Phantoms: new units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The non-split owls are nice, I the way they hold the crossbows and their capes are especially good. They are fast becoming my favorite.
For some reason the dwarf looks fuzzy, don't know why. The idea behind is is good though!

Same unexplained fuzziness with the aristocrat's head.

I really like the mounted unit. Although when I look closely I noticed something wierd with the rider's leg. The rider is sitting either on the back or the neck of his mount.* If he is sitting on the neck, both of his legs should be visable. If he is sitting on the back then the visible leg should be behind the creatures shoulder. Do you see what I mean?

*What is that thing he's riding? Whatever it is, It looks bloody good.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Zhukov wrote: *What is that thing he's riding? Whatever it is, It looks bloody good.
That was experiment. I made lots of dark golems varying in sizes and shapes. When I was browsing Games Workshop pages, I stumbled upon Mumakils and decided that one of "cieniołazy" (I need a good name) can be a mount. At this point I'm considering putting a two dark pixies on the mount, one with some long piercing weapon and one with bow. I have it! Mounts will carry palankil.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

The one with the white hair and red cape reminds me of Inu Yasha :?
Or is this what you intended?
Alks

Post by Alks »

Who is Inu Yasha? (never mind, I'll google it myself). However, no resemblance intended. When I'll google it I'll decide whether they are too similar and change the unit.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

nice, You have improved enough that I feel only three things need to be adressed. 1) now that we know the crossbowman is female, make the breastplates less squarish and more round. 2) the change in crossbow angles looks more natural, but I think it would look better if the crossbows were leaning out instead of in. Unless they are resting on her shoulders. and 3) That red cloak on the third one look kinda wierd. I will say that they dont look too dark, they actually would look really cool at night. the dwarf is neat, yet i think he looks too "military-ish" but whatever :P .
Alks

Post by Alks »

New units, very sketchy. Intended to be placeholders as the priority is now to have all units from the tree to have faction playable.
Attachments
Incubus and succubus 1st levels - cheap fast fighter and mage.
Incubus and succubus 1st levels - cheap fast fighter and mage.
units.png (9.19 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

Cool!
They are IMO the best images you did so far. Practise makes perfect.
One thing though, I'd give them a lighter color shade for there clothes or there skin. Right now you almost can't distinguish a difference.
Other than that really cool.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

sweetness! This race is coming along nicely. All I can crticize has already been adressed. Keep up the good work 8)
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

I like them, but yes... they are too dark... It is nicely seen in the upper middle one... I nearly cannot see what is it... it is something... ehhh... dark,but... :? :lol:
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
Alks

Post by Alks »

Ok, I'm redoing and polishing the units. Here's the set of level1 Phantoms, with some barbarian as refreshment.
Attachments
Level1units.png
Level1units.png (19.45 KiB) Viewed 5621 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

Looks good, I especially like the two Succubi and that shadow beast thing.

I'd give the middle upper one a bit more shading in his robe and hair. Right now they look just like two flat pieces of red and white.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Every day bring something new, especially for the noob.

I looked deeper in what GIMP can offer, and started revising, reediting, recoloring, reshading, lightening Phantoms. Is this change for better?
Attachments
revised.png
revised.png (22.49 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

simple question, simple answer:
Yes.

Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Overall much better. But, I must say the top two phantoms are so much better in paricular! :D IMO their robes have gone from being somewhat flat in color to very well shaded and lightened. Very nice work!
Alks

Post by Alks »

Shadings were done, they were just undistinguishable and they were a bit too shaded. Lightenings should be done much earlier.