Counter Units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

It usually only has a 30% chance of hitting, and it if misses, that doesn't influence the latter chances. It will ALWAYS have a very difficult time landing any hits at all, while the slayer can hit back hard, even though it's a blade attack. When you consider that the slayer will add a little extra damage on its turn with the knives, it makes up for much of the deathblade's resistance.

There's simply a good chance that the slayer will land both hits, and the deathblade won't hit back at all, AND the slayer will throw daggers on its next turn. Only with luck can a slayer be defeated, or mass mages. ;)

Of course, it's worth noting that a balanced orc force will have loads of trolls. Considering balanced forces, the slayer is probably the most powerful, pivotal unit, since there isn't really anything that is VERY good against it.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

16% chance that the deatblade misses all hits.

25% chance the slayer hits both times (50% defense of the target)
Of course, it's worth noting that a balanced orc force will have loads of trolls. Considering balanced forces, the slayer is probably the most powerful, pivotal unit, since there isn't really anything that is VERY good against it.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

You know, speaking of level 2s, why not charge a knight at the slayer? You need one hit - a 51% chance to kill, if I am correct.
Slayer on a stick, anyone?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Xeron_

Post by Xeron_ »

if there is the possibility to get it on a farm afterwards mages burn slayers considerably well.

again: ideal counter unit: the Lich - undead => immune to poison - life stealing melee AND magical ranged - sad they'r level 3

Ulfzerkerz slay the slayers

how do undead players counter white mages?
Gus

Post by Gus »

Higher Game wrote:Of course, it's worth noting that a balanced orc force will have loads of trolls.
:roll:
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Xandria wrote:You know, speaking of level 2s, why not charge a knight at the slayer? You need one hit - a 51% chance to kill, if I am correct.
Slayer on a stick, anyone?
At day, its probably a good tactic. Maybe not so much at night!
I would actually play it conservative and use the sword, not the lance, in Knight vs. Slayer.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Well, it depends on how much you trust your luck. One hit - one kill. At day, of course, plus, you get a nifty blade resist on the knight. Which is welcome, of course. And, if the slayer is on grass, your chance to kill increases to a nifty 64 percent. As for countering white mages - hack them at night, plus, they suck against Dork Adepts. The adept even gets a Holy Resist. Combined with the White Mage's absence of anything resembling hit points, he's dead. Just don't hesitate and go for the kill. You need but three hits at night, if I am correct.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

So is anyone going to guess what I think the unit that is hardest to counter is?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Glowing Fish wrote:So is anyone going to guess what I think the unit that is hardest to counter is?
Dwarvish Fighter?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Sombra wrote:16% chance that the deatblade misses all hits.

Yes, you can throw statistics at me, but in the real game, I see it happen all the time, since orcs are a common enemy in most campaigns. Slayers are simply one of the hardest enemies in the game to hit, and they almost always get at least 1 hit back, often 2. They almost always have the night advantage, since most combat begins at night after villages are taken in the first day. The day after that, they are a little more vulnerable, but at this time, the enemy is usually too hurt to do anything about it.

A team of red mage and white mage can kill a slayer, but it's just a testament to the slayer's power when it takes 2 units to kill it. After all, humans can't make deathblades, and if they could, they still have a hard time getting hits in.

This all is why slayers don't get a 3rd form. They're powerful enough as it is. They're basically the orc's lancer, an uber 2nd level unit that can kill level 3's with ease, given the right situation.
Elvish_Pillager

Higher Game wrote:and they almost always get at least 1 hit back, often 2.
Are you attacking from low defense terrain? :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Higher Game wrote:
Sombra wrote:16% chance that the deatblade misses all hits.

Yes, you can throw statistics at me, but in the real game, I see it happen all the time
So, what does that mean? That the game uses different statistics than in theory? Or simply that your perception of how things go is biased?
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Nope, because it doesn't have a ranged attack.

I would say the Elvish Fighter (and the rest of the line) is the hardest to counter. Which isn't to say that they are all powerful (they are weak in many respects), but just that there isn't any obvious counter for them.

1. They have a melee and a ranged attack, so you can't counter them by recruiting a unit that specializes in either.

2. They have two types of damage, and one of them (blade) doesn't have many units with high resistance.

3. Their weapons both have a relatively high number of attacks (4 and 3), so they have a fairly good chance of hitting elusivefoot units.

4. They don't have any real vulnerabilities to any damage types.

5. They are small enough that they usually need to be attacked by a unit with a fair number of attacks, especially in forest.

6. They are cheap enough that they can't be spammed.
Elvish_Pillager

Glowing Fish wrote:Nope, because it doesn't have a ranged attack.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's weak to any particular unit. Usually, it can just bash ranged attackers in melee - they have lower retaliation to make up for their ranged damage.
Glowing Fish wrote:I would say the Elvish Fighter (and the rest of the line) is the hardest to counter.
Skeleton. Skeleton Archer.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Glowing Fish wrote:I would say the Elvish Fighter (and the rest of the line) is the hardest to counter.
Skeleton. Skeleton Archer.[/quote]

Well, I just said "hardest to counter". Skeleton and Skeleton Archers are the best counter for them. But I would still say the Elvish Fighter is harder to counter than, say, the Spearman, the Orcish Grunt, the the Skeleton or the Dwarvish Fighter.