How to play Drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Noyga wrote:There is a balancing freeze in the 1.2 branch, and 1.1.8 is the first 1.2 beta, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Is a a balance "freeze" a good thing? Meaning your done working on balance, or it is balanced? Or both.
JW

Post by JW »

Sorrow wrote:
Noyga wrote:There is a balancing freeze in the 1.2 branch, and 1.1.8 is the first 1.2 beta, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Is a a balance "freeze" a good thing? Meaning your done working on balance, or it is balanced? Or both.
Hopefully this discussion will be split by a mod, but a balance freeze means that stats won't change so all the stable versions of BFW will be compatible. Stats are modified in the dev branch, if deemed necessary. That is what the 1.1.x branch has done.

Also, I meant when the Beta releases of the EOM get out. :) (Right now they're in Alpha.)
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Also, you havnt added drakes vs rebels to the links yet although its here.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Noy wrote:
5dPZ wrote:it would be interesting to see a guide how drake can beat Loyal, cuz i have never lost yet, against drakes using loyal :P

Edit: well, i have yet to see any drake player beat a pro player using any other races on a regular 1 on 1 map. Drakes are just way too weak (at least as in 1.0.2).
ughhh... where do I start?
I would recommend a corner (preferrably along with a landscape or a tv), with a drink followed by a nap.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I suck as drakes, but I can help with other ones...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
invalid

drakes vs. northerners

Post by invalid »

Drakes v. Northerners
This matchup can be rather interesting. The main think you generally worry about is the cheap northerner units and the expensive drake units. Drakes have much better units but unfortunately they are expensive. Usually when I lose vs. Northerners it is because of the sheer number of units they are capable of sending.

Drake Burner:
A very useful unit during the day and even effective at night vs fighters and whelps and wolf riders due to their lack of ranged defense. And with at least 7-2 melee, they have the ability to defend their melee attacks. Be very careful with the number of burners you recruit though because they are rather expensive and you need to be able to defend against the shear number of units northerners are able to send.

Drake Clasher:
I prefer the drake clasher over the drake fighter in most cases and especially when playing against northerners. The clasher is best to defeat those pesky and annoying assassins. Even though they cannot defend ranged attacks, their 6-4 pierce attack will definately hurt an assasin as the assassin has -20% to pierce. Clashers have high amounts of HP and can are very effective in fighting northerners, even though it will normally be melee against melee much of the time.

Drake Glider:
Personally, I use maybe one or two gliders in the original recruiting to get to villages quickly. I usually use them afterwords as a quick unit that can run around and aid in damage in order to kill and level other units. I'll also use them for gaining info on recruits. Perhaps i'll use one to capture an enemy village in hopes to distract an area that i feel i may be losing dominance in.

Drake Fighter:
I try to stay away from fighters but if you need a unit and can't wait for an extra turn, fighters are good to recruit because they are quicker then clashers and have at least minor defense with their ranged attack, and occasionally offense when you just need to deal that little bit of extra damage to make the kill and can't afford to risk with your melee attack.

Saurian Augr:
These units are pretty effective and very useful but do not keep them in the front of the battle. Use them behind other units to heal and to finish off with magical attacks. These units are easy to level and very effective with 8-3 magical and heal. Be careful with saurians because they do not have large amounts of hp
Saurian Skirmisher:
Because of their small amount of HP I try to refrain from using skirmishers however they can be helpfull at times. I generally get a couple in battle and attempt to level them. They are pretty effective level 2 units.

Your first depend highly on the map, exp percentage, gpv. As a general rule of thumb I try to get all villages on the 3rd turn and then recruit depending on the units i see from my oppenent.

Drakes are a tough race to play effectively and i don't see many people that play them online. Also, i'm still in the learning phase of my mastery of drakes but i have been doing pretty well with them. They are definately a fun unit to play. If you have suggestions or ammendments, feel free to post them...
krazykarl

Drakes

Post by krazykarl »

One thing that drake fighters are good for is flying over water and swamps. (saurians are good for swamps too) This is one of the best advantages for drakes if you use it right. Also, drake fighters are a lot stronger then gliders and therefore are excellent for scouting or capturing villages.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
The best faction is the one that YOU are most comfortable with. If you are good with your faction then you can beat anyone.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Drakes

Post by Thrawn »

krazykarl wrote:One thing that drake fighters are good for is flying over water and swamps. (saurians are good for swamps too) This is one of the best advantages for drakes if you use it right. Also, drake fighters are a lot stronger then gliders and therefore are excellent for scouting or capturing villages.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
nice sig!! welcome to the forums
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

Perhaps I'm a n00b but on a small map I can't beat those damn loyalist wtih drakes... even with the fifty post about it invariousdiffrent threads
2^x-1 mod x
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Jew unit wrote:Perhaps I'm a n00b but on a small map I can't beat those damn loyalist wtih drakes... even with the fifty post about it invariousdiffrent threads
It'd be most productive to note a specific map. Do that, and we'll try to give you some advice.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yup, and give some replays too, I'm sure some good players around here could "analyze" them and give you a few tips.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
JW

Post by JW »

Drakes v. Drakes
This is possibly the deadliest mirror match in the game. Saurians have low hp, but deal good damage to their Drake counterparts. You'll want a good mix of both units as you'll likely be fighting at all times of the day.

