Counter Units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Glowing Fish wrote:Nope, because it doesn't have a ranged attack.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's weak to any particular unit. Usually, it can just bash ranged attackers in melee - they have lower retaliation to make up for their ranged damage.
I agree that the entire Dwarvish Fighter line is harder to counter than many. I would say that there is no unit you would automatically go to if your opponent recruits lots of Dwarvish Fighters.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Hm. The ghost does a decent job at foiling dwarvish fighters, and the orc assassin likewise: dwarves have a hard time withdrawing, and don't have a healer. Plus, there are not as many mountains on most maps, meaning that when you drive him from a mountain with poison, you can place something on it as to prevent him from returning, such as a troll.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

It reminds me "The Northern Rebirth" campaign - the mission "Clearing the Mines" . You are playing against 4(!!) Draugs + Malifor (demilich? maybe something even more horrible...). Fortunately you are allowed to recruit dwarves.
If you recruit cca. 8 full castles of dwarves, you are able to hold all two frontlines. And if you recall your veteran dwarves (Steelclads, Lords or Thunderguards, Dragonguards), it's fairly easy to prevail..... :wink:
Xeron_

Post by Xeron_ »

thunderguards are hard to counter - they got high resistances, high defence values, decent health and deal good melee as well as ranged damage.

- they are unrelieable attackers, but their return damage as awesome
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Thunderguards can be countered by Woses, Heavy Infantry or Skeleton Archers. Or, less so, by Skeletons.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Removed the irrelevant argument on Thunderers.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Glowing Fish wrote:Thunderguards can be countered by Woses, Heavy Infantry or Skeleton Archers. Or, less so, by Skeletons.
And Trolls.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

although i play 1.0.2 (i'll download 1.2 when it comes out) the pikeman should have 40% resistance to pierce, nullifying the thunderer's 18-1 ranged,
while (assuming it is a neutral time of day) doing 8-3 and taking only 6-2. If he's on grassland, he's burnt toast.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

THe only problem is that when we're speaking of Pikemen, then the level 2 dwarvish shooter is the Thunderguard, with a 28-1 ranged. So the Pikeman will take 17-1 shots, and some 6-3 (?) in melee. Ouch.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

alright, maybe i was wrong about the pikeman...

but a good counter for the thunderer should be the ulfserker. and the thunderer's 18-1 ranged shouldn't matter- the ulfserker's greater movement means it will attack 1st and should win. (this is suggesting that you weakened the thunderer with fighters first)
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

What is the counter unit for the Dwarven Guard line?
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

Glowing Fish wrote:What is the counter unit for the Dwarven Guard line?
wose.... or simply ignore them

it's often good idea to let them attack u and getting weakend by counter attacks first before you take a shot at him. since steadfast only works during defence.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

anything that resists pierce.

HI would be a good counter, as dwarves have no efficent way to get rid of them. :wink:
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Glowing Fish wrote:What is the counter unit for the Dwarven Guard line?
Prettymuch anything that uses fire or cold. Preferably with magic attached.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Old topic - how to counter HI with dwarves? They usually kinda get smashed, and HI has get high resistance to thunderers (Which hit most of times - but not all).