Newbie Help: Southgate

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Seamus

Newbie Help: Southgate

Post by Seamus »

I can't get past the 2nd level (proven by the Sword). I can take the keep, but get picked apart by waves of footpads (or whatever). By turn 20 or so, I'm basically decimated. What am I doing wrong?

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Footpads are elusive, but weak. In the water, they are not elusive, and weak. Have you tried using your Mermen to chase them down in the water?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Glowing Fish wrote:Footpads are elusive, but weak. In the water, they are not elusive, and weak. Have you tried using your Mermen to chase them down in the water?
AFAIK whether you get mermen or not depends on whether you capture the water village in the first scenario, so that doesn't work if he didn't do that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, at least if you're playing on the easiest difficulty (which you should start on) you should IMHO be fine by just following the basic tactics - use the time of day to your advantage, stay on good terrain and make them fight from bad terrain, try to minimize the damage you take, etc.

aelius

Post by aelius »

Also, use ranged attacks against skeletons. Careful use of your newfound white mage will decimate the undead as well.

Time of day is hugely important.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)