After Bay of Pearls

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Privan

After Bay of Pearls

Post by Privan »

What is the difference between taking the ship and taking the overland path? I read in an earlier post someone mentioned taking the ships was a bad idea in older versions but was a good thing now, that's why I'm asking.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: After Bay of Pearls

Post by Dave »

Privan wrote:What is the difference between taking the ship and taking the overland path? I read in an earlier post someone mentioned taking the ships was a bad idea in older versions but was a good thing now, that's why I'm asking.
Why don't you try it and see? :)

The next scenario is completely different depending on whether you take the ship or go by land.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Integral

Post by Integral »

If you take the overland path, you lose all your gold (permanently) and all your units, and are attacked by a horde of undead units in a map with few villages in which the only units you can recruit are useless outlaws. DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE; you will arrive at Elensefar with no gold, no extra levels on your units (no White Mage, for instance, if you don't already have one), and nothing to show for it but a bunch of Thugs and Trappers (which not only are useless in most situations, but don't have a third level, so they aren't really a good long-term choice in a campaign)......if you're lucky enough to level an outlaw before it dies, that is.

On the other hand, if you take the land route, you have a nice easy fight, with all your existing units and gold, on a map that has plenty of villages, and where you get a special bonus that will be invaluable in a few scenarios (I won't spoil it by telling you what it is :) )

In short: DON'T TAKE THE SEA ROUTE; if you have, SAVE YOURSELF FRUSTRATION, GO BACK AND TAKE THE LAND ROUTE. Otherwise, you WILL arrive at Elensefar and wonder why your 2 thugs and a trapper keep getting slaughtered by second-level Orcish units...

There really ought to be a warning on that dialog box, something to the effect of "note: only choose the sea route if you are a Wesnoth expert AND enjoy self-flagellation!"

And yes, I am bitter about having taken that route in the past, why do you ask? ;-)

Daniel
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Integral wrote:If you take the overland path, you lose all your gold (permanently)
You no longer lose all your gold permanently by going to the Isles of the Damned.

There are also other new incentives for going there, which I'm not going to elaborate on, except to mention that there are now extra benefits if you can kill both Liches on Isles of the Damned. ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Michael

Post by Michael »

Killing those two Liches is hard, though! ;) Well, at least for me. I've tried two times so far, and I ran out of turns shortly before I made it to one of them! I get swarmed by Nagas quickly, which ties up units, but I've yet to check all of the temples. Provided it is not random, I do know, however, which I should not open. *grin*
Privan

Post by Privan »

Well, I figured I'd hit up the ship scenario, you end up (apparently as before) without you're recall troops, but you do retain 100 gold (plus you start with an outlaw and two mermen). If the temples aren't random, then the only real benefit, other than a bit of experience, is a White mage. I killed both Liches as well, nothing special except for massive experience (I came out of that map with the original outlaw, six trappers (level 2 archer troops) and two of the level 2 thugs (can't remember the name). You do get your original troops back in the next mission though. (As well as those you acquired in the Island)

Edit:
Actually the White Mage is a beast (significantly stronger than my other white mage at least).
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

When I tried both routes a while ago, I thought the ship journey was the better option. My main reason is that it is the only way you can get trapper, thug and bandit units in your party. Personally I don't rate the trapper much - especially compared with elven archers but the thugs and bandits are pretty useful fighters especially against undead since they use blunt weapons. I never managed to defeat both lichs as I run out of time and I must admit the siege scenario then took me a looooong time to master but I thought it worth it in the long run.
Rothrorn the Wise
Michael

Post by Michael »

In 0.7.7, I had chosen the ship option yesterday, and I really did struggle in the Isle of the Damned scenario. Tried a few times, but never managed to kill both enemy leaders. Made a mental note to get back to there and figure out how to deal with them, later. Went back to the previous scenario (had a save game from shortly before the end), finished it and picked the land travel option.

This was much easier, though my first attempt failed, because the nagas went after my White Mage. Lesson I learned: Use formations, don't let vulnerable units travel alone, unless they're scouts! Anyway, once I did this, the scenario wasn't hard. There's a lot of experience to be had here, and I gained an Elvish Rider, a second Knight, an Elvish Hero, and another Knight is about to level up. I still have a White Mage, two Elvish Captains and a Ranger. Unfortunately, no skilled Shaman (Druid) or any other spellcaster except the one White Mage. If I were to restart the campaign, I'd at least try for a second one.

That's my "army" for the next scenario. Haven't touched it yet, but judging by the map, this will be tough.
Privan

Post by Privan »

Killing the two liches took a few tries for me. What I did at the start was recuit all trappers to take down the vampire bats (which 2/3 times I tried the AI created two waves of straight bats, so it worked). Used them to kill the top left Liche, then created some Thugs & Bandits after killing him to take down the level 2 skeletons the other Liche sent me (I'm running on empty for funds at this point) and then cleared the temples and destroyed the other Liche on turn 24. I couldn't finish the next map with that group though, I only had something like 20-30 gold.