Elf War: The Capital

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kirdan

Elf War: The Capital

Post by Kirdan »

Hi,
I'm playing the "Elf War" campaign and it seems ok. The first 4 scenarios were rather easy. However... Now I'm at the capital and you loose when the dwarf leader "Riko" is killed (who you don't control) and this maniac dwarf is running around seeking all kinds of trouble without regard for his decreasing HP.

I think I'm out of ideas of how to protect him. The turn order is: You move, Riko moves, the enemy moves. Which means there's absolutely no way to act as shield for his suicide raids.

Have anyone else played that scenario? Is the designer listening?
Elvish Orc Slayer

Post by Elvish Orc Slayer »

:oops: i hate to admit it but i saw the level and gave up. ill post back if i beat it
De Cock Hans

Post by De Cock Hans »

Hello,

I don't know on which level your playing but on easy and medium it should be easy to beat the level.

The basic of your strategy should be to level as much dwarves as you can (a few thunders would be great) an at least 1 level 3 healer for each side.

With this army you can then attack the nearest enemey. Do not use to much elves they are only good as healers/leaders in most of the scenarios.

Hope this helps
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

I play medium/standard/normal (can't remember the name).

And what you describe is pretty much what I've done. I have 6 steelclads (one nearly lord), a few thunderguards and 1.5 shyde. + div lvl2 elves and a few nearly lvld lvl1 dwarfs. I could easily take down the entire Orch nation, but that doesn't help you much if Riko insists on get killed.

I can do zero to protect him. He's as fast as my fastest unit and he moves right after me, ruining every plan I set up to hold him out of the fight. He's bound to get hit by a Troll once in a while and you can't heal him, since he moves away from your healer immediately after you move it close to him.
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

ok... now I actually did finish (in turn 23). But at heavy costs. It seems one way is to simply be overly aggressive, ensuring that there's never a fresh enymy unit near Riko and that you always have a unit of your own that's a more appealing kill to the enemy than Riko. They'll not hit on Riko, if you have a more wounded unit they can reach. ... stupid Dwarf :(
De Cock Hans

Post by De Cock Hans »

It is for me strange that you have so much problems with it. It is the only campaign I have ever finnished on hard. (Except South gard but that doesn't really count) Even on hard I can play it with only losing 2 or 3 dwarves on each side.

I found the campaign so intresting that I maintain it now because the original author has dissapeared. If I get more complaints I can perhaps change the starting location. But it will take a time because I have just moved and I have still a lot of work on the house .... (Disto if you read it a changed version of A Seed Of Evil will come one day but real live sucks ...) (Especially when your maried and have kids a should be working on a house and still want to play Wesnoth and maintain campaigns)
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

How could changing starting locations make the scenario different? The problem is not my troops. The problem is the lose gun allied Dwarf leader "Riko" who seem to totally ignore that he's low on HP and keep seeking out trouble. Once in a while a troll hit him and after 4-5 of those hits he's dead => You loose.

What you need to do to win the scenario is to avoid that Riko can reach a troll which doesn't have anything better to do than attack him. That a rather hard task.

Isn't there a way to let Riko seek your healers before he gets in danger of getting killed by a troll?
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

I meant the start position of Riko, if he starts closer to the place where the red side starts it should be easier to follow him.

But I find it still strange you have somemuch problems with it. If it was in the previous scenario (To the capital) it would be much more logical because there he does the same but he has less favourable terrain.

When I have time I shall try again and maybe post a replay if your interested. I need to play Elf War anyhow to see if it still works with the new Wesnoth version. (Latest tested version is 1.1.2)

P.S. : If your confused, I am De [censored] Hans but I just changed internet provider and I do not understand it well but I had to create a new user to log in.
Maintainer Elf War
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

KRCM wrote:I meant the start position of Riko, if he starts closer to the place where the red side starts it should be easier to follow him.
He already starts right next to the keep.
But I find it still strange you have somemuch problems with it. If it was in the previous scenario (To the capital) it would be much more logical because there he does the same but he has less favourable terrain.
Yeah... He does. But there's not so many enemy units in that scenario and not so much space to run off into. He basicly has to stay at "the front". I didn't have any problems with that scenario.

I play the Ubuntu Dapper version which claims to be 1.0.2.
Elvish Orc Slayer

Post by Elvish Orc Slayer »

i played easy and here is what i did.

send a force from red to the white/gray color camp. send blue's force to the orcish slayer camp. then send a sizable force of blue to the Troll. this force should be enough to hold back the trolls units with the aid of the dwarf allies.

Riko goes after the white camp so send high level/many units there with him asap to start smashing the enemies. remember to take out all camps before going after the troll. if you go for the troll in the first place two things may happen.

1: white and/or orcish slayer camp units will smash through you.

2: Riko will go on his usual suicide run.

i finished off white base and Riko only had 1 hp and went madly after the troll general. i was lucky to send my blue force before him and take out the troll before he got there.

hope that helps!

The Elvish Orc Slayer
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

I have just played it on medium on Wesboth 1.1.5.

Sent red force to the white camp and the blue force to the assasin.

Send a small ref elf force in general Trolls direction. Finished in turn 14.

The red force sent to white :
4 steelclads
2 level 2 thunderers
a druid and a level 3 druid.

The Blue force was much weaker but more numerous.

I would attached a replay but I can not find a zip on my PC (Windows XP)

Hope this helps.
Maintainer Elf War
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

Hmm... weird.
It's not that I'm weaker in units.
Normally Riko immediatley wanders off towards NE (white?). If I'm lucky I can keep him from damage up there. But in my recent game, white started to requit a lot of lvl1 assassins, which Riko appearently didn't like (wise, since if you get him poisoned, you have already lost I guess).
So he suddenly abbandoned my units and ran back to the city where he met up with 3 Trolls which killed him. (lukcy trolls, but still)

It seems pure luck if you can avoid loosing by Riko getting killed.
Kirdan

I give up...

Post by Kirdan »

I give up...

The only way I've found to beat this scenario is to make sure you always have a unit which is an easier taget for the orchs than Riko. As soon as he is hit be a troll he becomes more attractive for other trolls to kill.
This will let you win, but will ruin your army.

No fun...