Please give advice about my abominable use of drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

troodon

Post by troodon »

I just played a multiplayer against the computer, drakes vs loyalists. I only won because it played horribly, because last week, the computer easily killed me on the same map. Can someone please take the time to look at this replay and tell me what mistakes I made?

Replay: I was the drakes.

You can view the replay by extracting the file to the folder it was downloaded to, then run the command

Code: Select all

wesnoth --compress (the extracted file's location) (to the replay folder in wesnoth)
Do NOTinclude the parentheses.

Thanks.
Attachments
4p_-_Clash_Bad_replay.txt.tar.gz
(20.85 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

About the first 3 turns:
- You recruited far too many scouts (Gliders) for no good reason. It's rare that you'd even need one scout as a drake player since all your units are pretty mobile.
- You charge right into the enemy at his best time of day risking your units (you put one needlessly next to a village of your opponent from where he could conveniently counter attack) to kill the one unit on the battle field you need to worry least about.

If you want to start attacking the enemy right away (which is surely not a bad idea as drake) you need to estimate when your forces will meet. On this map you would have been much better off recruiting mostly saurians (ie. chaotic units) so that you can engage immediately at your best ToD, Coincidentally that would have also been the worst ToD for your enemy.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Mass clashers and burners are hard to stop. Clashers slaughter horsemen, cavalry, and just about everything else for that matter, and burners are the solution to heavy infantry.

Perhaps your biggest advantage is night fighting. Saurians can punish the loyalists at night, while drakes can do pretty well at day.
JW

Post by JW »

Higher Game wrote:Mass clashers and burners are hard to stop. Clashers slaughter horsemen, cavalry, and just about everything else for that matter, and burners are the solution to heavy infantry.
Clashers and Burners are beaten pretty nicely with Spearmen and Bowmen (with a Horseman in the mix for Burners).

It's important to compliment your Clashers and Burners with the mobile Fighter and also Saurians for night pressure.
Kavlax

Post by Kavlax »

"Please give advice about my abominable use of drakes"

That's almost exactly the title of the thread I was about to start lol.

Seriously, how does one go about winning with drakes? Now I'm not a complete idiot, I have won with them before. But it's always ugly and usually against a noob. Their units are just ripped to pieces so easily. Even though they do such great damage I can't seem to keep them alive. Anyone have any replays of drakes owning?

Also, I dare someone to convince me drakes could EVER beat dwarves against an evenly skilled opponent. I've never seen drakes do anything but take to a swift death against dwarves and would LOVE to see them win against them just once.
Fiach Dubh

Re: Please give advice about my abominable use of drakes

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Kavlax wrote:Also, I dare someone to convince me drakes could EVER beat dwarves against an evenly skilled opponent. I've never seen drakes do anything but take to a swift death against dwarves and would LOVE to see them win against them just once.
One word.

Mobility.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Kavlax - Dwarves are the least mobile race and drakes are the most. It sounds like you haven't mastered the fine art of leveraging drake mobility, and you are probably trying to play them defensively (like Rebels).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
troodon

Post by troodon »

Thanks for the advice. Is this better?

replay, drakes(me) vs. loyalists(ai). To view the replay, see the instructions in the first post.
Attachments
4p_-_Clash_replay2.txt.tar.gz
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 167 times