Phantoms: new units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Alks

Post by Alks »

I don't want to make phantoms elusive spirits. At this point I'm experimenting to make each line look differently. So there will be hooded humanoids, there will be pixie-like beings(like sketch18), there will be maybe some translucent phantoms, surely there will be red-eyed armor-packed beings or some non-humanoid shadows. It takes lots of work, at this point I'm doing lots of concepts with pencil, and *still* learning how to add lots of details to the existing units.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Again some units. Striving towards dark-fantasy theme.

Phantoms lose cloaks, as someone suggested. They look too dark-elvish, but mixing them with *classic* phantom units should make them at least distinctive from spider-lovers.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yay creeping biggerism. :roll:

Those units won't even fit inside the hex.

Try to keep your units under 50 pixels tall, unless they're supposed to be giants, like trolls or woses. That helps fight creeping biggerism.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Alks

Post by Alks »

turin wrote:Yay creeping biggerism. :roll:
Indeed...
I did the basic sketches in hexes, but when I opened new frame...
*back to work* (next day)
toms

Post by toms »

Basically they look nice.
But, as said, creeping biggerism, and it needs more details here and there.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Alks

Post by Alks »

Ok, removed Biggerism, "hexxed" them - and added "Owls", female archers of Phantom Lords.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I really like that the new Owls have their crossbows up in the air. It adds a very distinctive flair to them. Very nice. 8)
toms

Post by toms »

Maybe the owls should not hold their crossbows exactly in the same direction?
Alks

Post by Alks »

toms wrote:Maybe the owls should not hold their crossbows exactly in the same direction?
Don't know exactly what you mean..., I tried not to interfere crossbows with dark body of owls.
toms

Post by toms »

I meant why is the owl raising both xbows in the air and exactly the same direction? :?

If you could fix that, it´d be nice. I like the idea of having two crossbows. :wink:
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

I meant why is the owl raising both xbows in the air and exactly the same direction?
And what is wrong with that? :shock:
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Personally I think the Owl looks pretty damn nice. It's well named as well.
But one thing: It's doing the bloody spilts. This seems to be a regular trait of Alks' artwork.
But I see no problem with two crossbows, they look good.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

hooray for metal boobs! but seriously, make those breastplates smaller, they're big as the guy's head for god sakes. and also, on those top two, please make the arms bigger or the shoulder guards smaller. I know Wesnoth is supposed to be cartoony, but those proportions are just blech. I don't wanna sound like I'm neg'ing your work, it takes effort to make these sprites after all. Let's just say I'm not partial to your style...
PS I also agree with Zhukov, those bloody splits. However if you find you just can't make a unit without it doing a split, try and make it from different angles, like legs split from the side so one is closer perspective-wise than the other leg. Sorry for the harsh criticism, but I take pride as an artist and just have to say what I think is wrong with other's art. :wink:
Alks

Post by Alks »

Nice feedback from you, Zhukov and Dragon Master. Splits-syndrome will take me some time to eliminate, just as well as some other details. I'll post improved owlz, but as an addition to some new units.
Alks

Post by Alks »

I redid the Owlz(pic #4,#5) - no splits, lady with two crossbows holds them under different angles. I added Owl variant with longbow (pic#1) and cloak, sketch of Phantom mounts(pic#2) and one of aristocrats(pic#3). And with one frame left, I added some totally un-Wesnotish dwarf with two steam nailers.

What is essential?
a) are they too dark? White background makes it a bit more contrastive, so take this into account
b) I'm having lots of fun imagining things that I'm unable to draw. Have mercy ;P
Attachments
someunits2.png
someunits2.png (21.84 KiB) Viewed 4525 times