Psychological units:

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xandria

Post by Xandria »

The Adept is notoriously threatening - even one hit sends you far closer to the grave. I don't care abou the mage's puny stick attack - the adept has more HP and is cheaper, so you can actually spam them.

They ARE scary.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Hmm.. then I guess I forgot their price, but I never remember them being so low. :?
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

if you fear adepts, i suggest you play as knalgans... (ulfserker) due to adepts lack of melee attack, 100% chance of kill. then just put a couple fighters in front of the ulf and adepts shant be a problem for you.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Since there's a limit in the number of assault rounds, it's not 100% CTK, but close enough for my correction to be called "nitpicking" ;)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
podunk

Post by podunk »

Chocabones. At night. Charge=double damage. Night=+25%

One at the least can put your heaviest tank in the red. 2 is gaping holes in your line or sure death to even your strongest advanced unit.

Fortunately they're only in 2 campaigns.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

At the same time i overestimate and underestimate elusive foots, i tend to spend valuable attacks on them instead of weakening other, easier to kill, units. I overestimate them because i often attack them for no reason, but try to half their hp /get a lucky kill. I underestimate them because i always think about their poor resistances to physical attacks so i hope for a "lucky shot" (still about 50% times i do, i use to at least half my opponents hp).

I underestimate skeely archer and orcish archer. They just seem so weak. I also began to underestimate trolls as they are just so easy to kill and have no punch whatsoever.

I overestimate drakes. Scary.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Martinus wrote:At the same time i overestimate and underestimate elusive foots, i tend to spend valuable attacks on them instead of weakening other, easier to kill, units.
Elusive foots can be an annoyance, considering that they are hard to finish off. It's satisfying to get 4/4 hits on a orcish assassin from an elvish fighter, or 2/2 hits on a fencer (in mountains!) from a gryphon. All in luck whether you hit them or not.
Martinus wrote:I overestimate them because i often attack them for no reason, but try to half their hp /get a lucky kill. I underestimate them because i always think about their poor resistances to physical attacks so i hope for a "lucky shot" (still about 50% times i do, i use to at least half my opponents hp).
The only way to go on elusive foots is to kill them or leave them alone, unless you wish to put them out of the battle for a turn, since they usually are quite quick and can retreat to a village. (as I said earlier, you can't trust on 2/4 or 3/4 hits from an elvish fighter.
Martinus wrote:I underestimate skeely archer and orcish archer. They just seem so weak.
If you mean fragile, yes they are weak. The orcish archer still does a nice fire attack. And the skeleton archer has nice resistances. For the most part I agree with you.
Martinus wrote:I also began to underestimate trolls as they are just so easy to kill and have no punch whatsoever.

Trolls aren't easy to kill. With 42 base hp, regeneration, and resistances, it isn't very easy to finish off on hills or mountains, including cave. However the troll can't get intelligent, therefore it has a 50% to get resilient, a 50% to get strong, and a 33% chance to get both.
Martinus wrote:I overestimate drakes. Scary.
Clashers and burners are scary during day. (though not as much as undead are at night :D )
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

The only part i disagree with you is about trolls. Even with their high hp and resistances, they can easily be outrun and anywhere outside hills, mountains and rarely met in MP caves they have 30/40% defence. This mean archer unit will have easy time outrunning the unit, surrounding it and of course dealing horrible amount of damage as most hits will hit.
Theo

Post by Theo »

I overestimate trolls and Elves. I realize that the trolls can regenerate HP and have a decent melee attack, but other than that, the Troll Whelps are nothing more than cannon fodder in my personal opinion. Leveled up trolls on the other hand...

And about the Elves, I overestimated their abilities when engaged in combat with Orcs. They can be quite easily slaughtered even when taking cover in forests, which is what I did 90% of the time. On the other hand, the first day I played Heir To The Throne, I have avoided Elvish Scouts like the plague, underestimating their abilities. I regretted that decision in later scenarios and have since learned my lesson.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I agree totally with Theo about elves. To get the most out of them you have to take advantage of their mobility in forests, which I always forget when I look at the high number of attacks.

I also tend to terribly underestimate all the Outlaw units, especially Footpads.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Footpads tend to be dagerous if used properly. And most of all annoying
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Theo wrote:I overestimate trolls and Elves. I realize that the trolls can regenerate HP and have a decent melee attack, but other than that, the Troll Whelps are nothing more than cannon fodder in my personal opinion. Leveled up trolls on the other hand...
here's a little information about the troll...
weak melee attack 7-2. lots of hp for a lvl 1. regenerates, increasing your frustration. slow. I absolutely agree with their use as cannon fodder- that is their use :) Lvl 2 trolls can be devastating. A whelp doubles its damage when it lvls to a troll. Lvl 1's can be overrun on bad terrain, so they do have their weaknesses.
Theo wrote:And about the Elves, I overestimated their abilities when engaged in combat with Orcs. They can be quite easily slaughtered even when taking cover in forests, which is what I did 90% of the time. On the other hand, the first day I played Heir To The Throne, I have avoided Elvish Scouts like the plague, underestimating their abilities. I regretted that decision in later scenarios and have since learned my lesson.
Elves are my personal favorite race. They specialize in ranged attacking which can be deadly against drakes and northerners, less so knalgans. Their weakness is having no impressive resistances, which escalates when they are in bad terrain. (anything but forest/ mountain) They can be deadly due to their flexibility, and are unchallenged in forest.