The great Higher Game replay thread!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

I wasn't concerned about footpads at all. They're so weak for their cost and upkeep. A gryphon has a higher sunken cost, but its range, resistance (well, bad impact resistance, but that's it), and power make it far better than the footpad. Well, footpads are decent against undead, but that's about it.

Poachers would have been an interesting choice. Their weak melee attack (compared to thundersticks) terrible performance against trolls compared to thunderers wouldn't have helped him much, since I did go a bit troll heavy. I like trolls. They would, however, have been annoying forest defenders, so it's probably something worth considering.

I don't think thieves would have been that huge, either. Northerners get lots of units, so getting into a position to backstab was probably really unlikely, except with my naga silliness.

Finally, I've considered a strategy of a token defense against dwarves on one side and a massive force on the other an idea worth considering. I often take advantage of their tactical slowness, but rarely apply it to long term scenarios. Having a lopsided offense on one side might be more useful than a balanced attack against such great defenders as dwarves. The theory is, if I hit them hard enough, they will pull back on my weak side, yet their slow speed will cost them the win. Maybe. This probably only works if their gryphons are dead or heavily injured.

Trolls have a 2/3 chance of being quick, so I always assume 5 moves for them. If not, at least they make the toughest level 1 defenders in the game, with 50 hit points, a nice (compared to guardsmen especially!) 8-2 attack, resistance, regeneration, and cheapness. :D I hate the intelligence trait because I rarely get promotions, so I feel naturally drawn to trolls.

I doubt if this replay is archive worthy, but I'll probably have a really interesting match eventually. 8)
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Here's an interesting Knalgan vs Knalgan match I had. Somehow, this guy called pod2 knew who I was. :shock: Maybe I should stop making scatological ninja names. :lol:

I've thought about the use of gryphons in this matchup. I think this guy's initial recruit was decent, but he was too aggressive with the gryphons, and aggressive in general. Gryphons have nice power and range, and their cost isn't that high when upkeep is considered in a long matchup, and you have to consider that they grab villages quickly in the beginning, compared to dwarves. They really aren't that expensive at all. They just aren't direct attack units, since dwarves resist blade and carry hammers.

I didn't make any thundersticks. I used poachers for range because I wanted a forest unit. I really wonder how useful thundersticks could be in Knalgan vs Knalgan, since other dwarves can hold mountains and hills just fine. I think poachers might actually be the better choice.

I do like ulfzerkers in this matchup because dwarves are so hard to kill, even when injured. Gryphons can also be pretty lucky (the one against my ulf wasn't :lol:) at dodging. Ulfzerkers are nice for killing the injured, even though they're not that powerful by themselves. Their speed also came in handy, too.
Attachments
2p_-_Blitz_replay_(dwarf_vs_dwarf).zip
(7.99 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Higher Game wrote:Here's an interesting Knalgan vs Knalgan match I had. Somehow, this guy called pod2 knew who I was. :shock: Maybe I should stop making scatological ninja names. :lol:

I've thought about the use of gryphons in this matchup. I think this guy's initial recruit was decent, but he was too aggressive with the gryphons, and aggressive in general. Gryphons have nice power and range, and their cost isn't that high when upkeep is considered in a long matchup, and you have to consider that they grab villages quickly in the beginning, compared to dwarves. They really aren't that expensive at all. They just aren't direct attack units, since dwarves resist blade and carry hammers.

I didn't make any thundersticks. I used poachers for range because I wanted a forest unit. I really wonder how useful thundersticks could be in Knalgan vs Knalgan, since other dwarves can hold mountains and hills just fine. I think poachers might actually be the better choice.

