "River of Skulls" and play fanatically resource-aware afterwards. But starting Liberation with 270, I have to recruit so much to survive that in the end of this scenario I'm at a deeply negative gold score and for the life of me I don't see a way around that.

So it seems I need a hugely larger purse at the beginning of Liberation and as I see the previous parts of the campaign, I'll have to go back at least until Blue River which means maybe it's better to reinstall the campaign (there have been some changes and bugfixes in the meantime) and start over.

But as playing resource-fanatic is not entirely my idea of huge fun (River of skulls is tedious at best, I don't want to imagine how many tries I'll need to find the perfect balancing of recruiting), I'm inclined to leave this campaign alone for good.

Unless I'm missing some fundamentally better strategy or anything else that could help me to finish in better condition.

How are other players coping with the last three scenarios of Flight to Frredom?
How much gold did you have at the end of "River of Skulls" and how much did you preserve until the scenario Liberation (or Endgame)?

Thanks in Advance for any help.
I'm going to try to make River of Skulls easier in the next update. For now, all I can suggest is heading straight for where you know the exit is, to maximize your early finish bonus.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

MadMax wrote: I'm going to try to make River of Skulls easier in the next update. For now, all I can suggest is heading straight for where you know the exit is, to maximize your early finish bonus.
I'll try, but I'm not sure this will help. My problem with river of skulls is less finding the way, but balancing recruitment.

Because of chokepoints and slow movement of drakes underground, I doubt I'll ever find a way to finish in less than the 60 or so rounds I'm doing now, but if I recruit less (reducing upkeep and thus negative income), I'll be slowed down a lot because I don't have enough troops to attack with fresh trrops and let the wounded ones heal on villages at the same time.

With the size of army I've been starting with, I was able to control a large part of the map, either attacking the enemy leaders or blocking them in a smallish part of the dungeon, reducing their income and thus recruit rate. Recruiting less, I won't be able to do that, which leads to larger income for dwarves, more enemies to fight, and probably poor me blocked on all sides somewhere in the middle of the map. I doubt I'll be able to finish in time at all this way...
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Old thread but I am currently stuck at River of skulls.

The flight to freedom campaign was quite interesting, but the river of skulls is too awful.

I know at the least one path how to quickly go to the lava but then there are too many
dwarven units coming in, and the silly naga that stay to block the way.

I also find it highly unlogical that dragons ... go into a cave ... where dwarves kill them.

Dragons have wings don't they? So why do they enter a cave in order to escape????

I think it would not be so bad if the map would be somewhat more straight. We also
have a stupid pirate who can not fly, but if he dies the scenario is lost. The rest of my
army consists of all fliers. Why can't two or more units carry that pirate? This should
be enabled, just cut the movement to half, and they must end up next to the target
for flight (two units that fly have to carry) ...