Unit table

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mumak

Unit table

Post by Mumak »

Hi all,

First off let me say this game is great. I like it a lot. It sortove reminds me of lords of the realm II, which is so far my favorite stratagy game. If only ranged attacks had range this game would be better.

Anyway the point of this post is to ask if anyone has a table of units and what the level into. The reason I ask is because sometimes people will post to use such and such a unit, but I don't have that unit and don't know how to get one.

For example in the thread about the test of the clans (which I also can't beat) Insinuator mentions that he is using a grand knight. The best knight I have is a paladin. Where does thig grand knight come from?

Right now my army consists of 2 elvish champions, 2 elvish sharp shooters, 2 shades, 1 level 4 red mage, 1 level 2 white mage, 5 paladins, 5 dwarven lords, and level 2 elvish scout. I can't help but wonder if maybe the thievs would have developed into cool units, or the elvish scout.

Also on the same topic my grifins don't level, but in previous levels I have fased level 2 griffins. How do I get those?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

A full and up-to-date table of units can be found here. It's dynamically generated from the CVS version, so it's somewhat prone to change.

In answer to your other questions -

The Grand Knight is an alternate upgrade for the Knight, with more hitpoints and damage than the Paladin but without the Holy attack and healing.

The Elvish Scout develops into the Elvish Outrider. It currently doesn't have a third level, though discussion is underway about a possible Elvish Mounted Archer or somesuch.

The Thief develops into a Rogue and then an Assassin. Both of these are skirmishers, and that alone makes them very cool.

Gryphons are a Level 2 monster without a rider, Gryphon Riders are a Level 1 unit. Currently they don't have an upgrade, though hopefully they will in time.

Hope this helps.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
miyo

Re: Unit table

Post by miyo »

Mumak wrote:If only ranged attacks had range this game would be better.
This has been discussed many times (you can find those posts here on forum) and while game engine supports true ranged attacks the developers think it would make game more complex (while we are trying to stay simple).

- Miyo
elusivespoon

Post by elusivespoon »

The units table would be more useful if it also displayed unit abilities (leadership, cure . . .)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

elusivespoon wrote:The units table would be more useful if it also displayed unit abilities (leadership, cure . . .)
I concur, it'd also be nice if it displayed a unit's other stats, especially hitpoints, xp requirements, and movement allowance.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I've posted an update script with unit abilities and attack special power...

I now know enough of the structure to add anything you want...

mvt, hp, attack type whatever...

just ask, and I'll post an updated version
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

How about:

Unit Name
HP
Movement
Special Abilities
Attacks

Hmmmm. Would it be possible to also have "Movement Type" and have that link you through to the dynamically generated Movement Type table here?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sangel wrote:How about:

Unit Name
HP
Movement
Special Abilities
Attacks

Hmmmm. Would it be possible to also have "Movement Type" and have that link you through to the dynamically generated Movement Type table here?
movement type is supposed to stay hidden from the user, and just be something for developers, i think. so it wouldn't be great to have it on a table used by people who play the game casually.

as for multi-hexed ranged attacks- they are in the game! play the third or fourth scenario in the Orcish campaign, and you will see them. you will also see the reason they are rarely used in the Frequently Proposed Ideas thread (in the ideas forum). ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:
Sangel wrote:How about:

Unit Name
HP
Movement
Special Abilities
Attacks

movement type is supposed to stay hidden from the user, and just be something for developers, i think. so it wouldn't be great to have it on a table used by people who play the game casually.

as for multi-hexed ranged attacks- they are in the game! play the third or fourth scenario in the Orcish campaign, and you will see them. you will also see the reason they are rarely used in the Frequently Proposed Ideas thread (in the ideas forum). ;)
I think movement type should be in it. The casual user can ignore it, but since it defines (in part) where the unit is good/bad, it is an important part of any unit....
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

here you go...

I didn't put movement type because there is no consensus on it, but it's just one more line, so no technicall problem
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

IMO it should display a summary of the movement information. Something like,

Resistance to blade (20%), piercing (10%). Vulnerability to impact (30%).
Moves fastest in grassland, forest (i.e. list of all terrain it has 1 move cost in)
Best defensively in forest, villages (60%), hills, mountains (50%)
Worst defensively in shallow water, sand (30%), grassland (40%)

I think it'd be good if the unit summary when recruiting a unit in-game also displayed something like this.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hmm, it can be done as far as perl is concerned, there would be a problem of spacing on the page though...

and my html is non existant
miyo

Post by miyo »

http://wesnoth.slack.it/unitlist.cgi <-- this has existed since dawn of Wesnoth.

- Miyo
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

True, but it's not as readable as the Advancement table is. :)
Eponymous-Archon

Tiny change

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Made a tiny change to include height and width attributes in the img tags. Keeps the page from shifting around as it loads (in Safari anyway).
The Eponymous Archon