You think a faction is overpowered? Come here!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: You think a faction is overpowered? Come here!

Post by Velensk »

That isn't a bad way to do things (though potentially risky). I was just answering why most people don't use them on offense. On defence you're much more likely to get juicy target with a 98ish% chance to kill it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Yeah it's risky, but using a poacher/thunderer combo, and 'zerking usually leads to a slightly injured 'zerk and a slightly dead enemy.

Though I only use this on a "Hard" target. Or a leader if he is outside the castle.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Simple question: Is there any for Drakes having 6 unit types, while other factions have 7 or 8?

Is it a balance issue (ie. that extra unit type making Drakes OP)? Is it a lack of resources (sprites, animation, etc)? Or is it one of those "you try it, shows the results and then we'll think about it" kinda thing?
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Why do you think number of units a faction can recruit is linked to their strength? I can edit the game to make knalgans unable to build anything but a yeti. 1 unit and i guarantee they will beat down most anything.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I only asked questions. I didnt state anything.

I'm just curious about the reasons. That's all.

IMO, as far as drake type units go, they're ok. But saurians could perhaps use a ranged (non-mage) unit type. But that is just my opinion. I'm not experienced enough to know about how balance works in Wesnoth. So I'm asking instead.
Scipion121212

Post by Scipion121212 »

Yoyobuae wrote:I only asked questions. I didnt state anything.

I'm just curious about the reasons. That's all.

IMO, as far as drake type units go, they're ok. But saurians could perhaps use a ranged (non-mage) unit type. But that is just my opinion. I'm not experienced enough to know about how balance works in Wesnoth. So I'm asking instead.
Problem is, that the game is already balanced on at least 99% and adding another unit to drakes would throw balance out of window (unless the unit would be useless, but that is not what you are aiming for :D ). It could be considered too much of a work to add new units and try to balance it again when we already have nearly perfectly balanced game.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Then I ask: Why was it not done in the first place?

I don't have any hopes of a unit actually being added (even a +1 HP change would be near impossible at this point). I'm just curious about what reasons were behind the decision that led to the current balance.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yoyobuae wrote:Then I ask: Why was it not done in the first place?
Because making every faction have an equal number of units can often mean forcing units into place that might not fit solely to meet a numbers quota. It's similar to the reason of why not every unit line goes to level 3. It adds a bit of variety and uniqueness to the factions.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I guess you're right Turuk. Thanks for the answer.
Froobloops

Post by Froobloops »

This file I uploaded is my evidence of how well the game is balanced. It is Drakes vs Knalgans.
Attachments
2p_-_Jungle_Struggle_replay.gz
This is a matchup against 2 human players with about the same experience playing the game (not pro's by any means), they are on the same computer - but they didn't look at eachother's move's so it is still legit.
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
The best way to win a game in Wesnoth is "All your base are belong to us".
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

I don't have a clue what your point is. This replay features a small, unbalanced map, a very crappy (and somewhat unlucky) drake player and a - somewhat better - dwarf player (with som ridiculous moves, but overall okay). What does it have to do with game balance?

I take it back. Now dwarves started to play horrible too...
Froobloops

Post by Froobloops »

csarmi wrote:I don't have a clue what your point is.
You're right I shouldn't have used that map as an example, since I think it was an add-on. I never said the players were good, but the damage and defense capabilities from fight to fight balance out pretty well, is my point.
The best way to win a game in Wesnoth is "All your base are belong to us".
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Oh I see. Yes, most likely... But this game still shows nothing, the best case it's an example of 'how to lose our winning advantage' :) Now THAT happens several times.
Faello

Post by Faello »

No, game is not balanced to the 99%. It's a false statement.

I think that drakes are a bit overpowered right now. I'm talking about saurian augurs mainly.

This is a 16gp unit that is fast, has good defence values, has pierce resistance and heals other units to. Saurian augurs don't have much hp's, but it's not that important because, as a support and battle caster, it's not meant to face melee combat.

Still they have 2x melee blunt weapon attack and they need a small amount of xp to level up (15xp!). They have 3x magic attack (so 2x attack trauma does not affect them because you can usually count on 2/3 hits) too which is quite decent during the night which becomes powerful when drakes get the Drake Flare.

They're also chaotic, which gives drakes tactical possibilities other factions can only dream about.

Basically, prolonging a combat to the opponent powerphase is usually a bad idea, but what can drake player do, is to attack with full drake force during the day and keep the conquered terrain with the help of the skirmisher and augurs to stop (already weakened opponent) from getting it back, repeating this tactic until he will surrender.

Augurs are probably the most often levelling up unit and with a decent level up too that make them a strong battle casters.

With their speed, they often don't need the protection retreating mages or adepts need.

Also, pierce resistance allows player to use them (if agressive style of play is needed) to force the kills on the units with pierce ranged attack like archers if necessary.

So a fast attack unit with magic attack, that can get a leadership bonus and doesn't need as much protection as standard combat casters, allowing to prolong the powerphase effectively, healing & stopping the poison, leveling up fast to the (either) a combat caster with a powerful magic attack OR semi combat caster with healing ability (how often druids level up to the shamans?).

Considering the fact, how powerful and mobile drakes are, I don't see a reason to power up this faction more.

Augurs amplify the fact that drake units, worth more on averange than other faction units, that are very powerful but still the same upkeep value, get a relatively cheap multipurpose unit allowing to utilize incredible variety of tasks for which other factions need at least 2 or more units and it's espescially evident in 2vs2 games I played hundreds or maybe about a thousand right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking through the anger or regret of losing some particular game, I'm not speaking because I've seen 1 bad replay that proves nothing, I'm speaking using my 5 years experience of playing this game and I thought a long time about it.

As much as it is possible to still win against the drakes, I've seen many decent players succumbing because of augurs in the situations they should still be allright while playing against other factions than drakes.

I think that something should be done with the augurs - definitely not taking the magic attack from them because it would be too much, but something making this unit slightly less useful definitely has to be done. I know that some decent players support this statement, but I will allow them to present their own opinion about it if they want to participate in this discussion.

I can say that I'm certain - 100% sure - that something with this unit is not right atm considering it's combination with rest of the drake faction units.

- Faello
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

The thief and poacher take approximately the same amount of experience to level up. It's only 15 if the augur is intelligent. Thieves level up comparably often, and a rogue is arguably more dangerous than either of the augur's level up choices.

Attempting to hold conquered territory at night against a chaotic faction using copious amounts of augurs and skirmishers generally results in failure. The combination of low HP and negative resists to most damage types makes them very fragile for their cost. Most (if not all) trait combinations for an augur can be killed by a single grunt, and cold damage is mostly useless against the Undead. In fact, the only unit undead unit that doesn't resist cold other than the walking corspse has a 49% chance to kill an augur attacking it with magic. But the Drakes usually aren't using augurs against the Undead.