Liche in South Guard

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

aelius wrote:
zookeeper wrote:About TSG, I have only two words: BAD CAMPAIGN. Sorry, but IMO you'd be better off playing something else.
I'm curious as to whether the bad campaign thought applies to just Into the Depths (which I'd agree with and am trying to fix) or the whole campaign? If the whole campaign, I'm curious as to what specifically you dislike.
Ok, I overreacted a bit, sorry. :P But still, if there's even one scenario that completely sucks and/or is buggy enough, I'll be inclined to label the campaign as a bad one.

Most of my problems were with Into the Depths, but they were pretty numerous: the ice thing was very bad, not paying the trolls seemed like an impossible path that no one should ever take (so why include the option?), when allied with the trolls one troll and one ghost fighting blocked the northeast path to the lich entirely (a troll and a ghost can fight pretty much for the whole scenario without either one of them dying), killing the lich thus required to attack just from the blown-up hole and was very luck-dependant (the lich's attack is just too powerful to be fun). Also, heroes were apparently stored/unstored in a too careless and simple way, causing them to occasionally start scenarios with less than maximum hitpoints (the amount they had at the end of some previous scenario, I suppose). Tidings Good and Ill seemed rather luck-dependent: you can have very few units, so a single stretch of bad luck could ruin the scenario. There were apparently some scripted enemies spawning from nowhere, which could ruin the scenario for you if they for example happened to ambush your leader without warning (I don't know/remember in what scenario(s) that was, though). No mention that Deoran can gain useful AMLA's, so there's no reason for the player to try to AMLA him since he doesn't know.

The beginning scenarios, I suppose, were pretty decent, so no, not everything in the campaign is bad. :)
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Would be nice to get some solution to those problems along with the fact that units may appear with less then max HP in a new level. That one hurt me pretty bad in the level where I've got only the Elf warrior and a couple of friends. Most units were damaged making the level pretty hard.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

torangan wrote:Would be nice to get some solution to those problems along with the fact that units may appear with less then max HP in a new level. That one hurt me pretty bad in the level where I've got only the Elf warrior and a couple of friends. Most units were damaged making the level pretty hard.
I found that fun, actually: it seemed to convey the immediatness of the next scenarios-->no time to heal/lick wounds.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Thrawn wrote:
torangan wrote:Would be nice to get some solution to those problems along with the fact that units may appear with less then max HP in a new level. That one hurt me pretty bad in the level where I've got only the Elf warrior and a couple of friends. Most units were damaged making the level pretty hard.
I found that fun, actually: it seemed to convey the immediatness of the next scenarios-->no time to heal/lick wounds.
Let me guess: it was fun because you didn't have to start with really low hitpoints?
unsung

Post by unsung »

uhhh..... I don't understand all this talk about it being impossible without the elves- I sisded with the bandits, just because I don't like any elves, at all. and for impact attacks. I had no problem beating the rest of the campaign.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

In any case, the difficulty of a campaign shouldn't, IMHO, be the basis for judging it's worth... if one of the branches is easier than the other, so what? It's only a big deal if there is a truly impossible scenario. And before you say its impossible - look at what difficulty level you're on.

I suspect the problem is more that the level is boring. This can be a problem. Unfortunately, boredom of some sort is IMHO inevitable in any campaign you play.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm