Two questions re: TRoW-Midlands

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JimW

Two questions re: TRoW-Midlands

Post by JimW »

First-off, I am not a very excellent player, which is why I only play against the AI. Midlands seems very difficult. I note that some people speak of starting Midlands with 500+ gold, as well as four or five upper level characters. I barely have anyone, save for a Longbowman.

Is this possibly the reason why I find it so hard?

Second question, I've finally found out how to put in some of the zipped replays. Is there a way to make them play out by themselves? The one I've tried simply starts up as though I'm supposed to play the game, which would most likely only result in me getting someone else's bunch of units slaughtered :)

Thanks,

JimW
scott

Post by scott »

You have to check the "replay" box when loading up the game. If that doesn't work, there is likely a compatibility issue. For some reason saved games and replays are not the most stable things to get working.

Are you playing on NORMAL difficulty?

Midlands is hard. It's a blood bath with enemies everywhere. It's very easy for things to get out of control because the battle front is so long and enemies come in from all sides.

That said, it's very straightforward to play. You just have to recruit as many units as you can. With 450 gold you can get up to 20-30 L1 units, which is what I would be comfortable with.

I would send 15 west and 15 south, or if you can't afford that many, send your main force west and a smaller force south to hold off the bridge. Eventually enemies are going to start pouring over the western bridge, and that's usually when chaos erupts. You'll need to really do a good job of not losing units, rotating them out when wounded, and leveling them up.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
podunk

Post by podunk »

First off, at the start no one is an excellent player. There's a lot of info to integrate, and this isn't a pool of blood body parts scattered around game. :-)

People make fun of the AI saying it's stupid – but actually it's pretty good. It has different priority than you do. It's sort of like the Army of the Potomac vs The Army of North Virgina. The army of the Potomac can afford to lose every battle as long as it wears down your resources to the point you cant fight any more.

You hit on one of your big problems, lack of level 2's. Generally one of my first priority's is to advance a mage to White so I can get some healing and curing on the run. It's a lot easier to advance breathing units. Pay attention to a units traits. When you have a mage who is quick and intelligent they make very good healers. Intelligent mages advance 25% quicker than a normal mage and quick lets it keep up with your army and you can heal units on the run instead of being scattered all over the place in villages.

A second priority is to advance your leader (and what's wrong with this guy anyway? He's got one hell of a facial tick there...)so you can get the leadership bonus. When he's level 2 he gives one heck of a bonus to your level 1 units. Put him next to a level 1 and they do extra damage. Slide him down the line as you fight. Healing + leadership will advance your units much quicker

Your gold problem will be helped greatly by taking care of and recalling loyal units. For instance I sacrificed 2 horsemen to save the loyal infantry in the first scene. While they're slow, when they advance they do just tons of damage.

A level 2 unit over 20 turns costs 40 gold plus the 20 to recall. A loyal level 2 unit over 20 tuns costs 20. So 4 loyal units is 160 in the bank every scene.

What version are you playing? If it's 1.0.2 (stable) it's biased towards the AI in resources. I'd suggest you download the development version (1.1.8 or 1.1.9) and have a go with that one. The 1.1 brranch is as stable as the 1.0 one, and it's more fun to boot. :-)
JimW

Post by JimW »

podunk wrote:First off, at the start no one is an excellent player. There's a lot of info to integrate, and this isn't a pool of blood body parts scattered around game. :-)

People make fun of the AI saying it's stupid – but actually it's pretty good. It has different priority than you do. It's sort of like the Army of the Potomac vs The Army of North Virgina. The army of the Potomac can afford to lose every battle as long as it wears down your resources to the point you cant fight any more.

You hit on one of your big problems, lack of level 2's. Generally one of my first priority's is to advance a mage to White so I can get some healing and curing on the run. It's a lot easier to advance breathing units. Pay attention to a units traits. When you have a mage who is quick and intelligent they make very good healers. Intelligent mages advance 25% quicker than a normal mage and quick lets it keep up with your army and you can heal units on the run instead of being scattered all over the place in villages.

A second priority is to advance your leader (and what's wrong with this guy anyway? He's got one hell of a facial tick there...)so you can get the leadership bonus. When he's level 2 he gives one heck of a bonus to your level 1 units. Put him next to a level 1 and they do extra damage. Slide him down the line as you fight. Healing + leadership will advance your units much quicker

Your gold problem will be helped greatly by taking care of and recalling loyal units. For instance I sacrificed 2 horsemen to save the loyal infantry in the first scene. While they're slow, when they advance they do just tons of damage.

A level 2 unit over 20 turns costs 40 gold plus the 20 to recall. A loyal level 2 unit over 20 tuns costs 20. So 4 loyal units is 160 in the bank every scene.

What version are you playing? If it's 1.0.2 (stable) it's biased towards the AI in resources. I'd suggest you download the development version (1.1.8 or 1.1.9) and have a go with that one. The 1.1 brranch is as stable as the 1.0 one, and it's more fun to boot. :-)
Okay, I'm answering everyone at once. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

One of the reasons for my late reply is that I've gone back to the beginning of the campaign, since that seems to be the only way I can actually build up things, like units, gold, etc. (other than hacking the game, and even if I felt competent to do that, I'd always know I'd cheated to get there.)

I'm playing on Easy, after trying the first scenario several times on medium and finding it near impossible to work against the speeded up clock (28 turns as opposed to 31) and the mobility of the Wesfolk, who can hold a central position and zip back and forth across hills and forest to concentrate on either the "northern" front or the "Western" front.

Just got through winning that one, though I haven't got any advanced units, just several that are up to be advanced shortly.

I've also gotten a little better at not just attacking because someone is there, and pulling my battered units back to the hospital before they get killed.

I'll have to get that Prince out there and into the action, just to get him a bit more advanced; never been able to do that properly without getting him killed next turn (and without him back at the keep, I can't recruit anybody),

I'm playing version 1.02, because that's the one I get from Ubuntu's apt-get, and while I could possibly get some other version, I'm not confident enough of the kind of things I'd have to do to get it installed.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice and, as I said, I'm going back to the beginning in the hopes that I can manage to hit Midlands with a bunch of Upper levels to recall, and a lot of gold to do it with.

JimW
pqueiro

Post by pqueiro »

It's really a matter of experience. At first I had a lot of trouble with levelling up units too, now I almost reflexively play my turns with a view to maximize advancement. You'll eventually figure out which units are worth levelling first, which traits you want for them and how to position your army to make it happen.

Then you'll learn the joys of missing 12 attacks in a row, leaving that level two enemy unit with 2 hp which will attack the following turn and die at the hands of some unit you didn't want to level :P
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

pqueiro wrote:Then you'll learn the joys of missing 12 attacks in a row, leaving that level two enemy unit with 2 hp which will attack the following turn and die at the hands of some unit you didn't want to level :P
...if you're lucky! Usually the enemy would just kill your most precious just-about-to-level unit. :)