Interesting Situation

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cannibal

Interesting Situation

Post by Cannibal »

In a narrow passage, like in Den of Onis

Footpad + Ulfserker (14 + 19 = 33)

VS

Adept + Skeleton (16 + 15 = 31)

well as you can see these two taskforces cost approximately the same, any ideas on how to win in the side caves?
breversa

Post by breversa »

What's the unit of theses figures ?
French translation contributor
tadpol

Post by tadpol »

I would sugest that despite price that this is not a very close competition, as the footpad is a scout and so is not good at fighting. Part of the footpad's cost is that it is very fast which is not an advantage in a narrow cave.

However I can think of two things I'd try. This is off the cuff with no experimentation so maybe unrealistic. First with the footpad on a village and a empty hex between it and your ulf, if they attack with the addept (one on one I would be ok fighting skeleton in cave against footpad on vllage) the foot pad retreats a step the ulf kills the adept the footpad moves to the hex the adept died on, the skeleton kills it (probably) but with luck the skeleton is hurt enough for the ulf to take it... maybe. My second and (IMHO) much better plan is to run away, the footpad can take an attack from either of thiers and is faster so it can herass them while the ulf goes somewhere else to kill things.

The moral of the story is scouts are not fighters (nevermind the gryphon, calvaryman and drake fighter)
IB

Re: Interesting Situation

Post by IB »

Cannibal wrote:any ideas on how to win in the side caves?
Use superior numbers.
BMintern

Post by BMintern »

I wouldn't say that a footpad would be terrible against a skeleton. It can sling rocks (impact) at it without any retaliation damage, and its high defense even on open ground means that it is surprisingly survivable. Just to break it down:

Footpad: 30HP, 6-2 impact melee, 6-2 impact ranged, 50% cave, 60% grassland, 70% forest, hills, mountains, & villages, -30% blade resist

Skeleton: 34HP, 7-3 blade melee, 40% cave & grassland, 50% forests & hills, 60% village & mountains, -20% impact

The damage numbers work out as follows:
Daytime Footpad 5-2, 5-2, Skeleton 7-3
Dusk/Dawn Footpad 6-2, 6-2, Skeleton 9-3
Night Footpad 7-2, 7-2, Skeleton 11-3

Assuming Dusk/Dawn damage, it would take the Skeleton 4 hits to kill the footpad. Because of footpad defense, it will take an average of 3-4 turns for the skeleton to kill it. In the meantime, the footpad will get an average of 3-4 hits in retaliation, while also hitting 3-4 times without retaliation. So on average, before dying, the footpad will cause 6*7 = 42 damage to the skeleton before dying, which tells me that a footpad can take on a skeleton one on one, especially if the footpad uses its speed to ensure that it is in a village. In the daytime, the footpad has even better chances, worse chances at night.

So I agree that this 2-on-2 matchup is not fair, but I think that the Knalgans win it easily. The ulf has effectively a 100% chance of killing the DA, while the skeleton/footpad is about 50/50. Ulf on skeleton is generally a bad idea, but if the skeleton would only take 1 or 2 hits to finish and it's not night, it might not be a bad thing to do.

Edit: I just experimented a few times, and with the footpad on grassland and the skeleton in the forest, I had several fights to the death. It always turned out that whoever attacked first won, so I would definitely consider this to be a 50/50 matchup. If you manage to have your footpad on a village, there is a very high chance that the footpad would win.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Cannibal wrote:In a narrow passage, like in Den of Onis

VS

well as you can see these two taskforces cost approximately the same, any ideas on how to win in the side caves?
Side 1: If you need to, distract the skeleton with your footpad, and have the ulf kill the adept. The footpad should be able to hold his ground against the skeleton, and when the skeleton is very injured, the unharmed ulf can finish him.

Side 2: Attack the ulf with your adept, once, and then attack the ulf with your full-health skeleton. After this, the footpad will be mincemeat.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Cannibal wrote:In a narrow passage, like in Den of Onis

VS

There are more units to recruit than these two sets of units.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Cannibal

Post by Cannibal »

I won't point to any names here, but READ the post before responding

P.S. If you are new to english, nevermind
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Sorry O.o
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation