Traits and campaigns

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ark

Traits and campaigns

Post by Ark »

interested to see what other people do in long (HttT, TRoW) campaigns; do you go on an all-out levelling spree for anyone and everyone you recruit, or do you go for the optimal (eg. strong/resilient on spearman -> royal guard) traits and funnel xp to them?

i seem to be OCDing whenever i do a campaign, if the units i recruit end up with crappy combinations (intelligent/quick oh god how i hate you) then it can cause me to restart or EVEN save-whore my way to the best recruits possible. so basically, tell me that it's a perfectly normal behaviour pattern for a wesnoth addict, or snap me out of it with some fancy logic...
Elvish Scientist

Re: Traits and campaigns

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Ark wrote:interested to see what other people do in long (HttT, TRoW) campaigns; do you go on an all-out levelling spree for anyone and everyone you recruit, or do you go for the optimal (eg. strong/resilient on spearman -> royal guard) traits and funnel xp to them?
I do not pay too much attention to the traits. I try to get higher level units as soon as possible, because if you have one, it will be a lot easier to get more. My first is therefore often an intelligent one.
If I can choose between several options (i.e. a spearman leveling), I first choose to the most versatile option (javelineer, rocklobber). The next may be one that can level up a second time.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

In general, I try only to level units with resilient traits.
Whether it's strong/resilient or int/res doesn't matter. Depending on the unit (e.g. healers like druids and white mages and silver mages) I might prefer to level quick/resilient.

However, in TRoW, I'm finding that the attrition on that map is such that you WILL lose high level units, so while I focus on leveling resilient units still, I'm perfectly willing to level up some weakers.
Last edited by Kalis on March 7th, 2007, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

I level all units no matter which traits they have, but I'm always trying to choose the path that makes the unit strongest with it's current traits.

Example: Spearman. If I get a non-quick one I usually go for Royal Guard (since he gains one MP anyway), if I get a quick resilient one I go for Javelineer and otherwise for Halberdier. I also don't go for Javelineer if the spearman is intelligent (since Javelineer can't level again).
Lord Sturt

Post by Lord Sturt »

I usually just try to get high-leveled units quickly (by making use of intelligent/anything other than quick traits)...but i sure do hate when you recruit quick/intelligent mages....bloody useless heaps of wasted gold they are... :evil:
<insert war-related/prophetic/evil quote here>
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Lord Sturt wrote:I usually just try to get high-leveled units quickly (by making use of intelligent/anything other than quick traits)...but i sure do hate when you recruit quick/intelligent mages....bloody useless heaps of wasted gold they are... :evil:
I'd just aim for a Great Mage, the intelligent trait should come in handy there. I think strong/intelligent or strong/quick are the absolutely most annoying traits to get for a mage. Although strong isn't that bad for a Mage of Light, so I definitely welcome a strong/resilient mage into my ranks.
Lord Sturt

Post by Lord Sturt »

zookeeper wrote: I'd just aim for a Great Mage, the intelligent trait should come in handy there. I think strong/intelligent or strong/quick are the absolutely most annoying traits to get for a mage. Although strong isn't that bad for a Mage of Light, so I definitely welcome a strong/resilient mage into my ranks.
I agree, but at least strong mages can be put to some use as MoLs, quick ones are just easy meat for melee units.
<insert war-related/prophetic/evil quote here>
Raliven

Post by Raliven »

I farm for the resilient trait. Other traits are nice, but resilient keeps your unit alive to fight again. If your leveled unit dies, all that XP is lost. So I try to feed XP to resilient units. If a unit is not resilient, it does not get recalled unless it has a lot of XP and I desperately need something to level fast.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

For me the MOST important trait in campaigns is loyal.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sombra wrote:For me the MOST important trait in campaigns is loyal.
Obviously, but it was a fair enough assumption to ignore it in this discussion since you can't get any loyal units by recruiting.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

zookeeper wrote:
Sombra wrote:For me the MOST important trait in campaigns is loyal.
Obviously, but it was a fair enough assumption to ignore it in this discussion since you can't get any loyal units by recruiting.
:) You are right off course. Still if you talk about which units to level . I think you should consider your old trustworthy and loyal units first.

As the thread is about about which is the most valuable trait and which units to funnel the xp. to....
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sombra wrote: :) You are right off course. Still if you talk about which units to level . I think you should consider your old trustworthy and loyal units first.
Indeed, loyal units rock and leveling them ASAP is very useful.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Actually Ark, rather than save-whoring, I would suggest you try this instead. At the start of every mission, train 1-3 new units and make sure one of them has the ideal traits you want.

Let's say on the first mission you get 3 or 4 units with ideal traits. If you continue this recruitment idea, by mission 5 you'd have 7 or 8 of them, and the number of units with ideal traits will continue to increase.

Since I'm doing TROW, this is my personal preference for units:
Royal Guard: strong/resilient, although I will level intelligent/resilient
Halberds: quick/resilient, although strong/res or int/res can be done
Javelineers: quick/res or strong/res

Silver Mages: Quick/resilient only. that 7 movement is key.
Great Mages: Quick/resilient, strong resilient, or int/resilient.
Mage of Light: same as great mage

Paladins: strong/resil only
Grand knights: int/resil only

These are the only units I really care about. Anything else I train is usually just suicidal frontlines or damage dealers :)