Drake Burner: Generally bad recruit in this matchup. Burners cannot do significant damage to other Drakes, though they do get free shots on Clashers. They can also torch any Saurians found on bad terrain, which is unlikely, though this is probably their greatest use.

Drake Clasher: This unit should be the majority of your forces. Dealing heavy Pierce damage and having the most hp out of any recruit (as well as not having a negative Pierce resistance), makes him the beast of burden in this matchup. Hope that yours get the Strong and Resiliant traits and his get the Quick and Intelligent traits. He will beat Fighters and Burners 1v1, and the only units he needs to fear are Augrs and other Clashers, and Skirmishers at night.

Drake Glider: As like the Burner, this unit is just a poor recruit. It has no upside other than the inconsequential Marksman on his breath attack. Do not recruit them unless the map is huge.

Drake Fighter: Not the best recruit, but he can be handy if the map makes Clashers slow. They can also tear Augrs to pieces, so if Augrs become a problem a few of these are an alright recruit. Also good as a replacement for the Glider for village grabbing, especially if Quick.

Saurian Augr: An essential unit. Their Cold magic deals 9-3 damage to Drakes at night, ripping them to pieces. Their healing will also be essential if used properly, as this is a bloody fight. Be careful not to over-recruit these guys, as they are quite weak in defense against any unit.

Saurian Skirmisher: These guys are also a good force to have, but again, not too many. Your Pierce damage should mainly come from your Clashers, but a couple of Skirmishers to attack opposing Augrs as well as Drakes at night can prove very valuable, especially with their high defence. Their ability to get behind the enemy lines gives you more hexes to attack the enemy from.

On the first turn you'll want several Clashers, a couple Saurians, and possibly a Fighter or Glider to grab villages. Village distribution will determine if you need a Glider or not, as well as map size.

At night, use your Augrs on the opposing Clashers first, using your Clashers and Skirmishers to finish up. Make sure to protect your Augrs though, as they die easily, even at night. Killing a Clasher will remove a major threat come daytime, as well as net you 19g. If you must trade a Skirmisher to kill a Clasher at night, it can often be worth it.

At day you'll want to attack first with your Augrs again. Their Cold magic will do 6-3 in daytime to Drakes, which is still quite powerful. Follow up with your now incredibly deadly Clashers: Strong Clashers in day will deal 10-4 to any non-Clasher Drake.

Genreally, this is the danger level of your enemy units: Clasher, Augr, Skirmisher, Fighter, Burner, Glider. You may choose to either target the deadliest units first (Clashers being easy targets for Augrs), or go for the weaker units first to give yourself a monetary advantage quickly, while receiving little retaliation damage. Either strategy can work, and levelling an Augr can prove exceptionally deadly to your opponent. Intelligent Augrs level within 2 kills. Whichever strategy you use, be sure to kill, and not just hurt your opponent, because your opponent will flee and have the unit return to fight again.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I found that when playing drakes vs. northerners, it helps to recruit a skirmisher or two every few turns and put them in front at night.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Hello JW

In Drake x Undead, I think you underestimated the power of the Glider.

They are (relatively) cheap, can melee Dark Adepts and its fire attack is superior to the Fighter because of marksmanship. They are somehow efficient ghost killer since they ignore the ghost natural evasion and fire is fire.

I don't like using Saurians, they have too little HP. A single DA can kill a Saurian if both shots connect. On a situation in which you infiltrate the enemy lines to kill a DA, you will probably lost it next turn and he may not even kill the DA. Any UD troop can kill a Saurian, but he can kill only DA effectively.

I'd be tempted to use the Fighter... but they cost more and aren't that good versus non-DA. They can run away good but the Glider can run away better.

I'd like to suggest you to try to make a Drake Glider force and see the results.

Playing with Gliders, you fly in swarms and attack one target at time. A DA, A Ghost, a Skeleton.. whatever is alone, is your prey. The advantage of the Glider is he can actually kill Ghosts and Skeletons in villages with efficiency, and since you have 8 movement, you can strike anywhere.

It's a different game then most, but it works.

Point by point, they are your best bet.
Croc Paterson

Post by Croc Paterson »

Beholder wrote:Hello JW

In Drake x Undead, I think you underestimated the power of the Glider.

They are (relatively) cheap, can melee Dark Adepts and its fire attack is superior to the Fighter because of marksmanship. They are somehow efficient ghost killer since they ignore the ghost natural evasion and fire is fire.

I don't like using Saurians, they have too little HP. A single DA can kill a Saurian if both shots connect. On a situation in which you infiltrate the enemy lines to kill a DA, you will probably lost it next turn and he may not even kill the DA. Any UD troop can kill a Saurian, but he can kill only DA effectively.

I'd be tempted to use the Fighter... but they cost more and aren't that good versus non-DA. They can run away good but the Glider can run away better.

I'd like to suggest you to try to make a Drake Glider force and see the results.

Playing with Gliders, you fly in swarms and attack one target at time. A DA, A Ghost, a Skeleton.. whatever is alone, is your prey. The advantage of the Glider is he can actually kill Ghosts and Skeletons in villages with efficiency, and since you have 8 movement, you can strike anywhere.

It's a different game then most, but it works.

Point by point, they are your best bet.
Good God.

Let's see a replay.
"Your face is overpowered." - Neoriceisgood