* lvl3 heavy-armorer infantry, sword is deliberately over-sized
* lvl2 succubus
* lvl3(or 2) first-striker
Attachments
Newunits.png
Newunits.png (13.46 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Nice, but I think the blades of their weapons are too bright in contrast with the phantoms themselves
Alks

Post by Alks »

Ok, it was long absence, yet justified due to my overworking. Phantom Lords are testable, I started to play them a bit. Only few units are missing and some branches will be added. At this point I'm going to make lots of units and use any sketch I left behind. With whole faction, heroes and sub-branches that would be added in the campaign progress, I'm finally going to move PhLo a bit further.

It's one of the last long posts here, only art will be added, next longish post will hit the revived PhLo thread.
Attachments
Level 3 Fighter, possibly this line will have 4 levels, and duke will have fully-armored golden Emperor - I'm not sure about the sword position
Level 3 Fighter, possibly this line will have 4 levels, and duke will have fully-armored golden Emperor - I'm not sure about the sword position
ph-duke.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
First attempt at hero. Rough sketch, he is to look as cheap as lvl1(or even lvl0) as it is possible, typical "peasant phantom"
First attempt at hero. Rough sketch, he is to look as cheap as lvl1(or even lvl0) as it is possible, typical "peasant phantom"
ph-young-hunter.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
sparr

Post by sparr »

Lugo Moll wrote:Cool faction, but it looks a bit silly when they all have the same pose and face.
Attack of the Clones?
Alks

Post by Alks »

sparr wrote:Attack of the Clones?
They do share similarities only in branches and lines. In the earliest stages they had identical poses.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Here is ready aristocracy fighter line. Only minor art changes are possible. Any comments would be useful, harsh criticism much more welcome than lack of response. I do not aim at mainline art-level, however I do have ambitions of making original and not-ugly units. If they are ugly, share your opinion. The worst you can achieve is to set me back and start all artwork from scratch.
Attachments
Noble ---&amp;gt; Aristocrat ---&amp;gt; Sovereign<br />         ---&amp;gt; Lieutenant --&amp;gt; General
Noble ---&gt; Aristocrat ---&gt; Sovereign
---&gt; Lieutenant --&gt; General
aristocracybranchart.png (18.99 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Alks wrote: Any comments would be useful, harsh criticism much more welcome than lack of response.
Well, then--the eyes seem a bit too wide-placed on several of the units, and too high on the head. Also, they all seem to be staring directly at the viewer, whereas the Wesnoth convention seems to be more to look slightly down and to the right. Note that the hair on the Noble, Aristocrat and Sovereign seems to be oriented correctly, but the eyes don't match.

The overall pose of the Lieutenant seems awkward and stilted somehow, but it's hard for me to be more specific. Also, the costume of the General seems strange--it looks as if he were holding a banner between himself and his sword.

Other than that, they seem fairly decent. Not, as you say, mainline quality, but decent.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

My only problem is with the General. His cloak seems to be a bit...odd. Sorry, can't be more specific. It just looks like it is a dress... sort of...sorry :oops:
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

It looks like the generals cloak is in front of thim :P
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Also, that level 2 lieutenant looks weaker than the level 1 he advances from. RIPLIB exsists in art as well as stats.

Other then that, though, looks awesome!
hey.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The forms seem OK, but overall, the colors are too saturated.
Alks

Post by Alks »

All notes were taken.

Concerning Lieutenant and General: I possibly remove the general, and replace it even with some of older .png,

DFool: Saturation... YAF simply gained new meaning(Yet Another Filter). I messed up a lot, when I didn't save old backup sketches, now pixel art is much more difficult.

I'll post renowned Lieutenant, General with footman line(cheap fighter) when the time will come and i get some time to sit down. Maybe some animations will be included. Nevertheless, I started Phantoms assuming that they will take months to be completed, and they will be completed in some short mini-campaign.
Gale

Post by Gale »

i see some of the line were anti aliased(the hair, weapons), i think non-anti-alias-ed unit is looks better
and the shadow is not transparent
toms

Post by toms »

You mean it is looking aliased and you would like to see it antialiased. 8)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
toms

Post by toms »

aliased is never good, because it looks unprofessional and unpleasant.

Please end the off-topic now.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!