Phantoms: new units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Alks

Post by Alks »

At this point faction has:

Two branches ready with stats(waiting to be tested)
Unique movement types(underground race should have agoraphobia, easy to kill on grassland)
I'm still struggling with Archer Line
When I'll have it finished, I think of one more branch - something purely unique to phantom faction.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Alks

Post by Alks »

Ok, I think I'm at the point, where I can improve these graphics with something more than just copy/cut/paste. Is it better now?

Your comments will help me or at least encourage.
Attachments
comparison.png
comparison.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 5572 times
Steelclad Brian

Post by Steelclad Brian »

Alks wrote:Ok, I think I'm at the point, where I can improve these graphics with something more than just copy/cut/paste. Is it better now?
Behold, the flesh reaper, destroyer of worlds, Lord Ironboobs!

Sorry...
Disto

Post by Disto »

Alks wrote:Ok, I think I'm at the point, where I can improve these graphics with something more than just copy/cut/paste. Is it better now?

Your comments will help me or at least encourage.
The cape and the scythe are the only improvements, and the scythe is only because what you had before just looked terrible. Sorry.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Alks

Post by Alks »

Still that's the feedback, Disto. You have no reason to say sorry.
Disto

Re: Phantom Lords

Post by Disto »

Alks wrote:After I started to look deeper into what people do, I tried my best at editing images. My first aim was to achieve the point, where there would be no(or at least slight) resemblance to the source unit. I base mostly on Neoriceisgood works - there are few units, which I have left unchanged. I can say that I built faction on them. Any comments would be more than appreciated.

I'm fighting with proper shading in some units. Hopefully I'll manage.

PHANTOM LORDS faction
It's nice to see people are actually making something useful out of the graphics libary. :) And it's good that you admit to editing them rather then just changing them slightly and saying there yours, good to have trustworthy people around.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Alks

Post by Alks »

Being motivated by your harsh criticism, I made the third version from scratch. It isn't re-edit, though I must admit I was looking at all Grim Reaper's pictures I found in net(including Children of Bodom covers, deviant-arts, etc.). It's nearly Creeping Biggerism, though he's more wider than taller in fact, so he looks bigger, than his actual size is.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

A definite improvement on your second picture, but you want for the normal stance, less of an action pose. I mean, this guy is going to be standing their like that most of the time. Also, the pose causes the scythe to cover part of where the face should be. This makes it both difficult to see the face and to discern what exactly the scythe is. I would consider not having him use both hand on the scythe until he attacks or defends.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Ok, some new made from scratch phantoms. I tried to make them more varied. No shadows yet, I leave till the end.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I definetly like the skulls. But they are a little too unvaried. (This coming fro an art newb...)
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Fynmiir wrote:I definetly like the skulls. But they are a little too unvaried. (This coming fro an art newb...)
ohhh.... that's harsh

But anyway I think that they look quite alright, considering this faction is just starting out
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I meant me being an art newb. I really don't know much. very sorry if ive been misinterpreted :( :( . Very sorry. I do think they are good. Better than i could do. Again sorry for the confusion. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Alks

Post by Alks »

Fynmiir wrote:I meant me being an art newb. I really don't know much. very sorry if ive been misinterpreted :( :( . Very sorry. I do think they are good. Better than i could do. Again sorry for the confusion. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I posted them just because it's hard for me to properly evaluate them. I only can note some progress, measured mainly by hard work and becoming more familiar with GIMP. But any feedback will make them only better. Never say sorry, when you are posting something, that has to be in a way contribution to someone else's work.

There's long way before each of these units to be fully satisfactory. And as far as I get lots of fun of doing them, I can put lots of time into making them more and more advanced.
Steelclad Brian

Post by Steelclad Brian »

Alks wrote:Ok, some new made from scratch phantoms. I tried to make them more varied. No shadows yet, I leave till the end.
newsketch18 is the best yet, since I think it's the most evocative from an art standpoint. It seems much less humanoid and just seems to flow in a way that suggests "phantom" rather then "humanoid guy with a dark cowl".

I think you could improve it by playing around with the alpha channel a little and making his coloring a little less flat so that he's a bit more visually amorphous. The eyes, for example, are a little bit too clear and monochromatic - at this size you can easily see the pixels that make them up.