Drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

troodon

Drakes

Post by troodon »

I am terrible at playing with the drakes. Can someone please give me some advice?
new

Post by new »

This was a question too for much time! See you this side: How to play Drakes
Last edited by new on December 2nd, 2006, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

Drakes are all about heavy day hitters and good mobility.
You should deside when and where the battles take place, try to use this adventage.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

YbeRn00b wrote:Drakes are all about heavy day hitters and good mobility.
You should deside when and where the battles take place, try to use this adventage.
And make sure your decision involves open terrain. Attacking units on good terrain would be a nightmare.

[sidenote]
I recently played as drakes v. northerners. I didn't follow any of my advice, and played like I do when I'm not thinking (aggresive and hoping for luck). I lost horribly, (well, resigned because I knew I would lose) and then had a rematch, with same sides. I then played "well" and schooled the other person. Both times I had a lower than usual EV. For me this gives validation to the claim that they aren't unbalanced, but rather just take a higher level of skill.
[/note]
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Today a kind gentleman lost playing Drakes against me and my humble undead. He did not follow the one true advice: don't allow (too many) adepts to connect at night. Allowing but one adept and one archer to fire at his leader cost him the game. He let me choose the battle, and with drakes, once is often enough.

Another time a friend tried chasing my elven archers out of the woods. True, his Drake Slasher leader, with his mean halberd, could hack my poor archers apart, but he took many many arrows in return. Terrain was not in his favour - he chose the wrong place. Several archers fell, but his leader likewise. Fine with me.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

That would be me redvasily :D

What about the first game we played, eh? :wink:
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

my newbish advice:

do not attempt to "hold ground" with their units and try to retreat at dusk.

position your units for maximum reach. on a map like blitz, that means in the water in the center(obviously if there aren't any pesky merman around)

Don't position your units for defensive bonuses from terrain. unlike the other factions, your mindset should be: how can i put my drakes where, if they are attacked, the enemy would be easier to hit back?

Don't use them on isar's cross.

that's about it i think.
JW

Post by JW »

Lone_Isle wrote:my newbish advice:

position your units for maximum reach. on a map like blitz, that means in the water in the center(obviously if there aren't any pesky merman around)

Don't position your units for defensive bonuses from terrain. unlike the other factions, your mindset should be: how can i put my drakes where, if they are attacked, the enemy would be easier to hit back?

that's about it i think.
This is good advice. Drakes, when playing defensively, go from 30% defense to 40% defense. Use a different tactic.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Lone_Isle wrote:

I never thought this was that huge of a problem (I think they had a moderate disadvantage). I don't know if you've tried the newer version, but it improves things considerably.

Likewise, the upcoming version of Morituri gives our reptilian friends a bit of a boost.

You can find that in the Multiplayer Map Reader's Digest.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

here's another piece of drake wisdom:

If the enemy sends to you a solid, well balanced group of units that you cannot possibly hope to best in a direct confrontation, then as they approach you, MAKE A BEELINE FOR THEIR LEADER.

Often the kind of units a a drake cannot defeat, can be outrun.
JW

Post by JW »

Lone_Isle wrote:here's another piece of drake wisdom:

If the enemy sends to you a solid, well balanced group of units that you cannot possibly hope to best in a direct confrontation, then as they approach you, MAKE A BEELINE FOR THEIR LEADER.
This, I think, is less solid advice.....
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

When you don't know what else to do, just charge 'n rush. :shock:

Search for the "Going Tilt" strategy thread for a more in-depth discussion 8). :lol:
redvasily_

Post by redvasily_ »

Lone Isle, you are mistaken. Xandria and I are to different persons.

There are lots of games on a server, so threr are perhaps more than one Undead vs Drake per day.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

here's my opinion on drakes: the average player has a difficult time using them, as mentioned by thrawn. it is easier to counter drakes than to use them. by not using their mobility and excessive daytime damage, you ignore their best qualities. hit/heal could be a good strategy. just don't ignore saurians, unless you are talking about drakes is specific.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
maliciouskorean

Post by maliciouskorean »

not the greatest player but heres my advice:
spread your drakes out during the night, do not have them close together. this means a couple may die, but i think thats better in this case than having many weakened ones. then start to consolidate your army when dawn comes. all through the day until dusk you should just be pushing forward, don't relent. then spread apart again, taking advantage of terrain to make it harder for the enemy to follow, heal and wait.