Home of the North Elves

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rothrorn

Home of the North Elves

Post by Rothrorn »

What are your prefered strategies for winning this scenario? I find that when I try to follow Delfadors advice ie not engage the enemy and get to the forest asap I find it very difficult. The only way I could do it was by using a load of scouts as cannon fodder to distract the orcs and wesnoth army - not very heroic.

However when I assmble a large force and assault the orc stronghold directly it falls relatively easily and by the time I have killed the orc chief, the elves have usually killed the wesnoth leader. This method also earns you loads of gold since you get a big bonus for finishing early.

So, is Delfadors advice meant to be bad? :wink:
Rothrorn the Wise
mbabuskov

Post by mbabuskov »

I also tried to listen to D. advice and lost the game. Then I just did what you did, attacked the nothern leader went straight to east. Later I joined elven forces and defeated the southern leader (even too easy). All this @medium difficulty.

Perhaps the southern leader could be stronger / have bigger income per turn, so he can recruit more units.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The advise was from the messages before the map was changed, and presumably was good advise then. Now, however, it is bad advise, but for some reason no one changed it... :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

I played it on the original (0.7, 0.7.3) map, and I thought it was an easy scenario: I smashed the orc lord on round 13-14, got Konrad into the woods on round 19 or so, and then spent the next 11 turns bored out of my skull. If I'd been a bit more aggressive, I probably could have destroyed the loyalists.

Things this scenario needs:
* less elves, so that the loyalists don't get stomped
* thicker mountains to the north, west, and south of the orc stronghold, so that the rebels have to divert south and tangle with both the loyalists and the orcs and can't just smash the orcs out of hand.
* orc guardians around the main orc camp to deter "griffin and great mage" sneak strategies
* a triggered event that releases a loyalist group between the heroes and the forest after they make it past the orc stronghold
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think several powerful guard units (ala ford of Abez) on each side would probably do it. by which I mean force the player to take D's advice...
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Yes, but you don't want to make it too difficult - if you make it harder to take on the orcs straight away it should be easier to get past them in one piece.

Alternatively as Turin says, change the advice so that Delfador doesn't sound like an idiot :?
Rothrorn the Wise