Test of the Clans

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Integral

Post by Integral »

Division 619 wrote:Its a pretty cool strategy though, if a bit chancy. Ever since I got a silver mage I wanted to use him to do something like this.
Historical note: it used to be that Arch and Great mages had teleport, so the strategy on many levels became:

- Recall Great Mages and some fighting units
- Recall or recruit gryphons
- Wait for the enemy's troops to leave his base
- Send a gryphon to pick up a nearby village
- Execute the leader with the aforementioned Great Mages

For some reason :roll:, this approach was considered to be too cheap, so teleport was removed from the Arch Mage line and given to a new line with a wimpier attack, the idea being that you can no longer kill enemy leaders in one turn with a single mage teleported from your base.

Daniel
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

mlangsdorf wrote:The scenario difficulty could be enhanced - in a good, reasonable way - if some of Bayur's troops were a bit smarter. I had a roving strike force of 3 paladins, a knight, 2 horsemen, Kalenz, and Li'Sar moving toward his castle, and as long as I stayed more than 1 turn's movement away from his forces, they would innocently stream past me and charge Konrad (where they ran into the Dwarf Lord/Delafador ambush).

It'd help a bunch if Bayur had 2-3 permanent guards around his castle. A couple of knights and master bowman arranged 3 hexes out would be good. That plus his recruitment would make the final rush (to take a nearby village and teleport in the mages) much more dangerous and costly.
I beat it because of Bayar's stupid AI too.

Suggestion: modify Bayar's side's ai:
protect_leader=5.0

Or something like that, so that the AI cares more about defending its leader than futilely attacking Konrad.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Mortsubite

Rename "Clans" to "Little Big Horn"

Post by Mortsubite »

I just got stomped like a narc at a biker rally. 6 Paladins, 1 Great Mage, 1 Arch Mage, 1 Mage of Light, 1 Silver Mage, 3 Lv2 birdies, and a bunch of Lv3 elves- all cut to ribbons. I guess I'll try it again....
"Imagine waking up in the morning and realizing that's as good as you're going to feel all day" - Dean Martin on sobriety.