Countering heavy infantryment

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

waterd103

Countering heavy infantryment

Post by waterd103 »

When i'm playing the alliance online i have big troubles fighting groups of heavy infantrymen
i play standard settings on the basic 1v1 map online like blitz or charge.
the fact is that no unit seems to do the job, Dwarvish fighter and futpad seems the most suitables units to fight them, but they can hold em at best, any tips or something i'm missing?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Countering heavy infantryment

Post by Thrawn »

waterd103 wrote:When i'm playing the alliance online i have big troubles fighting groups of heavy infantrymen
i play standard settings on the basic 1v1 map online like blitz or charge.
the fact is that no unit seems to do the job, Dwarvish fighter and futpad seems the most suitables units to fight them, but they can hold em at best, any tips or something i'm missing?
HI are pretty slow, so one thing you want to do is outmanuver them. Hit them with units, and then retreat the ones that get wounded the next turn. Use ranged attackers (the thunder is nice, despite pierce resistances) as are the poacher and footpad at night. Fighters also work best at night, because they aren't counterattacker as hard (due to the layful nature of HI) Also, by getting too many HI, your enemy is probably not getting enough other units, so he will be under-defended other places on the map.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

fighters and footpads are good, as you say, but keep in mind that *any* ranged unit will do free damage, so thunderers and poachers (at night) are also good. It may take 2-3 turns to kill, but HI will not dodge very much, so you can usually do 10-20 damage a turn to it, and it is hard for them to run away.

Avoid attacking with melee until it is close to dead, and then only from good terrian.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

For orcs: Archers
For Undead: Adepts
For Drakes: Burners, augurs
For Loyalists: Mages
For Rebels: Mages, Woses(!)
For Dwarves: ranged anything, fighter from good terrain only. Violate this rule and use anything that is within one hit of killing it.

Day/night rules should be obvious except that Rebels should use Woses by day and mages by night unless likely to kill it in one turn.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

joshudson wrote:For orcs: Archers
For Undead: Adepts
don't forget ghouls and assassins! the HI is slow to retreat and thus can suffer greatly from being poisoned.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

I think it worths the try with trolls at night. They do the same amount but troll is 6 gold less expensive and is likely to recover next turn (it's night, in a lot of cases, loyalists won't expose theirselves near your frontline to shoot the troll)
joshudson wrote:Violate this rule and use anything that is within one hit of killing it.
True for every unit of any faction that is 12 to 16 gold, isn't it ?
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Well, guys, waterd was asking for knalgans strategy, didn't he? :wink:
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Yogi Bear wrote:Well, guys, waterd was asking for knalgans strategy, didn't he? :wink:
well, he didn't directly ask for it, but we can assume (because he was talking about dwarves) that that is what he meant.

I'm sure the extra advice is useful though.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

waterd103 wrote:When i'm playing the alliance online i have big troubles fighting groups of heavy infantrymen
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Wintermute wrote:
When I first read that I thought he meant the Alliance of Light/Darkness (Great War Era). :lol:
Then I realized he meant Knalgan Alliance, nonetheless, I just couldn't resist responding to mr. hudson's post there. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Though those HIs have a very thick armor and suffer greatly reduced damage from blade and pierce attacks their impact resistance is almost rediculous. Try attacking them with thugs at night, that should work well since their club does impact damage. And as already said, any kind of ranged attacks is good as well.
Vela

Post by Vela »

Clonkinator wrote:Try attacking them with thugs at night, that should work well since their club does impact damage.
Thugs have been removed from the Alliance. Long ago.

Anyway, your advice to use impact damage is still useful: I've found that footpads are a nice cheap counter for HI's. In your turn you attack from good terrain with the ranged, and in his he'll retaliate, but you'll likely get no damage. If you get hurt, you just zoc the HI while you get healed. Fighters can also be useful if you can attack from a mountain.

I'm sure there are better ways, but that one works nicely for me.

Edit: and, of course, getting free kills with thunderers and poachers can't hurt either.
Last edited by Vela on April 9th, 2007, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature, sure, I'll sign there...
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Whatever shoots, tends to kill HI pretty fast...
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Vela wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:Try attacking them with thugs at night, that should work well since their club does impact damage.
Thugs have been removed from the Alliance. Long ago.
:oops: Oops, forgot about that... Well, I'm not playing the Knalgan Alliance very often. Sorry 'bout that. But you can still easily get impact damage to counter HI with.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Clonkinator wrote: Thugs have been removed from the Alliance. Long ago.

:oops: Oops, forgot about that... Well, I'm not playing the Knalgan Alliance very often. Sorry 'bout that. But you can still easily get impact damage to counter HI with.
Did they? Damn it. They were great counter to many units.