I do like ulfzerkers in this matchup because dwarves are so hard to kill, even when injured. Gryphons can also be pretty lucky (the one against my ulf wasn't :lol:) at dodging. Ulfzerkers are nice for killing the injured, even though they're not that powerful by themselves. Their speed also came in handy, too.
Why in God's name did you post this match? It was HIS FIRST GAME. He says so in the replay. It's a waste of everyone's time and proves/demonstrates absolutely nothing. Anyone could have recruited two units and beaten this guy.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
IB

Post by IB »

I think your opponents need advice more, the advice to you could be to play someone who knows how to play.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

For a "first game" he played fine. I play many new players who I would never post a match of, since it would be a waste of time. This guy was good for someone new. Lots of you guys are like Creationists. A new link is discovered, and suddenly, you find 2 more "missing links" to poke at. :evil: Soon I'll have to defeat 3 players with nothing but mass trolls while standing on my head and a 0:30 time limit on my turns. Well, I probably could do that, except the standing on the head part.

I mainly posted the match because I thought it was funny that pod2 knew that it was me, with no hints except for my name. I found it amusing. I also posted my general thoughts on Knalgan vs Knalgan. I mean no disrespect to the beginner.

As for tr00 players, I keep an eye out for well known names, but considering that there is no password for names, even that has to be met with skepticism. That's just the life of the hardcore Wesnoth player! :)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Higher Game wrote:For a "first game" he played fine. This guy was good for someone new.
Right. He attacks a healthy gryphon with an ulf. Attacks a healthy unit on a village with just a poacher. The list goes on. I really don't think he could have possibly played worse.
Higher Game wrote:I mainly posted the match because I thought it was funny that pod2 knew that it was me

You posted the whole match because an observer came in and said "Is this Higher Game?" Pretty exciting and funny, I know. You did tell everyone on this forum that you played under the name "Rectum." Is it that unusual for someone to guess that this guy "Anis," was you?
Higher Game wrote: As for tr00 players, I keep an eye out for well known names, but ....
Higher Game wrote: That's just the life of the hardcore Wesnoth player! :)

Don't act as though you have any interest in playing real players, please, because you know that if you went on that server as "Higher Game," the wolves would swarm you. Try it.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

hehe, Doc paterson is the ultimate Higher Game smiter :P
Right. He attacks a healthy gryphon with an ulf. Attacks a healthy unit on a village with just a poacher. The list goes on. I really don't think he could have possibly played worse.

I dont get that, he ulfed a gryphon? Wasn't this orc vs knalgan, can orcs recruit gryphons? :P
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

The second game was dwarf vs dwarf.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

romnajin wrote:The second game was dwarf vs dwarf.
haha, right, stupid me :D I'll watch that one too, I had only checked the first one

EDIT: Omg... That was just lame... HG please post normal, interesting games, with people at least a little more experienced than what you just showed us. A 1v1, with on 1 side someone who hasn't ever played before is ok(even if it's useless, I guess its ok.). But dont post it on forums! :P
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Here's a match that I would consider interesting. I won again, of course, using rebels. :twisted: It shows that the luck factor can be extremely unreliable in a free for all. If you're too lucky, everyone gangs up against you. If they do, you have to be as skilled as I am to defeat them. I fought until the last man, literally. Luckily, the last man was that of my enemies! 8)

Lagoon is quickly becoming my favorite map.
Attachments
4p_-_Lagoon_replay_(3v1).zip
(34.42 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

When I say luck is unreliable, I mean that it became a 3v1 in the end. Someone with knowledge of game theory and other stuff should make a square with 4 players, and what the possibilities are if 1 player becomes lucky. I think a 3v1 would be the bottom right square, where the cartel works together, and no one cheats, and the one "lucky" guy would have to be REALLY lucky to beat all 3! :lol:

There was fog in that match, by the way.
traverser

Post by traverser »

I would challenge you, but my time schedule is very random, post a time and I would PM you if I have time. Give me name and game
I will go random :twisted:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Great new idea: In addition to having their dino placed in the Hall of Eternal Champions, the winner of each tournament wins a special 3 -Game Punching Bag Match with Higher Game.
without your noses.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Higher Game wrote:If you're too lucky, everyone gangs up against you. If they do, you have to be as skilled as I am to defeat them.
This one's a(nother) gem =D
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Gus wrote:
Higher Game wrote:If you're too lucky, everyone gangs up against you. If they do, you have to be as skilled as I am to defeat them.
This one's a(nother) gem =D
Indeed, those are the best lines, ever.