Undead, strongest combatant in the game?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jaywalker

Undead, strongest combatant in the game?

Post by jaywalker »

Hi ,everyone I am about a week new for multiplayer, from what I know about Wesnoth is that Undead is generally the toughest faction in the game, they abuse the "cold" attack, and they are like semi-immune to all physical attacks(blade, impact, pierce), and to me it seems a good undead player simply eats northerners in small maps, orcish archers are simply inferior than skeleton archers!

Recently I play as dwarfs more often, as I think their gryphons are best uilitly scout unit in the game(they are flier plus they do 13x2 dmg or some like that), but in a map size of the 2pBlitz it is much harder to util the gryphons, plus I figured once ghosts advance to wraiths they are just pure pwnage to the dwarfs(in one game I had 3 dwarf fighters standing on mountains ganging upon this wraith but it just sucks my blood back to regain to almost full health).

So I am not sure if it's just me or is a packed undead "horde" always atleast one step ahead of its non-undead opponent by meaning of fighting capability. Share your opinions if you will, thanks.
who am i, you sure you want to know? i am another noob who thinks he play wesnoth long enough to modify the game
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Of COURSE undead pwn. :D

Finally a newbie who thinks so too! The house of cards is complete!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Free

Post by Free »

Yes undead kill.
JW

Re: Undead, strongest combatant in the game?

Post by JW »

jaywalker wrote:orcish archers are simply inferior than skeleton archers!
Skeleton Archers, however, are simply inferior to Troll Whelps. :wink:
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Well, this is first, usually we hear undead suck. If your having problems with undead, go for impact, fire, and magical attacks. Oh wait your playing dwarves. Well, your best offence is a good defence with them.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, fighters smash undead with hammers...that's the main thing. Knalgnas don't have any fire though, which may make it harder. (Flamethrower advancement from Thunderer, anyone?)
Jew unit

Re: Undead, strongest combatant in the game?

Post by Jew unit »

jaywalker wrote:, plus I figured once ghosts advance to wraiths they are just pure pwnage to the dwarfs(in one game I had 3 dwarf fighters standing on mountains ganging upon this wraith but it just sucks my blood back to regain to almost full health).
fighters simply cant take wriaths... thunders and trappers on the other hand...
Last edited by Jew unit on August 18th, 2006, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2^x-1 mod x
JW

Post by JW »

Footpads/Thunderers/Poachers on Ghosts. Don't let them level.

Oh, also Backstabbing Ghosts is cool at night. 8)
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

However, backstabbing Shadows are not cool at night, especially when they appear right next to your leader. (This happened to me once.)
hey.
jaywalker

Post by jaywalker »

lol... flamethrower sound like awesome idea

but ya... i didn't bother mess around with thunderer or poacher too much(yet), i thought DT have better tradeoffs than thunderers when fighting undead, 8x3 impact and prolly more HP? hmm... but thunderes have 18x1 ranged retaliation so i dunno... :? personally i thought poachers are inferior(lol i used this word alot) than thunderers, i prolly only use them against elves in the woods, but i dunno if i was wrong :cry:

LOL backstabbers! i love them... i also tried mass backstabbers but it didn't work out too well at all... but i figured one thief per battlefront is almost always a nice add(watch out ghost, u dont know who's the haunted one during night~)

Recently i trying to develop this strategy which i would buy 3(maybe 4) gryphons and the rest just whatever that can make the battle last as long as i can(by both recruit means and formation means, never attack from bad terrain, retreat at times favour the enemy, etc)... then have enemy advance toward my base, by then i would have my gryphons fly straight back to enemy back and start rubbing their villages, mean while my main army(the one fighting enemy near my base) would have a tough time for the first 2 rounds or so, but then since the battleground is so much closer to my base, i'd let the new recruit(sometimes even my leader) help out the battle while packed gryphons to "intimidate" enemy reinforcements... well, that's it... i think last time i did this i lost the game 'cuz i didn't plan what to do next lmao.... :shock: LOL sorry if you feel time wasted for reading my unfinished story, but hey just trying to share experince :p
who am i, you sure you want to know? i am another noob who thinks he play wesnoth long enough to modify the game
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

/me wonders why noone mentioned ulfserker....
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
jaywalker

Post by jaywalker »

ya... actually ulfs might just be the best thing to kill a ghost
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Unless the ulf is in a mountain, and even then, I would say hell no to fighting ghosts with them
JW

Post by JW »

Dragonking wrote:/me wonders why noone mentioned ulfserker....
:oops: oops :oops:
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Undead are a weird faction. They're really weak at first, but they get some really nice upgrades. They're probably best on large maps, where they can establish a big army more easily. Their upgraded units are better than any other factions, it seems, since many of them have life drain.