Gold for xp

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheChosenOne

Gold for xp

Post by TheChosenOne »

Can someone tell me how much xp is a gold worth?

(I'm trying to decide on what xp should I recall, or rather just recruit)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
IB

Post by IB »

Well seeing it takes 20 gold to recall, any experience on a unit worth 20 or more gold...cheap units I'd recall the near leveled ones, or ones with traits I want.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

There's no consistent value. Some units are much easier to level up, and thus may not be worth recalling without a lot of XP, while other units take a long time to level, and should be recalled with only a little XP, especially if they have the traits you want.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Imp

Post by Imp »

Forget trying to find a formula. I recall anybody with 7 XP or more and all shaman with 4 XP or more. Gold is not that scarce a resource in Wesnoth - and Wesnoth is not a game that requires micromanagement. :-)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There's no specific formula, but I usually won't recall a unit unless it has at least 16 XP. It is fairly easy to get a unit one or two kills, and IMHO the extra however-much gold isn't worth it, unless you really like the unit's traits.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Thanks a lot =)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Gus

Post by Gus »

Playing "Son of the Black Eye", this question is of interest to me, seeing how cheap Northerners are.

I just recalled 2 Grunts and 1 Archer with 14/34, 25/42, and 25/30 respectively. I dismissed those with less XP. I have the feeling it was not very cost-effective, what do you guys think ?
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Imo get the last 2 XPed ones, and eventually that 1st one.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

That depends entirely on how much gold you have on hand. :D

Personally, I like to recall units with the traits I like (e.g. resilient/intelligent, resilient/quick, or resilient/strong - although it completely depends on the unit).
Even if they're low XP, I recall one and then feed him exp.
Better to spend an extra 3-6 gold recalling, than to waste tons of gold training unit after unit hoping for these traits!

But yea, I focus way more on traits than I do on XP.
I've dismissed really high XP units before because they had traits like quick/intelligent. -10%hp? No thanks!